Moncada to miss weekend series vs. DET

caulfield12

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

What happened to Moncada? I missed the game. And the announcement. 

He was going 1st to 3rd on a single and started into what was supposed to be a head first slide but ended up landing very awkwardly on his right arm and hand. Had a big gash on his hand and was having some trouble squeezing with it. He stayed in the game as a base runner but was then replaced in the field.

2 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

He was going 1st to 3rd on a single and started into what was supposed to be a head first slide but ended up landing very awkwardly on his right arm and hand. Had a big gash on his hand and was having some trouble squeezing with it. He stayed in the game as a base runner but was then replaced in the field.

Another headfirst slide. Stoney will not be amused.

9 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Ouch. Was there blood? That's a good week to heal if it was a opened up.

11 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Yeah I remember when Giolito got a cut on his finger and the trainers were all over him keeping him out of action. For an infielder, Im thinking if its a normal cut without stitches he can play with a bandage on it. Especially the glove hand. Unless it is the throwing hand at a grip point. All bets are off then.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

34 minutes ago, ptatc said:

it looked like someone took an exacto knife to the back of his hand, it was pretty gruesome imo.  I've had some bad strawberries, this one looked more like a watermelon. It also looked like some (for a major league infield) some really big chunks of rocks in the infield.  Sox should get that looked at.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Why don't these guys slide feet first, like it was originally intended"  Pete Rose started this nonsense, and now everyone thinks head first is associated with hustle.

Edited by oldsox
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Why don't these guys slide feet first, like it was originally intended"  Pete Rose started this nonsense, and now everyone things head first is associated with hustle.

All of these tricky slides…pull back the hands at the last second or do the gator arm thing to deke the infielders.

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

it looked like someone took an exacto knife to the back of his hand, it was pretty gruesome imo.  I've had some bad strawberries, this one looked more like a watermelon. It also looked like some (for a major league infield) some really big chunks of rocks in the infield.  Sox should get that looked at.

If it was to back of the hand then it will shorter healing time.

49 minutes ago, ptatc said:

If it was to back of the hand then it will shorter healing time.

It was back of hand. I was much more concerned with a broken hand. Sounds like he avoided that. I’m sure it’ll be sore a few days, but he’ll be fine. Per usual, he acted like he took a gun shot which always makes it look pretty bad in the moment.

13 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

So 26-14 against teams not called the Chicago White Sox.

They have the makings of a top rotation with three talented youngsters now in place…Torkelson and Greene on the way, but the biggest question for the immediate future is how much the son is willing to spend as owner, compared to the father.  Of course, Cabrera is also a heavy drag on payroll but at least there’s now light at the end of the tunnel.

The Tigers in the short term need to deal Schoop and Boyd, and figure out what to do with Fulmer as well.

1 hour ago, quickman said:

Moncada will miss less time then when he couldn’t handle the sniffles. 

I have been wrecked by a sinus infection that I thought I could just get through.  It sucks 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I have been wrecked by a sinus infection that I thought I could just get through.  It sucks 

I'm trying to figure out if he was making a dig at people getting covid or not 

10 minutes ago, Baron said:

I'm trying to figure out if he was making a dig at people getting covid or not 

I assumed it was the sinus infection.  Would be more disappointing if he was referring to Covid as that has killed multiple people I know 

5 minutes ago, That funky motion said:

Have people not saw the video of this play? I honestly thought he might’ve broke his wrist, fingers or hurt his shoulder. I was surprised when he was kept in the game,  until he scored. 

The way he lay there grimacing in pain and acting like he could barely struggle up to one knee, I was certain he either separated his shoulder or broke his collar bone.  Turned out the drama queen scraped the back of his hand.  

It is this situation where I get on our 6 year old kids that I coach that - 1 - don't slide unless you need to (cause at this age - it is super fun). My exception is if they want to slide into home, be my guest (cause no catchers are crowding the plate these days) - and NEVER EVER SLIDE INTO 1st and ALWAYS SLIDE Feet 1st (not head first).  

That said - I was really worried he was seriously injured, so this could end up as a blessing in disguise as he'll get some R&R for his lower body while the hand recovers a bit.  And for those that worry about his power - I just won't. He's got a .400 OBP, plays plus defense, is fast, and has strength.  He's got so much talent that he's still feeilng his way to this point - but he's going to put up an MVP year or two in his career - which is really cool to think, because if Robert comes back and has no LT health implications from his injury - I truly believe the same in him. 

On the Burger front - I get it, "where would he play" - but I just wouldn't worry about it. White Sox should not be in the market of trading guys who have a decent shot of being a solid to above average big league hitter (and COST CONTROLLED).  They just shouldn't - because they don't have the financial wherewithall to do it. And for Gallo - please.  I don't think Gallo puts them over the top - reality is - this team with a healthy lineup is absolutely fine, the real question is whether the rotation is still together and firing come the postseason (or will Rodon have tired out / injuries have occurred).  

If I were to trade chips - I'd be the contrarian who would be going after a cost controlled arm to join the group, knowing the pending risks on the Rodon/Lynn front...although I tend to believe Sox keep one of those guys for another few years.  

• Like 1