Trade Deadline Thread

KrankinSox

29 minutes ago, ron883 said:

They whiff much more than they hit

Ever notice how whenever NotSteve misses he has to put out a locked post about negative comments and this not impacting his actual job? Makes me laugh everytime

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Baron said:

Ever notice how whenever NotSteve misses he has to put out a locked post about negative comments and this not impacting his actual job? Makes me laugh everytime

The guy is absolutely pathetic, lol

14 minutes ago, Baron said:

13 minutes ago, ron883 said:

The guy is absolutely pathetic, lol

He’s most likely a poster from this board. He probably reads and analyzes this board quite a bit.

Edited by maloney.adam

58 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Him and WSD whiff as much as they hit...which isn't necessarily a bad thing

I can appreciate what Dave does more because he doesn't spend nearly as much time mixing his opinion with his leaks, and doesn't present his opinions and guesses as leaks to fill time and space.

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

He’s most likely a poster from this board. He probably reads and analyzes this board quite a bit.

I hope so. Got tired of the back tracking the last few times from him. Rather he post twice a year if the info is right. 

1 hour ago, Baron said:

I hope so. Got tired of the back tracking the last few times from him. Rather he post twice a year if the info is right. 

We will probably never find out who it is. I have a couple suspicions on who it may be but I’m not quite sure.

Edited by maloney.adam

5 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I don't think Jerry will want to eat Bryant's remaining salary

Probably not, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good move.

For the record, he is looking at about $3.5 million per month, so at this point, you are probably looking at around $11-12 million with the amount of games left in the schedule

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Probably not, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good move.

For the record, he is looking at about $3.5 million per month, so at this point, you are probably looking at around $11-12 million with the amount of games left in the schedule

I think it might be even less. His salary is 19.5M. Cubs have played exactly half of their games, so he should have half the remaining dollars left, or 9.75M. Not sure if it works one for one on a per game basis like that, though.

Edited by KrankinSox

4 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

I think it might be even less. His salary is 19.5M. Cubs have played exactly half of their games, so he should have the remaining dollars left, or 9.75M. Not sure if it works one for one on a per game basis like that, though.

Crap, I didn't realize we were at the half way mark.  I though we were still in the mid 70's.

3 hours ago, hogan873 said:

Not Steve Cishek, he who never met an exclamation point he didn't love, said that the Sox will certainly be making a move.  He proclaimed the worst case scenario is a position player and bullpen help while the best case scenario is "beyond our wildest dreams".  I can't for the life of me think of a move that would fit that description.  To me, the biggest, least expected move would be Haniger.

Any thoughts on a move so big Sox fans would shit their pants?

I've already talked about a couple moves like that  but I think he just wants to cover his bases since Jerry has supposedly given a green light to making the moves necessary and he's aware of how aggressive the Sox have been and the something big rumor out there that Blackout Friday started . They do need to replace Lynn and Rodon for next year. They could work on that now with a young controllable pitcher. There could be a blockbuster 3 way trade.  They could trade any core piece that anyone would be shocked we traded. Trading Abreu would shock everyone.

Beyond our wildest dreams would mean something that would also be crazy like trading our injury prone guys like Eloy, Madrigal, and Robert and getting a haul back .Basically what we seem to want around here is not remove anyone from the team except Goodwin, Eaton,Lamb, Mercedes, Marshall ,Foster, Luis Gonzales, Rutherford, , Ruiz and guys whose names we have to look up for everyone we need to fill 2nd base, RF ,bullpen and another starting pitcher in case one falls out from no sticky stuff , IP limits or injury.

Everyone is afraid of trading away the next Tatis or Semien. One guy here is afraid of trading Adolfo. No matter what happens you know somebody isn't going to like it very much.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I've already talked about a couple moves like that  but I think he just wants to cover his bases since Jerry has supposedly given a green light to making the moves necessary and he's aware of how aggressive the Sox have been and the something big rumor out there that Blackout Friday started . They do need to replace Lynn and Rodon for next year. They could work on that now with a young controllable pitcher. There could be a blockbuster 3 way trade.  They could trade any core piece that anyone would be shocked we traded. Trading Abreu would shock everyone.

Beyond our wildest dreams would mean something that would also be crazy like trading our injury prone guys like Eloy, Madrigal, and Robert and getting a haul back .Basically what we seem to want around here is not remove anyone from the team except Goodwin, Eaton,Lamb, Mercedes, Marshall ,Foster, Luis Gonzales, Rutherford, , Ruiz and guys whose names we have to look up for everyone we need to fill 2nd base, RF ,bullpen and another starting pitcher in case one falls out from no sticky stuff , IP limits or injury.

Everyone is afraid of trading away the next Tatis or Semien. One guy here is afraid of trading Adolfo. No matter what happens you know somebody isn't going to like it very much.

Micker is a great trade candidate as well, if someone else is willing to play him early.  He is out of options, so he needs to be on an MLB roster come April 1 next year.  Probably doesn't help his trade value though.

The Sox have a pretty undesirable farm system and they lack a lot of any real exciting prospects, outside of Jared Kelley. 

Hopefully, they rethink their approach to amateurs, in the draft and in Latin America to be more like the Padres, who are loaded with a lot of high upside, up the middle types. 

20 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

The Sox have a pretty undesirable farm system and they lack a lot of any real exciting prospects, outside of Jared Kelley. 

Hopefully, they rethink their approach to amateurs, in the draft and in Latin America to be more like the Padres, who are loaded with a lot of high upside, up the middle types. 

Not having a minor league season really hurt our system, or at least the reputation of it. All our top prospects basically graduated last year or contributed at the ML level in some way. The system was top heavy to begin with and then the guys, like Burger, who may have had a shot to up their value didn't get a chance to play. 

So I'll make my stance pretty clear - If we are trading for a 2B or a bat - I'd prefer going for a one and done guy who you can get on the cheap (every deadline there is a random guy dealt who you go, wow that was cheap).  Burger for a guy, even with 1 year of extra control - unless it is a bonafide stud, just doesn't excite me. 

When the club gets to October - the reality is - the big question will be - will the rotation be healthy and pitching well.  Right now - my concern is how the rotation will handle the 2nd half of the year, given the increased workload across the board (not just a Sox issue - but I'd say with the Sox it is magnified with a guy like rodon and we have seperate innings limits with Kopech/Crochet) - but in general, given the COVID shortened year, guys are going to be putting in a lot of extra work, etc.  So if I'm using chips - I'm looking at fact that the rotation is set to lose 2 key pieces and yes, you can plug Kopech into one of those spots - but what rotational DEPTH is huge and critical, so if I'm dealing real prospects, it is for a cost controlled pitcher, not for a 2B or random outfielder who will help us for a handful of weeks, but eventually get replaced when other guys come back.  If I am the Yankees or Dodgers - maybe I do that because I can - but White Sox can't do it - it just isn't a smart play in the long run for managing this franchise and quite frankly, I don't suspect it makes a difference come post-season.

The only way my stance changes - is if the Sox are in a huge slump and thus post-season is in doubt, but until than...nope.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Crap, I didn't realize we were at the half way mark.  I though we were still in the mid 70's.

The interesting thing with Bryant - I would legitimately make a run at signing him in the off-season. He's just a really good player, very versatile, and whomever gets him, presuming the contract is in the 5ish year variety - shouldn't be too worried about a massive drop off in the contract (that said - I'm sure I'm wrong and years will go crazy).  He also is a perfect fit in the lineup - although I do recognize playing him in the OF is not maximizing the ultimate value of Bryant, given how good of a 3B he is.  

And if you are the White Sox - I'm spending my money on bats (if it is lt coin) and staying st on pitching/constantly looking at finding young pitching (cost-controlled and less likely to be a giant albatross on the books when they get hurt).  From a depth rotational perspective - keep things more short-term.