Trade Deadline Thread

KrankinSox

9 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Simple solution: Move the deadline back a at least 2 weeks. Especially without a waiver deadline.

No, no, no. It's already torture waiting until 7/31 to find out if the Sox are picking someone up. Don't make us wait longer.

Move the draft up. Maybe not to where it used to be but move it to the 3rd Sunday in June. NHL and NBA Finals will be over, can still have prime time with no competition.

• Like 1

I like the quick peak at guys post-draft, and yeah, it would really make life difficult for college programs...

but that last guy is right - November right after the season is great. Gives those drafted players months to prep for living somewhere else and get a training regiment to follow. College players could go play in a wood bat league after the season and show off pro skills. High schoolers can keep doin what they are doing.

It seems like it would work way better, and gives the mlb an offseason of World Series - Draft - Winter Meetings - (Jan) - Pitchers and Catchers - ST

• Like 2

Baseball fans: "I hate the offseason. It's so slow and everything takes months to come together. I want it to be like the NFL or NBA where everything happens together"

Baseball: "Puts the all star game, trade deadline, and draft within 3 weeks of each other"

Baseball fans: "No not like that".

10 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

No, no, no. It's already torture waiting until 7/31 to find out if the Sox are picking someone up. Don't make us wait longer.

Move the draft up. Maybe not to where it used to be but move it to the 3rd Sunday in June. NHL and NBA Finals will be over, can still have prime time with no competition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NBA_draft

"The 2019 NBA draft was held on June 20, 2019"

The 2020 NBA draft was held on November 18, 2020. The draft was originally scheduled to be held at Barclays Center in Brooklyn on June 25..."

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

I like the quick peak at guys post-draft, and yeah, it would really make life difficult for college programs...

but that last guy is right - November right after the season is great. Gives those drafted players months to prep for living somewhere else and get a training regiment to follow. College players could go play in a wood bat league after the season and show off pro skills. High schoolers can keep doin what they are doing.

It seems like it would work way better, and gives the mlb an offseason of World Series - Draft - Winter Meetings - (Jan) - Pitchers and Catchers - ST

Big problem I see here is that high schoolers would be starting college. They wouldn't be playing actual games yet, but they'd be on campus and hypothetically taking classes.

A draft in the off season. Oh my god that's even a worse idea.  What do the college guys do? Pay and pretend to go to school for two months?  Do they sit and and don't get drafted then have to sit out the spring?  What do college teams do when their entire weekend rotation gets drafted 2 months before the season starts?  And when on earth do you draft the high school guys?  Before their senior year of high school baseball or when they are freshman in college?   Just move it back to June like it was. It was done then for a reason.

Rob Manfred's philosophy: If it ain't broke, break it. 

4 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

A draft in the off season. Oh my god that's even a worse idea.  What do the college guys do? Pay and pretend to go to school for two months?  Do they sit and and don't get drafted then have to sit out the spring?  What do college teams do when their entire weekend rotation gets drafted 2 months before the season starts?  And when on earth do you draft the high school guys?  Before their senior year of high school baseball or when they are freshman in college?   Just move it back to June like it was. It was done then for a reason.

Rob Manfred's philosophy: If it ain't broke, break it. 

The college students that play baseball can continue going to college and potentially playing baseball, and they can pay for the education they get in the meantime.

The high school students could easily be drafted before their senior year of high school baseball, because...nobody already cares about their high school baseball except in 2021.

The college coaches can figure it out because I don't know why mlb should care about them. 

there are bad times for everything.

"What? You are drafting players in the middle of the college world series? And what are those players supposed to do, just keep playing after being drafted? Oh my god that's terrible whaarhrr"

I believe the Sox need another reliever, I think many here believe they need two relievers.

But how many starters will we likely use in the playoffs? Could they decide to use only 3 starters and move Keuchel and Cease to the bullpen? If so, will Hahn want to trade prospects for any relief help? 

Cease will be in the bullpen come playoffs, I don’t see trades for two relievers happening. 

Worth repeating, I think we need another strong 7/8 th inning type. But Hahn may not agree.