Trade Deadline Thread

KrankinSox

24 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

We need to replace the last guy or two of our bullpen with solid veteran relievers.  Not replace our 3rd and 4th best relievers.  Tepera would fit the bill. 

This is a trade we'd be regretting immensely in short order.  The Sox don't need to push all their chips in to win the 2021 world series.  They're going to be good for a very long time if they're not dopes. I too want to strengthen the bullpen!  But I am not trading 10 years of Crochet and Heuer for 1.33 seasons of Craig Kimbrel at like $25M. 

We can agree to disagree.  I think for me I do not see Codi as a future big time bullpen piece like you or some others.  I'm also a believer that opportunities to win don't always come around as we think they will.......you take advantage when you can.

But I respect your opinion.

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

This would be my vote. 

Number #1 priority is a quality reliever.  Number 2 would be a quality reliever.  Second base would be my third priority and the fourth would be the outfielder.   Guy's like Bryant are interesting because of versatility and shortness of contract IMO.

Just now, 2Deep said:

We can agree to disagree.  I think for me I do not see Codi as a future big time bullpen piece like you or some others.  I'm also a believer that opportunities to win don't always come around as we think they will.......you take advantage when you can.

But I respect your opinion.

You can't teach 6 foot 5 and 100 MPH.  Codi has a 3.3 career FIP as a just turned 24 YO.  He's going to a be a very good high leverage major league reliever.  If I had to take Heuer or Tepera for the rest of 21, I'd take Codi.  Tepera career FIP of 4.08.  I'd love to have Tepera in this pen instead of say...Ruiz or Lopez...but yeah.

Fair enough on the agree to disagree.  Fairly certain you won't be seeing Crochet or Heuer change teams anytime soon.  If Crochet goes, it's not going to be for a short term fix on a market rate deal. 

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Number #1 priority is a quality reliever.  Number 2 would be a quality reliever.  Second base would be my third priority and the fourth would be the outfielder.   Guy's like Bryant are interesting because of versatility and shortness of contract IMO.

Agreed. I just don't think the Sox should give up enough of their resources to make 3 deals. That's why I wouldn't trade for a 2B unless it was really cheap.

35 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I wouldn't trade Sheets for Escobar.

There's GOT to be somethign else along the lines that we can trade for Escobar. Guy is a 2 month rental.

Other than that, good deals and results on the site.

Escobar should cost salary relief and a small piece like Mercedes.  Anything more is an overpay IMO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I kind of wish we'd give him some tick in Right Field right now. Guy has 17 homers in 61 games. The strike outs are bad, but his wRC+ is damn good this year.

.467 ISO in AAA so far 🔥🔥🔥

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

It's a buyer's market, particularly at 2B. The idea that the Sox "don't have the prospects" to acquire 2 months of a dirt-cheap Josh Harrison or Asdrubal Cabrera is asinine. These types of rentals never go for real prospects

Exactly, even if Escobar is cost prohibitive (which seems crazy to me), we should be able to get a Cabrera or Harrison for a song.  Zero excuse to not add some middle infielder.

19 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

The way people talk about Escobar here you would think he had an albatross contract lol

Remember when we needed to unload Avi Garcia because he had gotten too expensive at 4 or 5 million?  Escobar is not 3 times the player that Avi is IMO.  Like any person who gets raises year after year...eventually you get more expensive than your talents warrant.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

Remember when we needed to unload Avi Garcia because he had gotten too expensive at 4 or 5 million?  Escobar is not 3 times the player that Avi is IMO.  Like any person who gets raises year after year...eventually you get more expensive than your talents warrant.

Escobar is signed to an incredibly team friendly contract that ends at the end of this year.  The reason his value should be suppressed is because he’s a rental 2B in a market without a ton of teams looking for a 2B upgrade.  Under no way, shape, or form is Escobar overpaid.

• Like 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Escobar is signed to an incredibly team friendly contract that ends at the end of this year.  The reason his value should be suppressed is because he’s a rental 2B in a market without a ton of teams looking for a 2B upgrade.  Under no way, shape, or form is Escobar overpaid.

Right. It's really not comparable situations. We didn't move on from Avi because of his price. We wanted to move on from him because he wasn't good.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

At 7.5 million he is fairly paid and at a prorated salary I hope we get him.  My point is simply that no one is going to overpay to get him.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

At 7.5 million he is fairly paid and at a prorated salary I hope we get him.  My point is simply that no one is going to overpay to get him.

Put it this way: the D-backs motivation to move him isn't because of his salary. He's making like $3 mill rest of year. It's because the team sucks, he's a free agent after this year, and they won't give him a QO to get anything for him. An All-Star at that remaining salary is not a burden.

Edited by manbearpuig