All-time Soxtalk Whipping Boy

ron883

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Ty. You literally just made me control-F on every page of this thread trying to figure out how I missed it.

I was going to make a comment on Peavy when I mentioned Swisher but the edit must not have gone through. 

Peavy was actually a decent #4 after the injury, I think he got too much shit because ppl didn't want to accept that he wasn't the same pitcher. Same with Danks after his injury. Danks wasn't going to give up his money so at that point it was up to the Sox to cut him loose, but they continued to run him out there every 5th day to get lit up. He had to get embarrassed on a weekly basis to get paid 

Edited by Jack Parkman

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I was going to make a comment on Peavy when I mentioned Swisher but the edit must not have gone through. 

Peavy was actually a decent #4 after the injury, I think he got too much shit because ppl didn't want to accept that he wasn't the same pitcher. Same with Danks after his injury. Danks wasn't going to give up his money so at that point it was up to the Sox to cut him loose, but they continued to run him out there every 5th day to get lit up. He had to get embarrassed on a weekly basis to get paid 

Peavy was decent enough in 2012, but by the time he was traded in 2013 I never wanted to read another quote from him. He talked a big game and couldn't back it up, and I think some of his "over the top intensity!!!" brushed off on Sale in a bad way.

Tony LaRussa. I opposed his hire. I didn't like the way it came down, and I still don't think he was the right man for this team at this moment. But the team is in first and probably will win the division. Having said that, I hope someone else in that job in 2022.

Another whipping boy. Jerry Reinsdorf. Sometimes he doesn't deserve it. Sometimes, he does in a big way.

I have never seen a very good to great player get as much shit on here as AJ.  AJ is one of the 2 best all around players I have seen play here as starting catchers in my life time and the other is in the Hall of Fame.  But my gosh reading SoxTalk you'd think he wasn't good at anything.

I guess people have different meanings for the term whipping boy.  In terms of getting saddled with undeserved complaints about production, it's AJ for me.  Many of the players listed here we're wholly deserving of the criticism they received.  Of course, it all belongs on the dorf first and his cronies in the office below him well before any of it deserves to fall upon the shoulders of a Jerry Owens or Darin Erstad or Mark Kotsay for example.  Teams with championship aspirations should never have to rely on players like that and when they do and those players are inadequate, the blame all belongs on the shoulders of ownership and the front office.  

The biggest screwjob the Sox and their fans ever got was jerry.  Some of the names listed in this thread should serve as a good reminder of that.

On 7/3/2021 at 11:55 PM, Stinky Stanky said:

Most of us understand what a whipping boy is. (he who gets blamed for everything)  That's good.  I nominate any and all owners, especially the current one, with the exception of Bill Veeck.

Veeck was awful.

34 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You mean Jeremy?

Probably.  One of my own Can't Miss guys.  Wrong again.

Actually, I meant Adam Dunn.  I was not wrong on that one, however.

Thanks for catching my error.....