Trade Deadline Thread

KrankinSox

1 minute ago, Wisebri224 said:

I see a huge logjam next year with Vaughn/Eloy/Abreu covering almost all of the regular AB's at LF/DH/1B.   Sheets would only be seeing AB's a couple times a week.  Just my two cents.

If this season has taught us anything, its that these situations sort themselves out.  Sheets will get his at bats if he's producing.  I too would move him in the right deal, but he's got a role on this club on this down the stretch because we have so few left handed sticks. 

11 minutes ago, mqr said:

Alls I'm saying is the bullpen is significantly bigger issue than Leury playing 2nd. 

Disagree.  

An upgrade in the bullpen might be for 15 innings.  Heuer or Ruiz could easily match or outpitch their replacement over that sample size.

The chances of middle infield replacement outplaying Leury are seemingly much greater.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, GREEDY said:

Disagree.  

An upgrade in the bullpen might be for 15 innings.  Heuer or Ruiz could easily match or outpitch their replacement over that sample size.

The chances of middle infield replacement outplaying Leury are seemingly much greater.  

I think one thing they have to do is get Bummer fixed. If he is fixed, Hendriks, Bummer,Kopech is about as nice of a back end of a bullpen as you can find. Heuer getting fixed would help a lot. Maybe they have something with Lopez in the bullpen. He hasn't looked so bad. But they do need to add.

5 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Disagree.  

I go back to - this team is awesome with or without a move. Almost all moves being discussed increase World Series odds a percent or two at best. With that in mind - I continue to believe an org with the payroll constrains this one has - is typically better off being conservative on the deal side vs aggressive. 

Chips key for long run and flexibility when those assets can be used for > percentage point increases (or leveraging an area of depth to fill a lt area of weakness). 

That said - I don’t think the above is what Hahn will do. I feel he will try to swing big. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Disagree.  

I'm with this, though I worry if our starters start to wear, it may expose the bullpen even more. It's a balancing act, but I also totally agree that we have bullpen pieces likely to just do better.

15 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Disagree.  

I would disagree depending on the pitcher of course. If it is an impact reliever there will be more than 15 innings including the playoffs. Also those innings if there are in high leverage situation are much more important than many of the AB's from the 2B. It's not just the amount of time that stats like WAR count, it's also the importance of the situation that counts.

An impact reliver will have a greater impact on this team's playoff success.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I would disagree depending on the pitcher of course. If it is an impact reliever there will be more than 15 innings including the playoffs. Also those innings if there are in high leverage situation are much more important than many of the AB's from the 2B. It's not just the amount of time that stats like WAR count, it's also the importance of the situation that counts.

Agreed 100%. We have potentially 7 stars in the lineup when everyone is healthy. Of course, another potential injury to the team kinda fucks that up.I want them to get a 2B but the pen has to be a higher priority.

28 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I mean, are you talking Kimbrel?  Or more like Hudson?

Because I'll take Heuer and Escobar over Hudson and Leury.

Obviously, I'd prefer both but my reply was to someone saying RP was significantly more of a need.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Define "impact reliever"?  

That's the problem right there.  I only see one in the market, that's Kimbrel.   a) we don't have the prospects to trade for him  b) that's a lot of $$$ that would be tied to he bullpen, we have to be realistic with that here c) how do we know either him or Hendricks can adapt with not being the closer? 

Just now, Jerksticks said:

I really just want Robert, goodHeuer, and goodBummer.

That team wins the a World Series IMO. 

Especially Robert and goodBummer.  You get the real Bummer and add a RP to this team and they become the bullpen we hoped they would be.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

If this season has taught us anything, its that these situations sort themselves out.  Sheets will get his at bats if he's producing.  I too would move him in the right deal, but he's got a role on this club on this down the stretch because we have so few left handed sticks. 

Sheets production is pretty damn impressive given that he's rocking a 205 BABIP.

58 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think one thing they have to do is get Bummer fixed. If he is fixed, Hendriks, Bummer,Kopech is about as nice of a back end of a bullpen as you can find. Heuer getting fixed would help a lot. Maybe they have something with Lopez in the bullpen. He hasn't looked so bad. But they do need to add.

As the biggest Bummer excuse maker on this forum this year, I have to say I think he's broken for this year. He's not done going forward, but I don't think he fixes whatever is ailing him within this season - you can't count on him anymore imo.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

As the biggest Bummer excuse maker on this forum this year, I have to say I think he's broken for this year. He's not done going forward, but I don't think he fixes whatever is ailing him within this season - you can't count on him anymore imo.

If there is one guy on the pen who can sure turn it around, it's him.   He's truly been a "tough luck" pitcher where balls are finding holes and with 2 strike counts.  

Just now, HOFHurt35 said:

If there is one guy on the pen who can sure turn it around, it's him.   He's truly been a "tough luck" pitcher where balls are finding holes and with 2 strike counts.  

His ground ball rate is great, and he's been unlucky there, but he just can't throw strikes. He's lost this year with the strike zone and I have my doubts that he finds it.

The Dodgers/Giants/Padres rivalries are going to really drive these prices a bit high IMO. I'd love to add someone, but those 3 are going to drive the price up pretty high on some of these bigger names/pieces. 

Feel like the A's, Astros, Mets, Braves, Brewers, Sox, Rays, etc. are all comfortable pursuing more of the second and third tier options. Meanwhile those three West Coast teams are like sharks driving the market. Not like we're going after a Scherzer or Gray anyways, but someone like Story would be nice if the price doesn't get driven up. 

30 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

I mean, are you talking Kimbrel?  Or more like Hudson?

Because I'll take Heuer and Escobar over Hudson and Leury.

Obviously, I'd prefer both but my reply was to someone saying RP was significantly more of a need.

It depends on the pitcher but I would agree with the other poster that the bullpen is the greater need for the playoffs as I'm pretty sure they can make it with the current roster.