Trade Deadline Thread

KrankinSox

11 minutes ago, ptatc said:

They shouldn't waste their resources on acquiring a 2B. It needs to go to a bullpen piece.

They need to acquire another 2nd baseman. They can’t go into the postseason with Mendick/Garcia. All these other contenders are interested or active in talks to improve their club so we need to add to compete with them. It doesn’t have to be an expensive piece but someone like Escobar will do.

Edited by maloney.adam

3 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

They need to acquire another 2nd baseman. They can’t go into the postseason with Mendick/Garcia. All these other contenders are active in talks so we need to add to compete. It doesn’t have to be an expensive piece but someone like Escobar will do.

Sure they can. The have all-star caliber hitters in 7/9 positions. That lineup will be as good as any.

Their bullpen is the weakness. That is where they need to use their limited resources. 

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

The bullpen is definitely the most important need but they can do fill both holes.

Just depends on the cost. They shouldn't trade much for a rental they don't need next year at 2B.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Sure they can. The have all-star caliber hitters in 7/9 positions. That lineup will be as good as any.

Their bullpen is the weakness. That is where they need to use their limited resources. 

Agree with this but I think they can fill both. The lineup is stacked even with platoons at 2B and RF.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Just depends on the cost. They shouldn't trade much for a rental they don't need next year at 2B.

By definition, next year is irrelevant when discussing a 2B rental.  Trading major assets for a 2B controlled beyond 2021 would be idiotic.  But that isn't what we're talking about. 

• Like 1

I'm a little concerned about bullpen costs. 

If you've been looking around baseball, the white sox are not alone in needing help in bullpen. Thank God we signed Hendriks.

The astros have been melting down there as well. Yankees too. The Red sox may very well be where they are at because they've been extremely good at bullpen production with barnes and ottavino.

When you look at a lot of the bad teams, so few even have decent bullpen pieces. Our best bullpen help is likely just hoping that bummer+heuer get on track. Otherwise I just hope a Hudson can find his way here.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I'm a little concerned about bullpen costs. 

If you've been looking around baseball, the white sox are not alone in needing help in bullpen. Thank God we signed Hendriks.

The astros have been melting down there as well. Yankees too. The Red sox may very well be where they are at because they've been extremely good at bullpen production with barnes and ottavino.

When you look at a lot of the bad teams, so few even have decent bullpen pieces. Our best bullpen help is likely just hoping that bummer+heuer get on track. Otherwise I just hope a Hudson can find his way here.

I'm not loving the cost to acquire BP help either. Wait it out until the deadline when clubs have more incentive to move their rental assets. 

4 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Is there a site that shows how many options a player has left? Someone on my Facebook feed is claiming that Micker has 3 left which doesn’t sound right lol

I found this article: https://southsideshowdown.com/2021/07/21/chicago-white-sox-yermin-mercedes-might-considering-retirement/

which included this line:

They added Adolfo to the 40-man roster in the 2017 year to avoid losing him in the Rule 5 draft.

That would make him out of options after this season.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

The Sox will trade for a 2B.  I'd put it at:

75% - Escobar

25% - Baez

Story isn't going to happen.  He hasn't been good and he's not a 2B.  Turner isn't going to happen.  The Sox don't have the prospects to get him and aren't going to trade MLB pieces.

Schoop should be higher than Baez.  Cubs aren’t likely to trade him.

7 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Hosmer salary dump incoming?

So I looked up Hosmer to see if maybe the Sox could justify taking Hosmer if the prospect who came with him was enough to help get Escobar and/or a reliever.

The answer is no.

He's actually been worse vs RHP than vs LHP this year, and his road OPS is only 20 points higher than home OPS. I just couldn't find a way to get him enough playing time to take him even if the Padres paid half his remaining salary.