Trade Deadline Thread

KrankinSox

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, contending teams don’t absorb a player like Hosmer for prospects, just doesn’t make any sense.

Getting a guy like Gore or Abrams fills a starting position for the next 6-7 years for cheaper than signing an equivalent level free agent to do it.  While it is probably too out there for the Sox, it isn't a bad idea.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

OMG, this clown is hilarious.  If I get this right, he’s claiming he doesn’t steal his ideas from Soxtalk but rather his source helps craft Twitter polls around rumors 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Uh, oh , hurt feelings alert.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Getting a guy like Gore or Abrams fills a starting position for the next 6-7 years for cheaper than signing an equivalent level free agent to do it.  While it is probably too out there for the Sox, it isn't a bad idea.

Its like over  100 million for that. Its not much cheaper than anything. And Gore is completely broken. 

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

There's no guarantee either of those guys succeed. Absorbing 100m just for the chance of that happening? You're basically paying 100m for a minor league prospect. That's steep as hell.

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I still don't buy the claim that the Sox don't have the minor leaguers to complete an Eduardo Escobar trade (Fegan said that in his AMA basically). He's a freaking 1 year rental at 2B. It can't cost that much. 

Right, and frankly sox with their system are likely going to try to be the last girl at the dance (for lack of a better phrase, there has to be better ones than that).

Hell, even get on the phone with LAA, no way they are buying 5th in wildcard with a 5 game deficit. Get Jose Iglesias over here to play 2b as last option. It's not hard to find stop gap 2b.

3 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I still don't buy the claim that the Sox don't have the minor leaguers to complete an Eduardo Escobar trade (Fegan said that in his AMA basically). He's a freaking 1 year rental at 2B. It can't cost that much. 

This could be the confounding variable. We will need to see what the eventual deal is.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

At a full pick up of the contract, I count about $70 million.

Yeah but you are paying whoever you take on too. So if they're worth it heir arb numbers will be high. Overall bill would be hefty even if they do work out.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

There's no guarantee either of those guys succeed. Absorbing 100m just for the chance of that happening? You're basically paying 100m for a minor league prospect. That's steep as hell.

it's about $70 mill over 4 years at this point.

What'd we go all in for robert on, 56 mill?

12 minutes ago, Sockin said:

FWIW Fegan is doing an AMA on reddit right now and he does not think the Sox will be adding a 2B and will instead add bullpen pieces. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/whitesox/comments/osohaj/ama_with_james_fegan_from_the_athletic/h6q7bq2/

Going to the playoffs with Garcia or Mendick as our 2B would be very disappointing. Especially when there is a rental out there that is much better that wouldn't cost a ton

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

it's about $70 mill over 4 years at this point.

What'd we go all in for robert on, 56 mill?

That is true. I also didn't realize how well Abrams was doing at a young age in AA. Damnit, those fucking Padres.

Edited by ron883

Just now, Buehrle>Wood said:

Yeah but you are paying whoever you take on too. So if they're worth it their arb numbers will be high. Overall bill would be hefty.

And about the time you pay them a "real" salary is the time that Hosmer drops off of the payroll.  Superstar level players are getting deals in the $200m to $300 million range today.  That is only going to go up in the next 6 to 7 years.  Over that time period you are going to get the cheapest years of this players career, or something like $30-40 million for six to seven seasons.  if you trust your scouts and get $200 million in value for $70 million in extra cost, you came out ahead of what you could go to the market place for.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Also Bruce says the Sox are one of the teams interested in Kimbrel. Unless their offer is far superior, there is no way that will happen. 

Probably not. 

I would be hugely relieved if we got Kimbrel though. Life certainly would be easier with Kopech+Kimbrel+Hendriks.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

There is zero chance JR takes Hosmer's money.

I 100% believe this.  It's just a shame, because there is a nice niche chance here to take advantage of Preller's aggressiveness and put your team in a better position talentwise, which is what we should care about most.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Probably not. 

I would be hugely relieved if we got Kimbrel though. Life certainly would be easier with Kopech+Kimbrel+Hendriks.

Yes, but if Kimbrel helped the Sox win it all, and they didn't get a package back with some elite talent, their fanbase , even though they don't care about the White Sox, would never forgive them.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes, but if Kimbrel helped the Sox win it all, and they didn't get a package back with some elite talent, their fanbase , even though they don't care about the White Sox, would never forgive them.

😭

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

At a full pick up of the contract, I count about $70 million.

$70M seems about right.  4/$60M + whatever is left of his $21M this season.  Opt out after 22 if he were so inclined.

I'd love for the Sox to be the ones to eat $$ for good players in return but I don't know if we ever see it.