Trade Deadline Thread

KrankinSox

12 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

If nothing happens of course Hahn deserves blame.

Whether that's for being unwilling to trade the prospect capital to make the obvious upgrades this team needs, or allowing the farm system to reach a point where it's so baron they couldn't even trade for adequate players that are 2 months from free agency. You'd have to pick one of those choices. We all know Leury isn't good enough to be plan A at 2B for a World Series contender.

Yes and no.  Entering this year, the Sox had a bunch of guys who looked like they'd be useful trade chips:  Lambert, Stiever, Kelly, Thompson, Dalquist to name a few.  They've pretty much all underperformed or been injured.  Sure Hahn deserves some of the blame, but so do the players, coaches, scouts, and the development staff.

16 minutes ago, mqr said:

cool with me if the choice is add multiple relievers or an rp and 2b

I would do Escobar and a good bullpen arm. If one of Crochet, Bummer, Marshall, or Heur come close to figuring things out, then that is like having that second bullpen piece in a trade anyway. We don't have a 2B on this roster that could replace Escobar. 

8 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Hosmer's only value, at this point, is to an early-stage rebuilder, with 1B ABs to spare, who can take his contract to get some prospects along with it.

We say this all the time but I feel like there is always a move that everyone questions and says is dumb and this definitely qualifies.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Agreed but Fegan saying no 2nd base addition is scary

Fegan obviously is plugged in but he basically just said that was his guess. His guess is probably only slightly better than any of ours. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Hosmer's only value, at this point, is to an early-stage rebuilder, with 1B ABs to spare, who can take his contract to get some prospects along with it.

I will be honest, if we got Hosmer and cut him the next day, I would be fine with it.  If we got him and used him as a lefty bat off of the bench for a year or two, I'd be OK with that too.  To me it isn't about Hosmer, it is about the guy we got for taking him on.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

We say this all the time but I feel like there is always a move that everyone questions and says is dumb and this definitely qualifies.

You know what -- I think I see it, actually.

Hosmer, the bulk of his contract, and a boatload of prospects to the Rangers for Joey Gallo.

26 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

In what sense.......

Our overvalued love for Codi Heuer?  That Crochet is going to be some sort of a stud SP going forward?

That Kimbrel improves our window for next 2 years to win a Title?  

Trading 2 of our best relievers both cheap and team controlled for 5 more seasons each for 2 vet relievers on short term deals is so dumb. Kimbrel is good, but he makes $16M a year. We cant pay 2 relievers $30M next season unless JR spikes payroll well over $150M. Kimbrel is paid what he’s worth, giving up a legit arm in Crochet not to mention Heuer who has been disappointing this year but will be a cog of BP for years to come is just a terrible move. Not to mention the ++ you mentioned. No love lost on Lopez obviously but your proposed trade is trash for the Sox. I want nothing to do with Kimbrel if he costs anything near that. Sox just can’t afford it and that $16M could be much better allocated this offseason. You can’t even guarantee that Kimbrel/Tepera will be better than Crochet/Heuer the last 2 months of the season and we’re giving up 2 big arms for 1 shot. Just a shortsighted move all around. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

What makes you think this team is capable of going deep into the playoffs?  The starting pitching is there.  You can only hope the offense is firing on all cylinders. The bullpen is a dart board with consistency.   A veteran arm is needed there.  We also assume everyone will be healthy.  Too many IFs for this season.

First of all, any team making the playoffs is a threat. 

Secondly, this is a legitimately strong team. The starting rotation in particular is capable of winning a series with only a little help.

Third - the White Sox are only going to get so many chances. Rodon is gone after this year and they’re not going to have Kopech stretched out for next season at all. Lynn and Giolito are gone after 23, and who knows if there will be a 2022 season. 

Fourth, you assume no one else will have any problems? Correa will stay healthy this time? There will be no upsets by a wild card team? Betts will single handedly  bring the Dodgers back from 3-1 again?

There are some things you can’t insure against. Lynn has historically been bad against the Astros, but you can’t replace him just in case. But 2b needs help and right now the White Sox middle relief is a wasteland - the only guy on the roster who might give you a quality 8th inning is Kopech, and he might pitch only 1 time in a 5 game series with how they are using him right now. 

There are small moves right now that can and should be done to help this season. If they don’t do anything bigger - fine. But at least give it a shot.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Story, Baez, Merrifield, Asdrubal Cabrera, Cesar Hernandez, Josh Harrison

It's a buyer's market, particularly at 2B. The idea that the Sox "don't have the prospects" to acquire 2 months of a dirt-cheap Josh Harrison or Asdrubal Cabrera is asinine. These types of rentals never go for real prospects

• Like 2

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

It's a buyer's market, particularly at 2B. The idea that the Sox "don't have the prospects" to acquire 2 months of a dirt-cheap Josh Harrison or Asdrubal Cabrera is asinine. These types of rentals never go for real prospects

That’s why this whole thing is so strange