Trade Deadline Thread

KrankinSox

1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

Put it this way: the D-backs motivation to move him isn't because of his salary. He's making like $3 mill rest of year.

Although to be fair, there's no reason the D-Backs should pay that money either. (Then again, there's no good reason they should have paid him this month).

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Although to be fair, there's no reason the D-Backs should pay that money either. (Then again, there's no good reason they should have paid him this month).

Exactly. It's not killing them to pay it but there is no reason for them to pay the last 2 months since he would walk for nothing at the end of the season.

Edited by manbearpuig

6 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Put it this way: the D-backs motivation to move him isn't because of his salary. He's making like $3 mill rest of year. It's because the team sucks, he's a free agent after this year, and they won't give him a QO to get anything for him. An All-Star at that remaining salary is not a burden.

Their motivation is to save the 3 million and perhaps get a useable something.  I suggested Mercedes in my original post because they would actually be able to claim they got something of value with the NL  DH coming into existence in all probability.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Their motivation is to save the 3 million and perhaps get a useable something.  I suggested Mercedes in my original post because they would actually be able to claim they got something of value with the NL  DH coming into existence in all probability.  

Mercedes is pretty much worth nothing right now. Really no argument to be made there. I bet the only way he gets dealt is to an AL team for nothing or after NL officially gets the DH in the off-season. Not for a switch-hitting All-Star 2B with power who costs very little salary-wise who fits perfectly onto our team.

Edited by manbearpuig

Is that the same surgery Archer had?

It's the same problem. However the are 3 basic causes if the problem.  It can be a first rib mobility issue. It can be an impingement in the neck. It can be an impingement near the shoulder with the pen minor under the corcoid process. 

Just depends on where the impingement is occurring so while it's the same problem could be a very different issue and surgery.

Mercedes is pretty much worth nothing right now. I bet the only way he gets dealt is to an AL team or after NL officially gets the DH in the off-season.

Fan perception counts for something.  When we sucked and had nothing to trade we would have easily bought into the Mercedes hype.  Whatever Arizona gets for Escobar... I bet it's not much sexier than Mercedes.

• Haha 3

Just now, poppysox said:

Fan perception counts for something.  When we sucked and had nothing to trade we would have easily bought into the Mercedes hype.  Whatever Arizona gets for Escobar... I bet it's not much sexier than Mercedes.

Eh, if I were Arizona I would want something better than a position-less 28 year-old with terrible make-up. But that's just me.

5 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Eh, if I were Arizona I would want something better than a position-less 28 year-old with terrible make-up. But that's just me.

Adolfo continues to make a ridiculous amount of sense as a key part of that. 

He's not ready to be in the big leagues next year, but he's talented and out of options. He's not going to make the White Sox out of ST under any reasonable circumstance. He would have value to a big league team that needs talented guys but has no obvious path to competing next year. No team in baseball appears to have a harder path to competing next year than the D-Backs, not only are they worst record in MLB bad, but they have the Dodgers, Padres, and Giants ahead of them even if they want to try to get better soon.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Yes, it’s to save a little cash, maybe even do the player a little solid and get him in a playoff race, and hope a lotto ticket produces something. Sometimes they do, most of the time they do not. Bagwell and Smoltz a couple of the better ones. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Adolfo continues to make a ridiculous amount of sense as a key part of that. 

He's not ready to be in the big leagues next year, but he's talented and out of options. He's not going to make the White Sox out of ST under any reasonable circumstance. He would have value to a big league team that needs talented guys but has no obvious path to competing next year. No team in baseball appears to have a harder path to competing next year than the D-Backs, not only are they worst record in MLB bad, but they have the Dodgers, Padres, and Giants ahead of them even if they want to try to get better soon.

Yeah he makes sense for a rebuilding team that can give him regular at bats next year.

Yeah he makes sense for a rebuilding team that can give him regular at bats next year.

I am still stumped at how the D-Backs and White Sox haven't figured out how to make Adolfo + one other piece of some value work for Escobar. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I am still stumped at how the D-Backs and White Sox haven't figured out how to make Adolfo + one other piece of some value work for Escobar. 

I think they eventually will. Dbacks probably just hoping something better presents itself in the next 75 hours. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I think they eventually will. Dbacks probably just hoping something better presents itself in the next 75 hours. 

Then the white sox could/should have improve the second piece and gotten it done a month ago. Bah. Frustrating.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Then the white sox could/should have improve the second piece and gotten it done a month ago. Bah. Frustrating.

Hard to be too frustrated when the Sox have an 8.5 game league. Maybe it’s 9.5 with EE, but that trade is much more about October than it is about extending a division lead that is already approaching insurmountable for the Indians. 

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes, it’s to save a little cash, maybe even do the player a little solid and get him in a playoff race, and hope a lotto ticket produces something. Sometimes they do, most of the time they do not. Bagwell and Smoltz a couple of the better ones. 

I think this is exactly right.  Currently, the argument is between one unimportant piece or two.  If we give the Diamondbacks let's say both Adolfo and Mercedes RH will say we gave up a ton but the fans deserve his best effort.  If we give up only one guy...the Diamondbacks say we think we got something special in "fill in the blank".  

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Hard to be too frustrated when the Sox have an 8.5 game league. Maybe it’s 9.5 with EE, but that trade is much more about October than it is about extending a division lead that is already approaching insurmountable for the Indians. 

Right. I look back at the last month and where we are now and its hard to be frustrated about it. I said this earlier. It's good they didn't make a panic move a month or two ago and give up more. We're 8.5 games up in a division with 4 teams that could sell. The deadline hasn't passed yet. We're in a good spot to make a move or 2 in the next 70 hours.

Edited by manbearpuig

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Except we've now fallen 2.5 games off the pace for Home Field Advantage in the AL (and technically are in 4th place, although 1 of the 2 teams above us would still be a wild card team).

3 hours ago, fathom said:

That’s why this whole thing is so strange

21 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Maybe they're trying for something bigger (Story/Baez) and will end up settling for an Escobar, Harrison, or Cabrera type once it's clear that they won't convert on a bigger target. I know you could argue that Escobar is closer to the fist group than he is to the second one, but it's the only explanation I can think of for why they haven't already traded Lazaro Leal/[insert worthless minor leaguer here] for a Josh Harrison type's contract