Trade Deadline Thread

KrankinSox

9 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I don't know if I'd go so far as A+, but he's been much better than expected. The problem is that Leury's best feature is that he can play every position, and if he has to play 2B every day then he can't do that. The other problem is that when Leury is the staring 2B, your backup SS is Mendick, who really shouldn't be playing.

Yeah, I mean I said as much in my post. But Leury has been hitting over .300 with an OBP around .400 since Nicky got hurt. And has played great D at 2B. If you wouldn’t give him an A+, I don’t know what you’d give him. He’s been amazing.

Is it likely to continue thru Sep? Nah. Would I not acquire someone like Escobar due to the performance? Also nah. But Leury has been awesome the last 6 Weeks or so. 

• Like 1

Just now, maloney.adam said:

Your right. Like this one.

That’s true tho. Eloy and Robert are elite players and far better than anyone that could be acquired via trade. Doesn’t mean Hahn won’t shore up some weaknesses tho. 

28 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

So is anyone else getting a feeling that we will not be acquiring a 2nd baseman now?

I think it is genuinely surprising that they have not done so yet. That does leave me wondering if they are more content than I would be in their situation.

I get we fall in love with guys but we have to upgrade at 2B.  You have two guys that are 25 and filling holes in well right now.  Once we have everyone back next year we have one hole, RF.  I would trade either of those guys for Escobar and a RP and one of those guys plus for Frazier.  We have OF depth coming in the minors and Burger is blocked.  These guys aren’t Kopech, Vaughn, or even Kelley.  Go win!

The White Sox are in an enviable position with their division lead, the weakness of their division, and Eloy, Robert, and Grandal likely coming back by the end of the season. They have clear needs at RP and 2B, but there is really no reason for them to make a single trade before the actual deadline day when other teams are taking whatever deals they can get. It might be frustrating to watch as a fan as other teams fill their weaknesses, but the Sox are in a very unique position this year and there's no reason not to wait until the last minute to shore up those holes. 

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think it is genuinely surprising that they have not done so yet. That does leave me wondering if they are more content than I would be in their situation.

Makes you also wonder if all this smoke and posturing is leading to someone that hasn’t been talked about?

Edited by maloney.adam

9 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

This would be great, but what makes you so sure that trades like this can happen?

Just been following the front office for a while and I feel like I have a grasp on what they want to do. Take it with a grain of salt but I'd be willing to bet on it - them acquiring a 2B and a reliever. 

1 hour ago, maloney.adam said:

Reading the update from @KrankinSox about Passan’s article, it sounds like they may not make a move for a 2nd baseman either so that’s why I was asking. 

They will. The price is going to come down, so with a big lead there is not reason to panic now. I bet if they were 1 or 2 games up or 1 or 2 games down right now, they probably would have made a move , or at least you would be hearing things daily. It’s almost like they are waiting for the auction to end instead of paying the buy it now price on eBay. I think there is a near zero chance they go into the playoffs with Leury or Mendick their second baseman unless the guy they acquire gets hurt.

Edited by Dick Allen

Going into October without getting help at 2B AND RF would be negligent.

We have a special starting staff and a real chance of going all the way. Billy and Goodwin have been stepping up. Same for Burger and Sheets. But you don’t shy away from acquiring a real corner OF because of them.

• Like 3

there is a “need” for a second baseman, but this team is so good that need is overrated. No need to trade a real prospect that has big upside. If we don’t do a deal, Eobert and Eloy are good enough upgrades to cover. Tired of seeing good ex Sox minor leaguers becoming all stars elsewhere. We aren’t good at this prospect trade stuff, and need to stop acting so desperate to sell out for 2021. Team has many years of contention. Stay strong and stay stocked long term. Our team is on the field as far as Im concerned. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Going into October without getting help at 2B AND RF would be negligent.

We have a special starting staff and a real chance of going all the way. Billy and Goodwin have been stepping up. Same for Burger and Sheets. But you don’t shy away from acquiring a real corner OF because of them.

I am fine with Sheets/Engel in RF assuming we fill 2B.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

7 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

there is a “need” for a second baseman, but this team is so good that need is overrated. No need to trade a real prospect that has big upside. If we don’t do a deal, Eobert and Eloy are good enough upgrades to cover. Tired of seeing good ex Sox minor leaguers becoming all stars elsewhere. We aren’t good at this prospect trade stuff, and need to stop acting so desperate to sell out for 2021. Team has many years of contention. Stay strong and stay stocked long term. Our team is on the field as far as Im concerned. 

There are 2nd basemen on the market that will not require a ton of prospects to give up though. One of them is Escobar, who we’ve already tried to acquire. 

Edited by maloney.adam

4 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

There are 2nd basemen on the market that will not require a ton of prospects to give up though. One of them is Escobar, who we’ve already tried to acquire. 

And if the report of the pricing being something like Matt Foster is true, that should also answer the question about is the price too high.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

And if the report of the pricing being something like Matt Foster is true, that should also answer the question about is the price too high.

Yeah Escobar and Marte would be perfect fits for the Sox while not requiring that much prospect capital It‘s a no brainer to go after both of them. 

Then sign Conforto in the offseason 😎

Edited by GermanSoxFan
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

If they want to trade Evan Marshall for a rental like Escobar, all for it.  Bear in mind this team doesn’t just get burned in prospect trades, it habitually gives up hall of famers.

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Yeah Escobar and Marte would be perfect fits for the Sox while not requiring that much prospect capital It‘s a no brainer to go after both of them. 

Then sign Conforto in the offseason 😎

I like your thoughts in this thread!

For me, Escobar >>>>> Alex Frazier. I just think Esco is better and will cost significantly less due to year of control.

I also feel Marte is an important get. Adding a legit OF stud, while not critically important, is something a world series contending team like the CWS should do. Just a month or so ago we were looking at our outfield in absolute disgust. It's been nice getting a strong Engel back, having Burger/Sheets perform in the short term, and Goodwin performing, but even with Robert/Eloy coming back it can all fall a part very quickly. If those two aren't up to speed and the rest fall back, having Marte as a rental would be clutch.

5 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/31843778/mlb-trade-deadline-rock-next-10-days-plus-biggest-stars-available-teams-looking-add

To summarize the Sox portion:

- Passan says they don't have enough on the farm to land Gallo, and they plan to keep Kopech and Madrigal.

- Says OF help with return of Jimenez and Robert means they may not pursue a corner OF at all

- Says they will definitely add bullpen help

-Suggests Leury is a suitable 2B replacement for Madrigal and they may not make a move there either, but does say they will be in on Story if the price is right and the Rocks decide to move him. Claims the Escobar trade was not as close to happening as was reported earlier

Not adding some sort of bat would be insane and don’t buy it for a minute.  Leury is not an everyday guy if you have serious World Series aspirations.

• Like 1

I kinda wonder...Burger package for Merrifield with how burger has looked at third. Dozier is trash. Witt is about to come up to SS, Lopez weak bat can be more tenable at 2b and then Pratto comes in at 1b. I don't know of a great 3b coming in for them, and Merrifield has 2 years remaining. His speed and versatility make him an easy fit for next year in the same vein as Frazier but longer track record. Having Robert-TA-Merrifield in a lineup really adds a baserunning dimension, and sox have traded with royals moreso than others it has felt like.

But boy that would be nervewrecking.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I kinda wonder...Burger package for Merrifield with how burger has looked at third. Dozier is trash. Witt is about to come up to SS, Lopez weak bat can be more tenable at 2b and then Pratto comes in at 1b. I don't know of a great 3b coming in for them, and Merrifield has 2 years remaining. His speed and versatility make him an easy fit for next year in the same vein as Frazier but longer track record. Having Robert-TA-Merrifield in a lineup really adds a baserunning dimension, and sox have traded with royals moreso than others it has felt like.

But boy that would be nervewrecking.

Merrifield will cost a lot more as his contract is longer term, I feel.