Trade Deadline Thread

KrankinSox

11 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Avila is a name that could be interesting for the Sox...

Rather have the RH Gomes. The guy is a professional catcher and still a decent hitter and has a 115 OPS+. He calls a good game and frames decently. Of the 3 Sox coming back from injury Grandal is coming back last and the knee is crucial to catching. The last thing I want to see is Collins catching our pitchers in the playoffs. He may be the worst framer in baseball and isn't the best at blocking pitches .

While the Sox can make due in RF with good defense and acceptable hitting they cannot under any circumstances allow Collins to get significant playing time in the playoffs should Grandal need a lot of rest  should his knee bother him after his return.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

If you've giving a package of Sheets, Kelley and Lambert/Heuer, go for a bigger splash.  What do we even need Gibson for right now?  

Insurance. Can never have enough SP. Especially if Rodon is experiencing some fatigue.

Just now, bmags said:

I feel like the angels aren't going to sell and are really going to do the "well when we get trout back!"

With the Yankees loading up, a lot of teams in for the 2nd wild card should start thinking about selling. 

4 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Insurance. Can never have enough SP. Especially if Rodon is experiencing some fatigue.

Yah.  They got a pretty damn good SP insurance policy in Kopech.  I don't think its too far of a reach to think, if given the opportunity (won't unless there is an injury, it appears), he could be our best SP the last 6 weeks of the season.  I am not using our trade chips on a SP. Depth is nice, but Gibson isn't really needed.  

42 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Twins are gonna get a haul for him aren't they? They got half the league lining up. 

Yes.  They're only moving him IF they get a haul.  And it appears they'll have their choice of a few. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah.  They got a pretty damn good SP insurance policy in Kopech.  I don't think its too far of a reach to think, if given the opportunity (won't unless there is an injury, it appears), he could be our best SP the last 6 weeks of the season.  I am not using our trade chips on a SP. Depth is nice, but Gibson isn't really needed.  

I absolutely agree that he could be our best SP the last 6 weeks, but last I read they view him as too valuable coming out of the pen. I don't think there's enough time to stretch him out at this point.

Just now, Snopek said:

I absolutely agree that he could be our best SP the last 6 weeks, but last I read they view him as too valuable coming out of the pen. I don't think there's enough time to stretch him out at this point.

Well, as of now, he's probably our best reliever.  So its a double edged sword.  But they're going to get him some extended work down the stretch, even if its just some longer relief outings.  No way the FO lets him throw 55 innings, IMO.  Dude has to be in the 22 rotation.  I don't think they're going to fully stretch him out, but I do still believe the Sox will give him at least 3-5 spot starts down the stretch.  Picking up another good reliever today goes a long way into making that a reality. 

Just now, chw42 said:

It's a good thing he sucks cause he's probably going to Charlotte...I hope. 

He's a good example of why you sell high on relievers tho, especially on a shitty team.  After 2018, Pirates probably could have gotten a nice return on him (putting aside well documented character issues).  Fast forward a couple years, and he's DFA fodder. 

On Gibson and Kennedy: Gibson is signed through 2022 and would be a replacement for Rodon. Kennedy would be an ideal late inning RH RP. Having Gibson would allow us to go to a 6 man rotation during the stretch run and decide who will be the best three starters going in to the playoffs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bear_brian said:

On Gibson and Kennedy: Gibson is signed through 2022 and would be a replacement for Rodon. Kennedy would be an ideal late inning RH RP. Having Gibson would allow us to go to a 6 man rotation during the stretch run and decide who will be the best three starters going in to the playoffs.

I wonder if Gibson's trade value has moved some after he got destroyed by Detroit in back to back starts. His FIP is now closer to 4 than it is to his ERA.