All-time Soxtalk Whipping Boy

ron883

1 hour ago, MexSoxFan#1 said:

I mentioned Javy Vazquez in the GT, someone mentioned Jerry Owens, I agree with that one...Nick Swisher wasn't here long but got a ton of flak.

But is there such a thing as "too much flak for Nick Swisher?"

• Fire 1

There have been so many and most mentioned in here. Has anyone mentioned Erstad? He stunk too. I've piled on several players in my time but also have stood up for some of those who were buried on here.

Time flies and I forget some of my stronger stances. I know some of my most forceful posts were in defending guys like Garland and Wise.

Edited by greg775

2 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

my handful of picks

Javy Vazquez, Jon Garland, Gavin Floyd, Jerry Owens, Gordon Beckham

Vazquez is my #1

Floyd took a lot of whippings. The "Deer in the headlights" look I must've heard 1000 times.

Jose Quintana actually got whipped often too for his "smoke and mirrors" act and for nibbling ,but he became good enough to net the Sox Eloy and Cease !

• Like 1

Kind of seems like Yasmani Grandal is the whipping boy quite often. I can’t think of too many guys that have been actually been Sox ‘whipping boys’ in a true sense. Adam Dunn was mentioned, he fits somewhat.  Adam LaRoach lol. May as well throw James Shields in there. Mine was always Kenny Williams the GM.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

Jeff Keppinger and rightfully so. That dude had a higher batting average than OBP like halfway through his one year here.

Joe "Pop up" Crede

Joe Borchard probably because it was just sad it never worked out.

Timo Perez besides his game winning base hit vs. the Cubs.

Royce Clayton was probably too early or in the infancy stages for Soxtalk but he would've been.

Danny Wright!!!! 

Adam Dunn most definitely!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

There have been so many and most mentioned in here. Has anyone mentioned Erstad? He stunk too. I've piled on several players in my time but also have stood up for some of those who were buried on here.

Time flies and I forget some of my stronger stances. I know some of my most forceful posts were in defending guys like Garland and Wise.

Come on Greg, you know Rios was your all time whipping boy. He was actually good, but you railed on him hard. 

Edited by ron883

22 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Come on Greg, you know Rios was your all time whipping boy. He was actually good, but you railed on him hard. 

Oh i totally despised Rios. No doubt. I despised Dunn too I believe. I stood up for a lot of guys most notably Wise and Konerko.

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

Oh i totally despised Rios. No doubt. I despised Dunn too I believe. I stood up for a lot of guys most notably Wise and Konerko.

Paulie does not qualify for this in any way, shape or form unless you defended his speed.

I will self admit that i never appreciated Jose Valentin for what he was. He always frustrated me - than I look back on his stats and wonder what was I thinking.  But Sweaty Freddy was one of those guys that early in his Sox career - his starts were can't miss, late in his Sox career - if I knew Freddy was on the mound, I'd make plans cause the starts would take FOREVER and usually were relatively ugly (but boy I give him credit for how long he grinded out his career despite having far diminished stuff from his prime).  

5 hours ago, Quin said:

Paulie does not qualify for this in any way, shape or form unless you defended his speed.

Don't forget we've been on the board a long time. Paulie got love after Sox won the title. He was despised by many before. I took a lot of grief for loving Paulie. I was glad at the end people universally liked him. Check the threads before the title.

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I do not see anyone having mentioned Jake Peavy in this thread. No one talked more while doing less to back it up.

I mentioned Peavy. 

EDIT: nope, I must not have posted that. 

Edited by Jack Parkman