Trade Deadline Thread

KrankinSox

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah I mean I’m not saying I would send him out of town immediately if he returned something that improved the club. There is basically no way ReyLo can pitch well enough to avoid an offseason non-tender. But he was in fact looked decent in relief. Touched 98 last night. 

I know I shouldn't jinx it but it does appear that he found something in his last start in charlotte.

Interesting thing I found out is Hendricks is shorter than lopez? amazing.

Sox have a nice incremental height going in their bullpen

Hendricks - 6'0

Lopez, Ruiz - 6'1

Evan Marshall - 6'2

Kopech, Bummer - 6'3

Ryan Burr - 6'4

Heuer - 6'5

Crochet - 6'6

Tepera is 6'1, and I think we have too many of those.

Now, Bailey Ober is 6'9, a rare collectible. And Pineda is 6'7, which keeps the nice straight line going. Might be worth exploring.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

But that is BS too. They have brought plenty in. Worrying you might disrupt chemistry so you don’t improve the team will blow up in your face. 

Ozzie thinks every good team needs one shitty offensive position player because ozzie was that shitty offensive position player.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

We will see. He only has to worry about a couple of pitches. There is a long line of busted starters that became really good relievers including the Sox current closer.

I'd definitely like to keep giving Lopez chances the rest of the season as he has looked pretty good out there, but I certainly wouldn't use him as a reason not to find another arm. There's Heuer, Ruiz, and Burr all of whom right now shouldn't even pitch mopup duty in a playoff game, and Bummer hasn't exactly given confidence.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The price isn’t going to be too high. The price is too high to count on Leury and Mendick. 

This. There are a lot of guys out there. Someone is going to be available for the right price. Sox need to stop worrying about the 2025 depth chart.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I know I shouldn't jinx it but it does appear that he found something in his last start in charlotte.

Hendricks - 6'0

Lopez, Ruiz - 6'1

Evan Marshall - 6'2

Kopech, Bummer - 6'3

Ryan Burr - 6'4

Heuer - 6'5

Crochet - 6'6

Now, Bailey Ober is 6'9, a rare collectible. And Pineda is 6'7, which keeps the nice straight line going. Might be worth exploring.

Pineda may be 6’7” across as well. I was at a game earlier this year and he was pitching against Lynn, a rather large man. He made Lynn look like a little boy with a beard.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Hendricks - 6'0

Lopez, Ruiz - 6'1

Evan Marshall - 6'2

Kopech, Bummer - 6'3

Ryan Burr - 6'4

Heuer - 6'5

Crochet - 6'6

sabermetrics.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

There are better options on the market than Garcia/Mendick that will not cost as much to acquire. The market prices are just high right now. They are 9 games up so no need to be desperate. Wait until the deadline.

Hahn could have beaten the Padres offer if he really wanted to. So we know the Sox are probably not desperate to do this.

16 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Hahn could have beaten the Padres offer if he really wanted to. So we know the Sox are probably not desperate to do this.

Because they are 9 games up. They really have nothing lose to wait until the deadline. Prices will go down when teams realize that they are out of the race and they need to trade players with contracts that expire next year. 

Edited by maloney.adam

30 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

But that is BS too. They have brought plenty in. Worrying you might disrupt chemistry so you don’t improve the team will blow up in your face. 

It wasn’t his chief concern. His main concern was the  return on what you give up being worth the upside. And also, prioritized the reliever as the biggest need that HAD to be filled. I also would not downplay the chemistry concern. This team on paper could have lost a heck of a lot more without it. These guys like playing with each other. Heck some people worried about disrupting what Vaughn had going with Eloy. Its not like, something that should preclude improving. But you weigh it when you are asked to overpay for the possible improvement/short term benefits. 

Edited by Chick Mercedes

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Ozzie thinks every good team needs one shitty offensive position player because ozzie was that shitty offensive position player.

Alfredo Griffin (7,331 385th all time OBP .285) is the only other player to have been given more plate appearances (7,133 421st all time) and have reached less than Ozzie (OBP .287) in the history of baseball.

Worst Offensive Runs Above Average - MLB history

1. Tommy Corcoran (1890-1907) -333.2
  2. Alfredo Griffin (1976-1993) -315.6 (Three time World Series Champion)
  3. Ozzie Guillen (1985-2000) -311.9

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Alfredo Griffin (7,331 385th all time OBP .285) is the only other player to have been given more plate appearances (7,133 421st all time) and have reached less than Ozzie (OBP .287) in the history of baseball.

Worst Offensive Runs Above Average - MLB history

1. Tommy Corcoran (1890-1907) -333.2
  2. Alfredo Griffin (1976-1993) -315.6 (Three time World Series Champion)
  3. Ozzie Guillen (1985-2000) -311.9

35 minutes ago, bmags said:

Billy Hamilton has to be up there on a per-game basis.

2 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Kind of strange. Doubt they traded for a starter but looks like the starting rotation will be shuffled for some reason. 

It doesn't make a ton of sense considering everyone is on normal rest right now. I can see them skipping Lynn or Rodon before the FoD game, but not before the Cleveland series. 

3 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Kind of strange. Doubt they traded for a starter but looks like the starting rotation will be shuffled for some reason. 

Probably getting to the point they need to get guys some breaks and maybe if they get a reliever get Kopech a few starts.

4 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Might mean that a reliever is coming. Who knows but noticed all this chatter from Cubs fans and one site on twitter.

Seems like these guys don't really have real sources, just gathering up what everyone else is saying. 

2 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Billy Hamilton has to be up there on a per-game basis.

Nope, not close, even isolating at bats (since Ozzie played more full games, Billy's games played is inflated by pinch running and late inning defensive substitutions).

Per 162 Games (Offensive Runs Above Average): Ozzie Guillen -25.34 vs. Billy Hamilton -12.26

Per 1,000 At Bats (Offensive Runs Above Average): Ozzie Guillen -43.71 vs. Billy Hamilton -20.95

Billy's Offensive RAA is better than 790 other major league hitters with over 3,000 plate appearances (Billy has 3,232 entering today). 

People throw around the "elite" word around here, but Ozzie is truly elite, the bronze medal winner in over 140 years of baseball, at offensive ineptitude. He is very fortunate to have played when Sabermetrics / Advanced Analytics was just beginning (Branch Rickey, Earl Weaver, Davey Johnson, Sandy Alderson early adopters), because no team would have played him very long today with his offensive profile.

2 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I dunno, the mlb app says that ReyLo was throwing 100 in the 8th last night.

Yeah man...Kimbrel for Lopez straight up. Take it or leave it Jed!

FYI it was actually Kopech, but At Bat thought it was still Lopez pitching. 

Edited by chw42