Burger called up

Just now, ron883 said:

You can't run out Burger at 2B and Sheets in RF during the playoffs. That defense is so bad.

Better than Leury playing at all.  So actually you can.  Its working now, meaning it can work during the playoffs.  The game don't change just bc you see the words "playoffs"

We have the back half of the season to see what Burger can do at 2B.  And I can guarantee you it won't be any worse than the horrific play from Leury these last 2 games.  

44 minutes ago, Moncada said:

Better than Leury playing at all.  So actually you can.  Its working now, meaning it can work during the playoffs.  The game don't change just bc you see the words "playoffs"

We have the back half of the season to see what Burger can do at 2B.  And I can guarantee you it won't be any worse than the horrific play from Leury these last 2 games.  

Burger hasn't played 2B yet, so no, it isn't working. They'll trade for a 2B. They won't be going into the playoffs with Burger at 2B.

Edited by ron883

34 minutes ago, Moncada said:

The problem with that is your playing against better teams in the playoffs. The Sox record against better teams this year isn’t great. Yes, they are getting back most of there players but you can’t rely on if they will be 100 percent healthy. They need to make a trade.

Edited by maloney.adam

48 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

Playing Burger at 2B is absurd.  

Playing Vaughn in LF was considered absurd in March.

I agree it's absurd to try this in October, without proven success in the regular season. The team has a big enough cushion to try Burger at 2B for a few weeks, if he has been practicing there and given a lot of pre game reps like Vaughn did in his crash course. That is unless they determined he cannot based on a very short 4 game sample in Charlotte.

• Thanks 1

You guys are pretty delusional if you think the Sox can get a 2B without trading Sheets and Burger.  

So we would be wayyyyyy overpaying for a rental and losing 2 studs.   

They aren't doing that.   Burger needs to be in the lineup everyday and so does Sheets.   They are better hitters than 

Leury

Goodwin

Engel

Hamilton

Mendick

Collins

Zavala

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Playing Vaughn in LF was considered absurd in March.

I agree it's absurd to try this in October, without proven success in the regular season. The team has a big enough cushion to try Burger at 2B for a few weeks, if he has been practicing there and given a lot of pre game reps like Vaughn did in his crash course. That is unless they determined he cannot based on a very short 4 game sample in Charlotte.

Yes, but LF is typically known as a place to hide bad defenders.  2B, not so much.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Moncada said:

You guys are pretty delusional if you think the Sox can get a 2B without trading Sheets and Burger.  

They aren't doing that.   Burger needs to be in the lineup everyday and so does Sheets.   They are better hitters than 

Leury

Goodwin

Engel

Hamilton

Mendick

Collins

Zavala

Ban bet that we get Escobar with trading Sheets or Burger. You think it costs both? LOL, sure dude.

Edited by ron883
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Ban bet that we get Escobar with trading Sheets or Burger. You think it costs both? LOL, sure dude.

The sox have no one, and I mean no one in their farm they can trade for Escobar outside of Sheets or Burger.  

No one wants Lambert

No one wants Reynaldo

You see what Joc went for (Escobar will be similar), sox have nothing close to that to offer. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Moncada said:

Leury

Goodwin

Engel

Hamilton

Mendick

Collins

Zavala

What are you talking about?!?! It’s not going to cost that much to acquire someone like Escobar.

• Haha 1

Just now, Moncada said:

The sox have no one, and I mean no one in their farm they can trade for Escobar outside of Sheets or Burger.  

No one wants Lambert

No one wants Reynaldo

You see what Joc went for (Escobar will be similar), sox have nothing close to that to offer. 

Yes, Joc netted such an elite talent in return

Just now, maloney.adam said:

What are you talking about?!?! It’s not going to cost that much to acquire someone like Escobar.

My point is the sox have Sheets and Burger than mostly garbage left that can be traded.   They won't make any trade outside of a RP unless they include Sheets or Burger 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Moncada said:

Leury

Goodwin

Engel

Hamilton

Mendick

Collins

Zavala

If Burger is so good that he has to play no matter what maybe he could play catcher as well to replace Collins and Zavala!

5 hours ago, Moncada said:

No one wants Lambert

No one wants Reynaldo

If the Sox offered Lambert it would've been done already. There is some word going around that the deal was already done but Escobar had a little injury problem and our minor league relief pitcher who was going to be the piece traded needed a cortisone shot. Then after some digging by some here at Soxtalk I think that pitcher was Tyler Johnson.

This has not been confirmed of course but it makes sense. The Sox won't need to give up a great prospect for 3 months of Escobar. Az. either trades him or keeps him and loses him to Free Agency next year. They want the best player they can get for him but a decent relief pitching prospect like Johnson sounds about right. We also don't know if there was any other piece involved.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/2/2021 at 9:39 AM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Burger has to be one of the more impressive stories I've seen in my baseball viewing life.

Burger hadn't played a professional game, before this year, since 2017. 2017!!!

He was coming back from an injury that just 15-20 years ago was a career ender, and he suffered the injury twice! No one comes back twice.

This year he hasn't just been good, he's been unbelievable in AAA. He even started a little slowly - likely due to the time off - but he now has a wRC+ of 150 through 185 PA's. He's been arguably the best hitter in AAA for the past month+, and he's done it with power and a reasonable k-rate. HIs bb rate could use a little growth, but he somehow found a way to turn the hitch in his swing into a load-timing mechanism that gets his hands to the zone quicker and keeps them in the zone longer - a pretty wild adjustment.

For someone with as little experience as he has had over the past few years, his growth is amazing. You got to wonder where Burger would be developmentally if not for the injuries. I don't know if he'll succeed in the big leagues, but the performance he has had this year is nothing short of remarkable. Pretty crazy for a guy that was retiring because he attended a Bears v Packers game and posted those pictures to instagram.... lol

Jake Burger continues to be one of the most impressive baseball stories of my life time. 

I can only imagine where Jake would be if he didn't miss out on almost 400! Games of minor league play/development. Baseball is a game of reps at the end of the day. He missed a ton of those. 

The next step and evolution for him is plate discipline and strike zone command, something he likely would have acquired and fine tuned at the minor league level. 

At the risk of sounding like Hawk Harrelson talking about Matt Stairs, Burger is just a professional hitter. He's a masher. 

I'm beyond elated to see what the next few years look like for Burger. 

• Like 5
  • Hawk 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Jake Burger continues to be one of the most impressive baseball stories of my life time. 

I can only imagine where Jake would be if he didn't miss out on almost 400! Games of minor league play/development. Baseball is a game of reps at the end of the day. He missed a ton of those. 

The next step and evolution for him is plate discipline and strike zone command, something he likely would have acquired and fine tuned at the minor league level. 

He really needs to figure that out. 
He skipped most of the minors, but most Sox prospects come out of the minors lacking in plate discipline anyway. 

Jake has been unbelievable, and I think his future is very bright if he can stay healthy. 

I’ve been wondering about his swing rate and particularly his swing rate out of the zone, which at times seems highly exploitable. I think the adjustment the league will make is that every pitcher will just not throw him strikes until he learns to stop swinging so much. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

He really needs to figure that out. 
He skipped most of the minors, but most Sox prospects come out of the minors lacking in plate discipline anyway. 

Probably benefitted him to avoid the Sox minor-league “development.” 

• Love 1