With everyone healthy what is your lineup for game 1 of the playoffs?

brijames1957

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% healthy Adam Eaton was actually quite valuable in April, the problem is we’re not going to get that guy.  That being said, who are the eight outfielders you are referring to?

Eloy, Robert, Vaughn, Goodwin, Sheets, Hamilton, Engel, Garcia. 

Only one of those guys is a “complete” player and there’s only two I would call “good”. But I truly believe every single one (except maybe sheets, which I will fully cop to maybe jumping the gun) brings more to the table than Eaton. 

Right now if you asked me to pick five, since I think eloy will do a lot of DHing, and assuming all are healthy I’m taking Eloy, Robert, Vaughn, Engel and Garcia. Hamilton has value as a d sub and base running and is actually hitting okay all of the sudden. Goodwin is a nice piece, and I think sheets is a pretty okay lefty power bat. 

Eaton brings nothing to the table except scrappy bullshit. 

Edited by mqr

32 minutes ago, mqr said:

Eloy, Robert, Vaughn, Goodwin, Sheets, Hamilton, Engel, Garcia. 

Only one of those guys is a “complete” player and there’s only two I would call “good”. But I truly believe every single one (except maybe sheets, which I will fully cop to maybe jumping the gun) brings more to the table than Eaton. 

Right now if you asked me to pick five, since I think eloy will do a lot of DHing, and assuming all are healthy I’m taking Eloy, Robert, Vaughn, Engel and Garcia. Hamilton has value as a d sub and base running and is actually hitting okay all of the sudden. Goodwin is a nice piece, and I think sheets is a pretty okay lefty power bat. 

Eaton brings nothing to the table except scrappy bullshit. 

This. I don't see how Eaton has a spot on this team, other than the facts that he is a veteran and makes 7m this year. There's so many better OFs on the team when healthy. 

How great would it be if Sheets keeps hitting all year to the point where we need his LH bat in the playoffs?  Vaughn and Sheets in LF/RF and Eloy as the DH, with Engel and Hamilton available for pinch running and defense late in the game. Or perhaps Eloy in RF and Sheets at DH. 

• Like 1

If we stay pat:

RHP

Anderson (SS)

Moncada (3B)

Abreu (1B)

Eloy (DH)

Grandal (C)

Robert (CF)

Sheets (RF)

Vaughn (LF)

Garcia (2B)- Would be okay with Burger if he shows he can hit a little bit and learns the position better.

Vs LHP

Anderson (SS)

Grandal (C)

Abreu (1B)

Eloy (DH)

Moncada (3B)

Vaughn (LF)

Robert (CF)

Burger (2B)

Hamilton (RF)

You know, with the Sox having so many players capable of getting hot or not ... this might sound weird but I'm glad we have LaRussa here to sort it out. He is experienced and quite frankly will likely make the right decisions in the postseason. Again ... you've got Vaughn, Sheets, Collins, Burger, Sheets, Robert, Goodwin, Mendick, Engles of the world who could really be rotten or be great. I kinda trust Tony to figure it out.

And the pitching! I trust him to figure out which of the many bodies are capable of getting hot vs. not thru the postseason.

Edited by greg775

5 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Do you think there’s a real chance that the Sox get Story or is that just what you want them to do? I’ve seen you mention him a couple times.

Wondered the same thing.

Eloy is not going to be a full-time DH.  It doesn't matter what fans think about that or even what Tony wants. The reason is simple - Eloy will not agree to it and neither would his agent. They are not going to allow his current and future value to be diminished by becoming a player without a defensive position.  Guys who are just coming into the league and are trying to establish themselves are different - they will gladly accept any role to stay in the league. 

So pencil in Eloy or even Abreu at DH all you want but that isn't going to happen, at least not  until and unless they agree to it.

10 minutes ago, tray said:

Eloy is not going to be a full-time DH.  It doesn't matter what fans think about that or even what Tony wants. The reason is simple - Eloy will not agree to it and neither would his agent. They are not going to allow his current and future value to be diminished by becoming a player without a defensive position.  Guys who are just coming into the league and are trying to establish themselves are different - they will gladly accept any role to stay in the league. 

So pencil in Eloy or even Abreu at DH all you want but that isn't going to happen, at least not  until and unless they agree to it.

It's cute you think he has a choice.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, tray said:

Ban bet that Eloy will be the primary DH the rest of the year when he returns

6 hours ago, ron883 said:

Ban bet that Eloy will be the primary DH the rest of the year when he returns

"the rest of the year when he returns" ??

You mean the last few weeks this season?     Uh no takers on that bud, but anyway, that was not the point.

Stars like Eloy and Abreu (and sometimes, their agents if things go too far) have a lot to say to management about whether or not they will be relegated to being a full-time DH.  I have tried to explain this a few times and do not feel like doing it again.

How about asking Eloy if he is OK being a full-time DH for the rest of his career and post his answer? He has already been insulted and called out as being stupid by fans and people in the media because he reached out over the wall to try to prevent a home run and ended up in the netting trying to catch a foul ball.

Eloy has the height, reach and speed to become a decent outfielder.

Eloy Jimenez has been an OF for 168 games. In those games he has been so bad at it, that he has injured himself multiple times with his defensive negligence. 

We are to the point where Eloy doesn't get a choice as his horribleness in the OF is hurting not just him, but his team. 

12 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's cute you think he has a choice.

Eloy is 24 years old. He will agree to DH on occasion along with Abreu, Vaughn, Grandal, and others, but he will not agree to limit his role to being the full-time DH, at least not during the next few seasons, nor should he.  That is a role for an aging, plodding, one-dimensional player whose value is limited accordingly.  I don't even think Abreu will , at least for another 2-3 years.

Eloy can play some first base. He can also play the OF like Vaughn, Sheets and Lamb have done - play deep so almost everything is hit in front of you.  Cut down on any risky plays like diving or jumping for balls. 

Pitchers like Keuchel don't like OFs playing deep and allowing balls to drop in for hits, but we don't see them complaining much when powerful corner Outfielders are putting runs on the board.  There is a balance to be struck and that depends mostly on who can hit and whether or not they can hit in the clutch.

23 minutes ago, tray said:

Eloy is 24 years old. He will agree to DH on occasion along with Abreu, Vaughn, Grandal, and others, but he will not agree to limit his role to being the full-time DH, at least not during the next few seasons, nor should he.  That is a role for an aging, plodding, one-dimensional player whose value is limited accordingly.  I don't even think Abreu will , at least for another 2-3 years.

Eloy can play some first base. He can also play the OF like Vaughn, Sheets and Lamb have done - play deep so almost everything is hit in front of you.  Cut down on any risky plays like diving or jumping for balls. 

Pitchers like Keuchel don't like OFs playing deep and allowing balls to drop in for hits, but we don't see them complaining much when powerful corner Outfielders are putting runs on the board.  There is a balance to be struck and that depends mostly on who can hit and whether or not they can hit in the clutch.

Eloy is exactly this.  He is literally putting himself on the injured list on a regular basis because he can't play a defensive position.  Jose Abreu plays a very good 1B.

And again, Eloy doesn't have a choice.  If he gets told to DH, he will DH.

6 hours ago, tray said:

"the rest of the year when he returns" ??

You mean the last few weeks this season?     Uh no takers on that bud, but anyway, that was not the point.

Stars like Eloy and Abreu (and sometimes, their agents if things go too far) have a lot to say to management about whether or not they will be relegated to being a full-time DH.  I have tried to explain this a few times and do not feel like doing it again.

How about asking Eloy if he is OK being a full-time DH for the rest of his career and post his answer? He has already been insulted and called out as being stupid by fans and people in the media because he reached out over the wall to try to prevent a home run and ended up in the netting trying to catch a foul ball.

Eloy has the height, reach and speed to become a decent outfielder.

I'm not sure this video helps your argument.  I see a guy out of control on 90% of these plays.

Can he improve?  Yes, of course.

Will he improve with enough time?  Probably.

Can the Sox afford to risk him injuring himself again with on the job training?  I don't think so.  

I hope he puts in hundreds of hours this offseason improving his situational awareness because he has the speed and tools to play decently out there.  

Edited by black jack

1 hour ago, black jack said:

I'm not sure this video helps your argument.  I see a guy out of control on 90% of these plays.

I hope he puts in hundreds of hours this offseason improving his situational awareness because he has the speed and tools to play decently out there.  

The video demonstrates that Eloy  has made difficult plays on balls hit in front of him and some  over his head and you are correct, he does look out-of-control on many of those. However, 95% of catches he makes that are not on that video  are routine fly balls hit in the vicinity where he is set up.  I don't think Eloy has to improve his defense greatly. He just has to stay under control - play deep and let  balls hit in front of him  fall in for base hits, like Vaughn does.  Don't slide and dive, jump in the net to catch a foul ball or reach over the fence to rob a home run.  Staying within himself is the key - do not try to do to much in order to impress people that he is a gold glove outfielder.  In the meantime, Vaughn should continue to play deep and play conservatively to avoid injury.   Neither of them is in the outfield because of their defense.