Trade Deadline Thread

KrankinSox

btw... if you look at our bullpen ERA and K's... it's not like there are a lot of upgrades out there. If you're thinking Hudson and Hand are an upgrade... you may be mistaken. They are pitching in the NL and here are their standard stats:

Hudson - 25 IP, 32K, 3.85 ERA

Hand - 26 IP, 31K, 3.52 ERA

Bummer - 24 IP, 29 K, 3.29 ERA

Heuer - 24 IP, 23 K, 3.96 ERA

Crochet - 23 IP, 26 K, 3.42 ERA

I would take Hudson or Hand, but they aren't the answer to having a lock down 7th or 8th inning guy. 

Yimi Garcia (mia) - 24 IP, 25 K, 3.79 ERA

Rodriguez (pit) - 25 IP, 26 K, 3.45 ERA

Iglesias (laa) - 25 IP, 35 K, 3.25 ERA

Kennedy (tex) - 25 IP, 27 K, 4.01 ERA

Kimbrel is the only RP that is actually having a season that is a true upgrade to what we have in the bullpen unfortunately. Come playoffs, maybe adding Cease to the bullpen helps us as much as adding a Hudson or Hand? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

btw... if you look at our bullpen ERA and K's... it's not like there are a lot of upgrades out there. If you're thinking Hudson and Hand are an upgrade... you may be mistaken. They are pitching in the NL and here are their standard stats:

I would take Hudson or Hand, but they aren't the answer to having a lock down 7th or 8th inning guy. 

Kimbrel is the only RP that is actually having a season that is a true upgrade to what we have in the bullpen unfortunately. Come playoffs, maybe adding Cease to the bullpen helps us as much as adding a Hudson or Hand? 

I’m not going to check the rest but Codi Heuer’s ERA this season is 5.12.

2 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

And it should be noted that Heuer, Bummer, and Crochet have substantially higher ERAs than FIP/xFIP, particularly the first two.

3 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

I mean if we are keeping it ERA simple

Codi Heuer 5.12 ERA

Matt Foster 6.04 ERA

Ryan Burr 3.38 ERA + 5.03 FIP

Evan Marshall 5.60 ERA

There are a lot of guys on that list who would be significant improvements over what we have been running out there.

15 minutes ago, chw42 said:

It feels like we are probably playing poker with these teams really thinking they will have to move these guys for the highest bid, and that is us.  Hopefully this doesn't end up like Machado where someone comes in off of the sidelines and blows us away.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

You realize Crochet is just turned 22 about a month ago and had zero time in the minors to develop before being tossed into a MLB bullpen, right? 

The stuff is there, and with further development he could become really valuable. 

Don't dispute what you say about crochet but Kimbrel makes your bullpen unhittable in 8th and 9th for next 2 years and helps you to be a lot closer to winning championships this year and next.........I would be willing to trade crochet for chances at a title this and next year 

22 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It feels like we are probably playing poker with these teams really thinking they will have to move these guys for the highest bid, and that is us.  Hopefully this doesn't end up like Machado where someone comes in off of the sidelines and blows us away.

That's the downside to waiting. And could for sure cost us a 2B. 

34 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Trading 2 of our best relievers both cheap and team controlled for 5 more seasons each for 2 vet relievers on short term deals is so dumb. Kimbrel is good, but he makes $16M a year. We cant pay 2 relievers $30M next season unless JR spikes payroll well over $150M. Kimbrel is paid what he’s worth, giving up a legit arm in Crochet not to mention Heuer who has been disappointing this year but will be a cog of BP for years to come is just a terrible move. Not to mention the ++ you mentioned. No love lost on Lopez obviously but your proposed trade is trash for the Sox. I want nothing to do with Kimbrel if he costs anything near that. Sox just can’t afford it and that $16M could be much better allocated this offseason. You can’t even guarantee that Kimbrel/Tepera will be better than Crochet/Heuer the last 2 months of the season and we’re giving up 2 big arms for 1 shot. Just a shortsighted move all around. 

I can definitely guarantee you that Kimbrel and Tapera would be better then Crochet/heuer for rest of the year.........It's less about tapera and more about Kimbrel.....

Imagine this if you will........winning 4-3 in the 7th inning (3 innings left to close out a chance to win the world series of game 7).......you want Kimbrel and Hendriks for the last 3 innings or you want a combination of Crochet/Heuer/Hendriks?   I know what wins you the world series in the scenario.   

34 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Codi Heuer 5.12 ERA

Matt Foster 6.04 ERA

Evan Marshall 5.60 ERA

There are a lot of guys on that list who would be significant improvements over what we have been running out there.

Those guys wont' factor into the playoffs unless you're losing a game by 7 runs. You will have a bullpen of about 4 arms total for the playoffs and a SP in the bullpen. 

35 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Codi Heuer 5.12 ERA

Matt Foster 6.04 ERA

Evan Marshall 5.60 ERA

I was just using rotochamp lineup and bullpens, assumed they had the correct data on there... I didn't check other sources. But the point is still there. The only dominant arm is Kimbrel. 

1 minute ago, TheCommish said:

Those guys wont' factor into the playoffs unless you're losing a game by 7 runs. You will have a bullpen of about 4 arms total for the playoffs and a SP in the bullpen. 

That's not really true, as many teams pull starters very quickly in the playoffs. 

14 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

I can definitely guarantee you that Kimbrel and Tapera would be better then Crochet/heuer for rest of the year.........It's less about tapera and more about Kimbrel.....

Imagine this if you will........winning 4-3 in the 7th inning (3 innings left to close out a chance to win the world series of game 7).......you want Kimbrel and Hendriks for the last 3 innings or you want a combination of Crochet/Heuer/Hendriks?   I know what wins you the world series in the scenario.   

We need to replace the last guy or two of our bullpen with solid veteran relievers.  Not replace our 3rd and 4th best relievers.  Tepera would fit the bill. 

This is a trade we'd be regretting immensely in short order.  The Sox don't need to push all their chips in to win the 2021 world series.  They're going to be good for a very long time if they're not dopes. I too want to strengthen the bullpen!  But I am not trading 10 years of Crochet and Heuer for 1.33 seasons of Craig Kimbrel at like $25M. 

Edited by ChiSox59

17 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I wouldn't trade Sheets for Escobar.

There's GOT to be somethign else along the lines that we can trade for Escobar. Guy is a 2 month rental.

Other than that, good deals and results on the site.

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

There's GOT to be somethign else along the lines that we can trade for Escobar. Guy is a 2 month rental.

That was the only one that made some sense.

3 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

There's no way he costs that much. I refuse to believe it. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Adolfo and an arm or two that isn't on MLB roster or Kelley.

for WHO?!  My god. Kelley is a legit prospect, at the time of the draft last year, he was rated higher than Crochet.  You do NOT trade Kelley for Escobar despite potentially a dip in his value.

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

for WHO?!  My god. Kelley is a legit prospect, at the time of the draft last year, he was rated higher than Crochet.  You do NOT trade Kelley for Escobar despite potentially a dip in his value.

I think he was excluding Kelly and just didn't word it well.

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I literally didn't say I would trade him lol I said anyone not on the MLB roster or Kelley. Poor wording on my part. Any pitcher except anyone on the MLB roster and Kelley.

Edited by manbearpuig