Trade Deadline Thread

KrankinSox

i dont understand the love for Marte

We have defensive capable right handed center fielders...marte hasnt played over 60 games in 4 years.

career 794 ops

brain goodwin has a 775 career ops

I have no clue what this thing is for with marte... i think its a name people know or something.

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Merrifield will cost a lot more as his contract is longer term, I feel. 

Maybe, but there is no shortage of middle infielders right now. He's a 32-year old top 15 second baseman. 

3 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

We have defensive capable right handed center fielders...marte hasnt played over 60 games in 4 years.

career 794 ops

I have no clue what this thing is for with marte... i think its a name people know or something.

Marte has played less than 60 games ince his entire career and that was when he got a. cup of coffee in 2012, so I don’t know which player you were looking at.

He also is 13% better than Goodwin offensively by OPS+ and gives you elite defense in RF and good stolen base numbers. Starling Marte is a heck of a player.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

career 794 ops

Marte has a career 119 wRC+ against RHP and is a better defensive OF who can CF if needed.  He’d be a big upgrade over Goodwin IMO.

8 hours ago, hogan873 said:

You have to believe Sheets and Burger are being sought after by plenty of teams that the Sox are talking to about trades.  To me, Burger is the one I'd have an easier time parting with.  I like them both and wish they'd be with the Sox for the long haul.  But, of the two, Sheets would seem to have more value to the Sox.  Burger is essentially blocked by Moncada, unless he is converted to 1B (but then there's Vaughn).  Sheets has shown that he can play a decent RF, and his size makes him a good candidate for 1B.

Regardless, if one or both are traded, I hope it's for the right player(s).  These guys could have plenty of value.

Quite a nice situation since most of us considered the 2017 draft as a lost cause.

6 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

career 794 ops

Marte has popped seasons of .840+ OPS and is currently a top 45ish WAR player right now. Has an extremely long track record of success with batting average. Brian Goodwin has a hot flash every year and then goes back to being useless. Marte is a professional RFer. 

2 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Marte has played less than 60 games ince his entire career and that was when he got a. cup of coffee in 2012, so I don’t know which player you were looking at.

He also is 13% better than Goodwin offensively by OPS+ and gives you elite defense in RF and good stolen base numbers. Starling Marte is a heck of a player.

dude only played 61 games in 2020, totally injury prone.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

dude only played 61 games in 2020, totally injury prone.

i missed that he was traded between teams in one season.

He is a solid player but we need left handed bats 

Doesn't make much sense to me... but I really don't think he will be coming here anyway.

2 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

i missed that he was traded between teams in one season.

He is a solid player but we need left handed bats 

Doesn't make much sense to me... but I really don't think he will be coming here anyway.

Left-handed bats are good because they hit right handed pitching, but Marte hits right handed pitching better than left handed pitching, but both above average.

I too don't think we go OF, but his offensive value would be welcome.

12 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

WAR the past 4 seasons (leaving out the 0.5 from last years short season)

1,2, 4.0, 2.7, 1.0, 

he has been hitting this year so looking strong this year at a 2.5

He was electric when he was young.. but has been solid but nothing amazing in recent years.

for a right handed bat not really what we need... if he was left handed that would be another thing.

24 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I remember some guy named Sosa. Marcus Semien is good enough that well just say it was epic horrors. Sosa and Tatis put the White Sox in the all time highlight reel of bad prospect trades by themselves

So 2-3 guys over two generations?  That doesn't seem like habitually to me, especially when you balance out the Quintana and Eaton trades in just the last few years.

30 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So 2-3 guys over two generations?  That doesn't seem like habitually to me, especially when you balance out the Quintana and Eaton trades in just the last few years.

The Quintana Eaton trades are the whole  idea. Not to be on the opposite end of those deals. People are lining up to trade potential all star talent, or above average good young players for a  2 (hopefully 3, hopefully) month rental. That’s just weakness rather than strength. The Sox aren’t yet the Yankees with an endless pipeline. Lets try to get there rather than not.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

6 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

The Quintana Eaton trades are the whole  idea. Not to be on the opposite end of those deals. People are lining up to trade potential all star talent, or above average good players for a  rental. That’s just weakness rather than strength. The Sox aren’t yet the Yankees with an endless pipeline. Lets try to get there rather than not.

Can we talk about the Sox leading MLB with 14 home grown players on their roster?

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I think it is genuinely surprising that they have not done so yet. That does leave me wondering if they are more content than I would be in their situation.

They have an 8.5 game lead and no real competition for the division.  They can afford to wait until the prices drop.  

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Can we talk about the Sox leading MLB with 14 home grown players on their roster?

Exactly. That’s strength, not desperation to make a bad deal for a rental. Thats how not to be the Yankees. Leave the kids alone. Even the ones not here yet.  Be steong in the long run. There is never a good time to make a bad deal. A 2 month rental for just a little better chance is like being afraid we’ll never be back in the playoffs. Weakness. Build for the long run. Im not saying dont make a deal. Just dont make a bad one with the best young talent we have. Trade Marshall and Foster all we want.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

Just now, Chick Mercedes said:

Exactly. That’s strength, not desperation to make a bad deal for a rental. Thats how not to be the Yankees. Leave the kids alone. Even the ones not here yet.  Be steong in the long run. There is never a good time to make a bad deal. A 2 month rental for just a little better chance is like being afraid we’ll never be back in the playoffs. Weakness. Build for the long run.

The Sox aren't going to risk missing this chance to win something.  You call it weakness, every one else calls it due diligence. 

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

They have an 8.5 game lead and no real competition for the division.  They can afford to wait until the prices drop.  

Didn't you tell me yesterday that the 5 innings Kopech has pitched since coming off the IL were absolutely vital and more important than getting him stretched back out?

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox aren't going to risk missing this chance to win something.  You call it weakness, every one else calls it due diligence. 

I call it fear. I know we will keep coming back if we keep our best talent. We are already here. And we are already good. Stay good.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

39 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

WAR the past 4 seasons (leaving out the 0.5 from last years short season)

1,2, 4.0, 2.7, 1.0, 

he has been hitting this year so looking strong this year at a 2.5

He was electric when he was young.. but has been solid but nothing amazing in recent years.

for a right handed bat not really what we need... if he was left handed that would be another thing.

I think you missed again that he was traded in 2020.. 1.5 in 2020(on pace for 4ish in a full season),  2.8 in 2019,  4 in 2018, 1.2 in 2017(in 77 games), 4.8 in 2016

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Didn't you tell me yesterday that the 5 innings Kopech has pitched since coming off the IL were absolutely vital and more important than getting him stretched back out?

No. And I have no idea what Kopech has to do with this. 

I’ve said repeatedly that they need to get Kopech stretched out and he needs to get to 80-100 innings this year. I said nothing of the 5 innings he’s pitched since he got off the IL other than he simply wasn’t ready to be anything more than opener last night so I wasn’t all up in arms about him not making a 2 inning start.