Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Look at Ray Ray Run

Burger called up

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Well if it's not enough hitting, then how do you explain 48-32 16 games over .500. MLB stats against 30 teams, 2nd in OBP, 6th in Runs per games, 5th in BA and Run Diff of +95 which is tied for 3rd.

You say our division is secondary. Are you kidding me. It's the worst division in baseball and the reason we are 5 games in front. Only team in any division with a bigger lead is Milwaukee at 6.5 games up. Btw, the next 9 games are against Detroit, 36-45, Baltimore, 27-54 and then Minnesota 33-46. So please don't tell me playing in our central division is secondary. 

Our team has probably near the top for most injuries in baseball, definitely most injuries for core players. Yet we are still in first and Eloy and Robert are back around the end of this month.

I agree its more than winning the division and going for the World Series. That is why when we get Eloy and Robert get back, we can do exactly that. 

I've made posts over and over regarding this topic and so have others many others regarding the need for Left handed power and why we continue to be in 1st place. The Sox have fattened up on weak teams in the division and have great starting pitching. They also play extremely well at home. They aren't so good on the road. They are 22-6 against against MN, Det., and KC . Right there is your 16 games above .500 . Against the rest of baseball they are .500. 

They will not be playing Twins. Tigers or Royals in the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lillian said:

What is Gallo likely to receive, in arbitration, next season?

He’s at 6 mil right now. I think between 8 and 10 is a safe bet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I've made posts over and over regarding this topic and so have others many others regarding the need for Left handed power and why we continue to be in 1st place. The Sox have fattened up on weak teams in the division and have great starting pitching. They also play extremely well at home. They aren't so good on the road. They are 22-6 against against MN, Det., and KC . Right there is your 16 games above .500 . Against the rest of baseball they are .500. 

They will not be playing Twins. Tigers or Royals in the playoffs.

As the saying goes beat the bad teams ay 500 against the good ones. That's what they are doing. 

By the playoffs they will have at least Jimenez back and most likely Robert back to help the offense and power .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I've only said that on about half a dozen posts.  If you did more than just cntr-f for my posts and other "gotcha" moments on this forum you'd know that.  You're a pest dude, all you do is troll.  On topics you've personally been wrong about you never, ever offer any thoughts.  On topics in which you personally don't have a beef with a poster (of which you have many, you know what they say about assholes in the morning and all day) you're usually nowhere to be found.

You're a middle aged man, like myself, that has a career and other interests and yet unlike myself you seem to have the posting mentality of a 15 year old on reddit armed with a downvote and some circle jerk coins.

Go read my posts on Burger.  I was wrong.  And if you know anything about my posting history here beyond your superficial, puerile harvesting for gotcha takes you'd have read my multiple posts not only saying I was wrong but that I am looking forward to personally apologizing to Jake when I see him on a MLB field.

Honestly dude go fuck yourself you're such a worthless poster.  You're the Soxtalk equivalent of Josh Donaldson.

I see where you also worked pest into this…the midseason quote that is only rivaled by TLR’s drunken HoFer, bro recording. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ptatc said:

As the saying goes beat the bad teams ay 500 against the good ones. That's what they are doing. 

By the playoffs they will have at least Jimenez back and most likely Robert back to help the offense and power .

So you think 26 other teams the Sox are playing .500 against are all good teams ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've been as harsh as any on these boards when it comes to Burger. I've doubted his dedication to his fitness and his desire to be well enough to allow his talent to take over.

But now, I'll give him his due for fighting through all that he's been through. Congrats to him, in getting to this point. Godspeed Jake Burger, you've earned this.

Go make us all proud.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So you think 26 other teams the Sox are playing .500 against are all good teams ?

You are reading way too much into small sample sizes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

You are reading way too much into small sample sizes.

Sorry I don't understand. What small sample size ? They're halfway though the season . It's at this point that teams analyze what they need. If you build your record against 3 terrible teams and play .500 against 26 teams doesn't that tell you something ? It's the same thing as last year only this year we have better starting pitching but a crappier pen. We've got fantastic contributions from bench players but how comfortable are you with those bench players in the playoffs ? Granted Eloy and Robert will return but will we be getting them at their best ? With them the lineup is overly RH . It's just a fact we need more power and more LHP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, mqr said:

We already have 6 of him

It was a joke lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sorry I don't understand. What small sample size ? They're halfway though the season . It's at this point that teams analyze what they need. If you build your record against 3 terrible teams and play .500 against 26 teams doesn't that tell you something ? It's the same thing as last year only this year we have better starting pitching but a crappier pen. We've got fantastic contributions from bench players but how comfortable are you with those bench players in the playoffs ? Granted Eloy and Robert will return but will we be getting them at their best ? With them the lineup is overly RH . It's just a fact we need more power and more LHP.

LHP or batters against RHP?

Let’s hope the last four games of Vaughn continues a trend in this regard…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

LHP or batters against RHP?

Let’s hope the last four games of Vaughn continues a trend in this regard…

I would guess that he meant LH power. Hence; "We need more power and more LH power". Of course, I agree. The anticipated return of Eloy & Robert adds power, but not more LH power. If the Sox have to face some of the dominant RH pitchers in the Post Season, without more LH power bats, that deficiency would likely be a glaring weakness. I'd like to remind everyone that Yoan Moncada has 5 home runs, in half a season, hitting in the middle of the order.

Edited by Lillian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

LHP or batters against RHP?

Let’s hope the last four games of Vaughn continues a trend in this regard…

 

Left handed power sorry. And thank you @Lillian. I had no idea what he was asking me since I didn't realize I had typed LHP for LH power.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I have no idea. We were talking about the Sox overall record being the same amount of games over .500 as it is against the Twins , Tigers and Royals which means the Sox are .500 against all the other teams they've played so far  in a discussion about why the Sox need to make trades .

Huh? He was asking for clarification on the last sentence of your post. What did you mean by “LHP”?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Huh? He was asking for clarification on the last sentence of your post. What did you mean by “LHP”?

I thought Caulfield was trying to answer a question I asked of German Sox fan. I didn't realize I made a mistake saying LHP when I meant left handed power. If he had bolded the LHP in my post I would've figured it out. Thanks for your help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's only been a few games but Jesus christ it would he hard to trade burger. No baseball for three years, comes back and spits on MLB pitching. Amazing story, 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I know it's only been a few games but Jesus christ it would he hard to trade burger. No baseball for three years, comes back and spits on MLB pitching. Amazing story, 

A lot of great stories for the Sox this year, but I think his story is my favorite.  I'd be bummed if they traded him now

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, wegner said:

A lot of great stories for the Sox this year, but I think his story is my favorite.  I'd be bummed if they traded him now

 

Agreed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wegner said:

A lot of great stories for the Sox this year, but I think his story is my favorite.  I'd be bummed if they traded him now

 

We need to try him at 2nd base.  Maybe he will be adequate much like Vaughn has been a pleasant surprise in left.  That homer was 456 feet with 115 exit velocity.  

  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love both Sheets and Burger and would hate to see them traded at this point. I understand that the roster is stacked and there wont be room for everyone however.. A great problem to have, but the inevitable will sting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He has the most interesting stat page in baseball. The gap between 2017 and 2021 and the sheer dominance this year at both AAA and MLB.. how did he do it? Kudos to the Sox for not throwing him in AA and leaving him there. 

burger.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a season. This team plowing through all the injuries just makes it all the better. It really does feel like we're on the Dodgers type level now. Over the past few years you'd go look at that team and it'd be like 75-38 record and then you'd look at the lineup. They'd have Justin Turner out. Bellinger out, Betts out etc. and you'd see guys like Edwin Rios and Kike Hernandez and Chris Taylor and go ... how do they do it? How do they have guys who are seemingly replacement level come in and bat .320 and hit key homers?? And that's us now!

Burger is my favorite story too and am starting to be in the same crew that  ... how do you trade him??? He looks so pure. It's hard to envision after his time off that his trade value reflects his potential at this point ... so i think you have to hold him. But that said? Where do you play him? where do you play sheets? if we get a 2b .... what do you do then? Not many roster spots and even less when you think about getting Eloy and Robert back. Going to be a fun, fun September/October ahead. All those terrible years - we finally get the payoff day in and out. love it

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the Sox are planning on the September roster expansion along with Robert and Grandal coming back. That would mean keeping Burger and Sheets in September, as well as having (hopefully) Robert and Grandal back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bear_brian said:

I wonder if the Sox are planning on the September roster expansion along with Robert and Grandal coming back. That would mean keeping Burger and Sheets in September, as well as having (hopefully) Robert and Grandal back. 

No way they hold on to all those bats. It’s likely they carry an extra reliever (maybe 2) and an extra catcher. Rosters only expand 2 spots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

I love both Sheets and Burger and would hate to see them traded at this point. I understand that the roster is stacked and there wont be room for everyone however.. A great problem to have, but the inevitable will sting. 

There actually is though

Lineup: 

SS- TA
3B- Moncada
1B- Abreu
DH- Eloy
CF- Robert
LF- Vaughn
RF- Sheets
2B- Burger 
C- Grandal

Bench:

OF- Engel
OF- Hamilton
Util- Leury
C- Collins
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moncada said:

There actually is though

Lineup: 

SS- TA
3B- Moncada
1B- Abreu
DH- Eloy
CF- Robert
LF- Vaughn
RF- Sheets
2B- Burger 
C- Grandal

Bench:

OF- Engel
OF- Hamilton
Util- Leury
C- Collins
 

You can't run out Burger at 2B and Sheets in RF during the playoffs. That defense is so bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×