Trade Deadline Thread

KrankinSox

The dilemma that the Sox face is not what is being focused upon by most fans, who continue to clamour for the Sox to trade for a second baseman. Fans aren't satisfied with the offensive production, from the keystone position. With Robert and Grandal soon to rejoin the club, and Eloy already back in the lineup, the Sox don't need more offense, in general. However, they would still benefit greatly, by having better lineup balance. 

The problem is that, aside from Grandal, the one left handed power bat, that is currently on this roster is Sheets and he will have no place to play, once everyone is back. Robert will be in center, Vaughn should be in left, which means that several guys will be vying for playing time between a corner OF, first base and DH. Abreu, Eloy and Grandal are the obvious guys to fill those 3 slots. Yasmani is not likely to be able to catch much, this soon after his injury. Therefore, first base and DH are really the only 2 spots for Abreu and Grandal. That leaves Eloy and Sheets for one outfield spot. 

Last night, Eloy was in LF and Vaughn was moved to RF. Even with Robert's range in CF, having both Vaughn and Eloy in the corners will present a real challenge, defensively. Nevertheless, that may be the way to go, for the rest of this season. In any case, Sheets has no place to play.

The rationale behind the need to acquire someone to play second is not that the team needs an adequate second baseman. Leury is fine, defensively at that position and is adequate offensively, at the bottom of the order. Bringing in Escobar is not intended to fill a void at the position, but is rather intended to provide a LH power bat. It just so happens that second base is the only spot available for that bat.

I still believe that Escobar is the best fit and will ultimately be acquired before the Friday trade deadline. Moreover, I don't think that the cost will be very high. As for Sheets, I don't expect him to be traded. He is the best hope, for a middle of the order LH bat, in the organization. If Grandal can resume a normal catching load, next year, I could see Abreu and Sheets sharing the first base/DH roles, in 2022.  
Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

He shouldn't come back until he's ready to catch. Too much of a roster crunch otherwise if you can't send Zavala down when he's back.

That's a good point. They may have to send Gavin back to Charlotte, if they want to bring back Grandal, before he is ready to catch. 

Edited by Lillian

26 minutes ago, Lillian said:
The dilemma that the Sox face is not what is being focused upon by most fans, who continue to clamour for the Sox to trade for a second baseman. Fans aren't satisfied with the offensive production, from the keystone position. With Robert and Grandal soon to rejoin the club, and Eloy already back in the lineup, the Sox don't need more offense, in general. However, they would still benefit greatly, by having better lineup balance. 

The problem is that, aside from Grandal, the one left handed power bat, that is currently on this roster is Sheets and he will have no place to play, once everyone is back. Robert will be in center, Vaughn should be in left, which means that several guys will be vying for playing time between a corner OF, first base and DH. Abreu, Eloy and Grandal are the obvious guys to fill those 3 slots. Yasmani is not likely to be able to catch much, this soon after his injury. Therefore, first base and DH are really the only 2 spots for Abreu and Grandal. That leaves Eloy and Sheets for one outfield spot. 

Last night, Eloy was in LF and Vaughn was moved to RF. Even with Robert's range in CF, having both Vaughn and Eloy in the corners will present a real challenge, defensively. Nevertheless, that may be the way to go, for the rest of this season. In any case, Sheets has no place to play.

The rationale behind the need to acquire someone to play second is not that the team needs an adequate second baseman. Leury is fine, defensively at that position and is adequate offensively, at the bottom of the order. Bringing in Escobar is not intended to fill a void at the position, but is rather intended to provide a LH power bat. It just so happens that second base is the only spot available for that bat.

I still believe that Escobar is the best fit and will ultimately be acquired before the Friday trade deadline. Moreover, I don't think that the cost will be very high. As for Sheets, I don't expect him to be traded. He is the best hope, for a middle of the order LH bat, in the organization. If Grandal can resume a normal catching load, next year, I could see Abreu and Sheets sharing the first base/DH roles, in 2022.  

I agree with parts of this.  Lefty bat with some pop helpful?  Yes.  Nowhere to really insert except at 2nd?  True.  

Leury is fine defensively long term?  No.  Adequate offensively?  Against bad teams yes as the stats show, but not against playoff caliber teams.  We need someone at 2nd that can either upgrade to elite defensively and/or add offensively.  

Looking ahead to next year, I don't think Sheets has a place, which makes me say if he could be part of a package for a big add like Kimbrel and Tepera or Trea Turner, I'd do that.   I see a huge logjam next year with Vaughn/Eloy/Abreu covering almost all of the regular AB's at LF/DH/1B.   Sheets would only be seeing AB's a couple times a week.  Just my two cents.

39 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I swear, every single post you have is a gosh dang novel and written about a left handed hitter.  Kudos to you for your determination.

I'm going to preface this by saying I am not comfortable with the bullpen situation and they should fix that: 

BUT, it's entirely possible that they do everything right and add bullpen pieces and maybe a second basemen, and get unceremoniously swept, just like it's entirely possible they do nothing and win the damn thing, just like it's entirely possible they add someone who helps and they win and later makes you think, maybe that wasn't the best idea.

I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride. 

Edited by mqr

20 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I swear, every single post you have is a gosh dang novel and written about a left handed hitter.  Kudos to you for your determination.

Just focusing on the one glaring deficiency of the potentially best Sox team, in my lifetime, as a Sox fan, which goes back to the 50's. The only other issue to address is the bullpen, which was expected to be a strength, but has been problematic.

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

Leury is not fine offensively at 2nd base for the playoffs. Especially in the WS when the pitcher bats as well. I'd like to have a lineup with no auto outs and power up and down the order. I'm okay with Leury for a division title run, but the lineups in the playoffs will be loaded. EE is a lefty with power and is a rental, so the fit is perfect. I would get him and a good bullpen arm or two if I'm lucky. If I only get 1 good bullpen arm I'm okay with that. Because if Bummer, Marshall, or Crochet figure it out, it is like adding a second arm anyway. 

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Leury is not fine offensively at 2nd base for the playoffs. Especially in the WS when the pitcher bats as well. I'd like to have a lineup with no auto outs and power up and down the order. I'm okay with Leury for a division title run, but the lineups in the playoffs will be loaded. EE is a lefty with power and is a rental, so the fit is perfect. I would get him and a good bullpen arm or two if I'm lucky. If I only get 1 good bullpen arm I'm okay with that. Because if Bummer, Marshall, or Crochet figure it out, it is like adding a second arm anyway. 

In a playoff series, who knows? Bucky Dent and Brian Doyle have been postseason legends. In 2000, Frank Thomas and Paul Konerko were 0 fer. But, IMO, you are right, there is no way the team should settle for Leury when there are a lot of other options available. 

9 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Leury Garcia has a better OPS+ than both 2005 Juan Uribe and Scott Podsednik

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

In a playoff series, who knows? Bucky Dent and Brian Doyle have been postseason legends. In 2000, Frank Thomas and Paul Konerko were 0 fer. But, IMO, you are right, there is no way the team should settle for Leury when there are a lot of other options available. 

Yep I'm not saying a Blum moment can't happen. But for the duration of the post season, I want EE. 

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Escobar is a better slugger right now than all three of those guys. Which is why I want him. 

Alls I'm saying is the bullpen is significantly bigger issue than Leury playing 2nd. You could look back at just about every world series winner and find a regular hitting his level or worse. 

Edited by mqr

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

Alls I'm saying is the bullpen is significantly bigger issue than Leury playing 2nd. You could look back at just about every world series winner and find a regular hitting his level or worse. 

True. But we can get both. Give me the 2B to give us a deadly lineup 1-9 and give me a good bullpen arm.