Trade Deadline Thread

KrankinSox

So thinking about the 2B trade market and trying to understand which teams might be in the mix for a 2B.  First thing that stands out is the position is absolutely loaded, especially amongst contenders.  Of the 15 teams that could theoretically be buyers, I’d argue that ten are pretty much set at 2B.  

Of the remaining five teams, I’d argue that all but us all hard “maybes”.  The Dodgers have a young, former blue chip prospect at 2B who is currently hurt.  They also have a variety of other guys who could play the position in a pinch.  I doubt they’d look for a 2B upgrade, but it’s not entirely impossible.  The Giants also could theoretically look for a 2B upgrade if they’re worried about La Stella, but my guess is they pass on a 2B addition given they too have other options.  The Red Sox just lost Arroyo, but it doesn’t sound serious and they also have Kike.  They could add a 2B but it’s probably not likely.  That leaves the Yankees as the final team who could add a 2B (to push LeMahieu to 1B), but it’s more likely they add a SS and move Gleybar over there.

Therefore, it’s pretty apparent that we are the team in most need of a 2B upgrade and are unlikely to face another team so desperate to do something stupid.  If we’re willing to wait it out, I truly believe we should be able to get Eduardo Escobar on the cheap.  Like the rumored reliever price for Escobar is probably legit.

• CWS: Garcia (1.1) - MUST
  • BOS: Arroyo (1.3) / Kiki (1.9) - MAYBE
  • TBR: Lowe (2.3) - SET
  • TOR: Semien (4.1) - SET
  • NYY: LeMahieu (1.5) - MAYBE
  • HOU: Altuve (3.3) - SET
  • OAK: Lowrie (1.5) - SET
  • MIL: Wong (1.8) - SET
  • CIN: India (2.2) - SET
  • NYM: McNeil (0.5) - SET
  • PHI: Segura (1.6) - SET
  • ATL: Albies (2.4) - SET
  • SFG: Solano (0.5) - MAYBE
  • LAD: Lux (0.8) - MAYBE
  • SDP: Croneworth (3.2) - SET
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Lillian said:

His bat is too valuable to have him sitting on the bench. Moreover, as you suggest, whether he would even be willing to accept such a role is questionable. He will be a free agent and his contract would not be nearly as lucrative, if it were based upon his being a reserve infielder. That is, of course, unless he were a primary DH, which he would not be on the Sox.

He may not get both a starting role and the chance to win a championship.  The 2B position is pretty loaded at the moment.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I don’t have a subscription so maybe someone can update us on what is mentioned in this article?

https://theathletic.com/2718334/2021/07/21/mlb-trade-deadline-cheat-sheet-what-to-watch-for-all-30-teams-bowdens-big-board-2-0-of-top-trade-candidates/

Nothing really for the Sox. Says they could use a 2B. Adam Frazier and Javier Baez are possible targets.

58 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He is older so his next contract won't be too huge. He could take over the Leury role, assuming Leury moves on,  which gets him pretty regular playing time. He loved playing for the White Sox previously, and wept when he was traded for Liriano.

Either way, his price isn't going to be a high one to bring him in, even if he walks after the season. It's a no brainer, unless they can bring in someone better than isn't going to ravage the systtem.

Fully agree.  Given that Nick & Yoan aren’t the most reliable guys from a health standpoint, Escobar could get plenty of playing time in a reserve role.  Just depends if he prioritizes winning above maxing out his earnings or getting everyday playing time.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Nothing really for the Sox. Says they could use a 2B. Adam Frazier and Javier Baez are possible targets.

Interesting. Javier Baez as a possible target. I know he has been discussed on here but I wonder how much it would cost to get him and would he be willing to move to 2B? I would prefer Escobar though because he would not cost a ton and he’s raking right now.

Edited by maloney.adam

13 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Interesting. Javier Baez as a possible target. I know he has been discussed on here but I wonder how much it would cost to get him and would he be willing to move to 2B? I would prefer Escobar though because he would not cost a ton and he’s raking right now.

He played second when they had Addison Russell so he is familiar. I think the cost is too high and he may have a chemistry issue in the clubhouse.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

He is older so his next contract won't be too huge. He could take over the Leury role, assuming Leury moves on,  which gets him pretty regular playing time. He loved playing for the White Sox previously, and wept when he was traded for Liriano.

Either way, his price isn't going to be a high one to bring him in, even if he walks after the season. It's a no brainer, unless they can bring in someone better than isn't going to ravage the systtem.

He’s having a good year so I honestly can’t see him accepting a bench role next year. Even a one year deal at least with a rebuilding team that could flip him mid-season.

28 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Baez is a FA in 3 months, and isn't having a great year.  If the return for Escobar was Matt Foster, I think the Baez return should be in that same ballpark.

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

The return won't be similar.  Baez has a 5 year track record.

Baez is projected by the Fangraphs systems for 1-1.4 fWAR the rest of the year. Escobar 0.7 to 1.1. Baez's salary is 66% higher than Escobar's, so he costs about $2 million more. 

While I don't believe "Mat Foster" is a reasonable return for either of them as it would seem weird for LaRussa to not have done that trade already, neither one of them should cost a fortune for 2 months.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Since 2016, Javier Baez has 22.2 WAR, Eduardo Escobar has 8.5 WAR (which is similar to 

Here's the thing.  A huge chunk of Baez numbers is through defense.  Their career oWAR numbers are 15.3 and 14.8 respectively.  If you move Baez to 2nd for two months, you eliminate most of that advantage.  I probably should have been more specific that I was referring to their offensive numbers there.

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Since 2016, Javier Baez has 22.2 WAR, Eduardo Escobar has 8.5 WAR (which is similar to 

Since 2019, Javier Baez has 6.3 fWAR, Eduardo Escobar has 5.2. If you count 2020 as weird and don't penalize them for it, Baez is still at 6.3 and Escobar is at 5.7 over 2019 and 2021.