Trade Deadline Thread

KrankinSox

15 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Escobar just continues to make too much sense taking into account the other areas in need of an upgrade. I still think we see the Sox get a catcher (Tucker Barnhart) and 1-2 arms. I don't see a deep enough farm to do all that and land a big ticket guy.

Salary relief is a tradeable asset.

7 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Thats true, I just have a hard time believing the Sox will suddenly turn to that strategy when historically they haven’t used it as a way to acquire players.

And I swear to god, if someone else refers to trading for Escobar and his salary of like $3.5 mill as "eating salary" I will punch a dog.

5 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Thats true, I just have a hard time believing the Sox will suddenly turn to that strategy when historically they haven’t used it as a way to acquire players.

They haven't had much reason until now.

On 7/7/2021 at 6:49 PM, Lillian said:

Those of us who have been clamouring for a LH power bat, should now be insisting upon it. There is no way that this team can continue to score runs without some LH thunder. With Grandal out, there is now only one potential LH run producer and he is not hitting for power, this year. Moncada should not be counted upon to be a power threat in the lineup. He may come around to be what we have hoped, but the Sox can't depend upon it. It's hard to believe that Hahn is not franticly trying to acquire someone to deliver some middle of the order run production, from the left side. Gallo, Escobar, or any other such run producer has to now be a major priority.

I love Sheets and Burger but the former is not experienced enough to carry such a weighty responsibility and the latter is yet another RH hitter. I still don't think that they need to be thinking about anything more than a rental, but they have got to do something, and soon. At this point, the only guy in the organization that I would give any chance of being that LH power hitter, is Lamb, and that is too much of a long shot. He should be back soon, but is not a guy that most would feel confident in his ability to bat in the middle of the order.  

I'd love some of the RH hitters, such as Bryant, but the Sox would still need a LH bat. The month following the All Star break could be brutal, while the Sox await the return of Eloy and Robert. There is little doubt in my mind that acquiring such a hitter is a top priority for the front office. It will be interesting to see what Hahn can do. 

It's so weird that you get challenged for thinking this way. I mean it's so obvious. The Sox weren't hitting HR's before Grandal got hurt. There is zero LH power in the lineup now. Then you have a guy telling you the Sox are trying to replace Madrigals production . If I had said that people would be down my throat but because it's a surly admin no one challenges him.

The Sox were 27th in HR's in June . There is not a single contender in the bottom 9 teams for HR's in June and the Sox just lost their #1 HR guy from June.

The Sox are 25th in HR's and that's only going to go down for the next until when ? Eloy starts hitting some ?

The last team I could find that wasn't in the top 13 teams in HR's who won the World Series was KC Royals in 2015 and they easily had the best defense in baseball and a rock solid BP and Kauffman Stadium is a hard place to hit HR's with deep alleys and deep CF.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's so weird that you get challenged for thinking this way. I mean it's so obvious. The Sox weren't hitting HR's before Grandal got hurt. There is zero LH power in the lineup now. Then you have a guy telling you the Sox are trying to replace Madrigals production . If I had said that people would be down my throat but because it's a surly admin no one challenges him.

The Sox were 27th in HR's in June . There is not a single contender in the bottom 9 teams for HR's in June and the Sox just lost their #1 HR guy from June.

The Sox are 25th in HR's and that's only going to go down for the next until when ? Eloy starts hitting some ?

The last team I could find that wasn't in the top 13 teams in HR's who won the World Series was KC Royals in 2015 and they easily had the best defense in baseball and a rock solid BP and Kauffman Stadium is a hard place to hit HR's with deep alleys and deep CF.

Yes, it would seem obvious. However, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and it's just one of those things where we have to simply agree to disagree. I think that the ultimate moves that the front office make may somewhat vindicate us, but until that happens, all we can do is voice our opinion. If they don't at least make a serious effort to find a power bat, especially from the left side, then we may have to acknowledge that we are "wrong". We'll see.

Edited by Lillian

I know not a huge needle mover, but a guy I think would be a very good fit for the Sox is Brad Miller. LH bat with some pop and can play almost any position. If/when the Phillies sell he shouldn’t be a particularly expensive to trade for either  

(Not sure if Miller has been mentioned yet or not)

19 hours ago, Lillian said:

Yes, it would seem obvious. However, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and it's just one of those things where we have to simply agree to disagree. I think that the ultimate moves that the front office make may somewhat vindicate us, but until that happens, all we can do is voice our opinion. If they don't a least make a serious effort to find a power bat, especially from the left side, then we may have to acknowledge that we are "wrong". We'll see.

I know everyone is chomping at the bit  and happy to speculate on position players even devoting multiple pages to the absurdity  of Cease vs. Pederson.

However a very under the radar aspect of the Trade deadline is relief pitching.

I think there will probably be 10 to 15 relief pitchers traded at the deadline since they should be the cheapest yet extremely important aspect of the 2nd half and the playoffs.

The Sox certainly need them . I know it's been interesting now that we saw Foster throwing a cutter and every outing by Heuer is scrutinized and no really trusts Ruiz, Fry Marshall or even Aaron Burr to be impactful . That's a lot of current arms to be uncertain about.

Do the Sox contemplate moving some of those young arms for more established arms or at least arms having better 1st halves of the season ?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I know everyone is chomping at the bit  and happy to speculate on position players even devoting multiple pages to the absurdity  of Cease vs. Pederson.

I think there will probably be 10 to 15 relief pitchers traded at the deadline since they should be the cheapest yet extremely important aspect of the 2nd half and the playoffs.

The Sox certainly need them . I know it's been interesting now that we saw Foster throwing a cutter and every outing by Heuer is scrutinized and no really trusts Ruiz, Fry Marshall or even Aaron Burr to be impactful . That's a lot of current arms to be uncertain about.

Do the Sox contemplate moving some of those young arms for more established arms or at least arms having better 1st halves of the season ?

It's not often a VP shoots someone, that is impactful.

50 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I totally agree. The Sox need to add at least two top bullpen arms, preferably LH and RH. I could see moving one or more our current bullpen group of the name’s you mentioned-especially if it was  for a proven arm that was around for more than just this year. 

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if a current bullpen guy could be included in a deal. That deepens our pool of talent to trade. Of course not just for a rental. If the Sox see an arm on the market this year they need-say Rich Rod-they have to make sure they don’t get outbid by another team. 

On 7/11/2021 at 8:03 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

What does is take to get Gallo?  Is Crochet & Burger even get you in the door?

It should easily unless Texas isn't selling Gallo. It might be the winning package if you ask me. Do you honestly think a team offers 3 solid prospects for 1.4 years of Gallo

Look at you and you thought I wanted to go all in. My original suggestion was Burger+ but even I didn't contemplate Crochet as the +. Sox had better resign Lynn or Rodon if they do that plus they have to replace Crochet in the pen . I wanted 2 relievers but that would make 3. Or get them to throw in ancient Ian Kennedy.

Maybe Burger, Stievers and Burdi/Lopez/someone from DSL or ACL ?

If Padres get involved doubt we could match an offer from them. But Padres could be looking to dump some salary like Myers or Hosmer but hard to imagine Texas would want any of them. But if it's strictly pitching prospects Texas wants SD can probably offer more of that commodity.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

10 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It should easily unless Texas isn't selling Gallo. It might be the winning package if you ask me. Do you honestly think a team offers 3 solid prospects for 1.4 years of Gallo

Look at you and you thought I wanted to go all in. My original suggestion was Burger+ but even I didn't contemplate Crochet as the +. Sox had better resign Lynn or Rodon if they do that plus they have to replace Crochet in the pen . I wanted 2 relievers but that would make 3. Or get them to throw in ancient Ian Kennedy.

Maybe Burger, Stievers and Burdi/Lopez/someone from DSL or ACL ?

If Padres get involved doubt we could match an offer from them. But Padres could be looking to dump some salary like Myers or Hosmer but hard to imagine Texas would want any of them. But if it's strictly pitching prospects Texas wants SD can probably offer more of that commodity.

Burger isn’t going to be a headliner for Gallo IMO.  Lynn commanded a consensus top 100 prospect and he only had a year of control and has zero chance of getting you a comp pick if he leaves via free agency.  Gallo is way younger, doesn’t have the same injury risk a mid 30’s pitcher has, and also would eligible for a QO under the current CBA rules.  I think Gallo requires at minimum Crochet plus a second really nice piece.  I think Burger’s value is quickly rising, but his age and lack of track record will cause his value to be discounted to some extent.

8 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Including Crochet in a package for Gallo is dealing from a position of weakness (bullpen) to add to a position of strength (outfield).

It doesn't make sense unless you're also dealing Vaughn or Engel for significant bullpen help.

I don’t see how our OF could be considered a position of strength if Eloy is going to be DHing the majority of the time.

Edited by Chicago White Sox