Trade Deadline Thread

KrankinSox

14 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

A draft in the off season. Oh my god that's even a worse idea.  What do the college guys do? Pay and pretend to go to school for two months?  Do they sit and and don't get drafted then have to sit out the spring?  What do college teams do when their entire weekend rotation gets drafted 2 months before the season starts?  And when on earth do you draft the high school guys?  Before their senior year of high school baseball or when they are freshman in college?   Just move it back to June like it was. It was done then for a reason.

Rob Manfred's philosophy: If it ain't broke, break it. 

100%. June makes the most sense. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I think Dan is greatly undervaluing Ramos and I have no idea why the D-Backs would want Yogurt.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think Dan is greatly undervaluing Ramos and I have no idea why the D-Backs would want Yogurt.

Yeah, hard to see us going from names like Luke Shilling, Matt Foster, and Jace Fry to Ramos and Yolbert.

If Tyler Johnson hadn't imploded, he'd be a good name to throw around.

23 minutes ago, chw42 said:

That might be the "buy now" price today but a week from now, it will be less than that.  I don't think the White Sox blink on this one.

On 7/21/2021 at 11:30 AM, Balta1701 said:

Baez is projected by the Fangraphs systems for 1-1.4 fWAR the rest of the year. Escobar 0.7 to 1.1. Baez's salary is 66% higher than Escobar's, so he costs about $2 million more. 

While I don't believe "Mat Foster" is a reasonable return for either of them as it would seem weird for LaRussa to not have done that trade already, neither one of them should cost a fortune for 2 months.

We now have the new epitome of evil being. He trumps KW as anything people don't like is his fault. He is now GM and working trades while in the dugout. Good multi-tasker. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

I'm not sure I want Kimbrel. I have a bad feeling he would come here and get lit up like he did when he joined the Cubs. 

Kimbrel doesn't make a ton of sense for us because we can't really afford to pay him next year and that's probably where a lot of his remaining value comes from. I was just trying to say that a lot of the Cubs' bullpen arms, like Chafin, aren't really worth going after since their numbers are heavily luck-based and they don't exactly have a history of previous success. 

7 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'm not sure I want Kimbrel. I have a bad feeling he would come here and get lit up like he did when he joined the Cubs. 

I don't think that's fair he was a mid-season addition then. I don't want to pay for a Kimbrel but if he came here I know he'd be nails.

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Kimbrel doesn't make a ton of sense for us because we can't really afford to pay him next year and that's probably where a lot of his remaining value comes from. I was just trying to say that a lot of the Cubs' bullpen arms, like Chafin, aren't really worth going after since their numbers are heavily luck-based and they don't exactly have a history of previous success. 

Kimbrel's 2022 option is based on a "games finished" incentive. Since he won't be closing games for us, the option won't vest.

17 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The whole coming in mid-season thing really seemed to be the problem with him.  Once he got back to normal, so did his performance.

10 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Kimbrel's 2022 option is based on a "games finished" incentive. Since he won't be closing games for us, the option won't vest.

To other teams who need a closer (like the A's and Jays), his vesting option might be something they want. Getting a closer like him for $16 million for only 1 season has some value, even if it's market price. So while we may not value the option, other teams might and it would increase his trade value. 

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

To other teams who need a closer (like the A's and Jays), his vesting option might be something they want. Getting a closer like him for $16 million for only 1 season has some value, even if it's market price. So while we may not value the option, other teams might and it would increase his trade value. 

Yeah, it's kind of a weird scenario where some teams see him as a rental and prefer that, while some teams see him as a 2 year guy and prefer that with the $16 mil. Not sure how much surplus value he has to the $16M though.

I'm sure he will fetch a top 100 prospect and a couple of other guys. Certainly won't get a top 5 prospect in baseball like Chapman did for the Yankees 5 years ago.

if the Sox can fill 2B with Escobar while hanging on to their top prospects, I'd be totally down to go after Kimbrel.  That's a ballsy, championship-winning type of move.