GT 7/2 White Sox @ Detroit Tigers 6:10 PM CDT

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sorry buddy not going to apologize. All I said there was that he doesn't have to play every day against RHP which is the same thing I have said all along. His hitting against RHP was terrible there's no way around it. I've seen others say he's been terrible too against RHP who still wanted him to play everyday like @Chicago White Sox from his June 20th thread about ' The Offense -Near Term Actions :

Play Vaughn Everyday in LF.  This one is going to be a bit counter-intuitive, but we need see what we got in the kid and figure out if he can work through his challenges against RHP.  He has been far & away our worst hitter against righties, posting a .487 OPS and 38 wRC+ on the season.  Right-handed pitchers are pummeling him down & away with sliders and he has yet to make the necessary adjustments.  

There's only one difference between him and me.  He wanted him to play every day and I didn't. I think he has done just fine playing against selected RHP and I love that he has shown very well against them recently.Notice he said "far and away our worst hitter against righties." Hmm guess I wasn't the only one who thought that.

The poster I was talking to @BamaDoc said: No offense taken.  I agree with most of what you state.  To a large degree, and this will be unpopular to the antiTony crowd, I think LaRussa has done a pretty good job of playing matchups.  Some of the reasons backups have some decent numbers to invoke is because they have been put in good matchups.  I was surprised Lamb wasn't in last night.

@chw42 said on June 20th in the midst of our slump said: Against RHP, I'd go Lamb at DH, Goodwin in LF, Engel in CF, and Leury in RF. You can even give Collins ABs at DH and have Lamb in LF if we don't have a fly ball heavy starter on the mound. 

I was thinking today Mmaybe you had a point about Vaughn's defense. After all Goodwin isn't so good at any OF defensive position and Vaughn at least makes all the plays he can get to. So i decided to look at fWAR for Vaughn and Goodwin. After all fWAR takes uses hitting ,defense and base running in that particular stat. Vaughn in all the playing time he has received so far was at .4 fWAR . Goodwin in far less playing time had a .6 .

This doesn't mean I am advocating Goodwin play LF over Vaughn . All it really tells me is that Goodwin has hit very well in his short time here and hasn't been much of a liability in the field or on the bases.

It also confirms your total misuse of SSS defensive stats which is what you are really mad about. I called you an amateur. I was willing to cut you some slack but apparently all you want to do is get revenge and cry.

You didn't say he doesn't have to play everyday.

You said Andrew Vaughn doesn't bring a damn thing to the table. You said Hamilton is more valuable against RHP. 

Vaughn isn't good enough defensively or fast enough to justify a spot in the lineup against RHP. He doesn't bring a damn thing to the table. Hamilton is more valuable against RHP than Vaughn is.

You are the one that doesn't bring a damn thing to the table.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

No one likes to be that guy who the rest of the board thinks is full of shit especially when I always strive to be objective especially since I've gone 16 yrs on this board without much controversy.  I never really thought that saying a kid who hadn't played above A ball sitting on the bench every once in a while would create so much venom when he had been so bad against RHP .

I could find a ton of posts that said play him every day or send him down because people wanted the extra year of eligibility. I thought he could learn just as much getting a decent amount of starts against MLB RHP and sitting other times against them. The thing that pisses people off is that I don't back down like most posters do when confronted with an onslaught of negativity against your posts. I have had people just outright lie about how they interpret my feelings about Vaughn and tell me things I never said. I've backed up my opinions with stat after stat.

If what I've been saying is so controversial why are the Sox doing exactly what I thought they should be doing ?

I mean this sincerely, you are one of the best posters here. I don't know why people are going in on you so hard regarding Vaughn. Let's just celebrate his success instead of smearing it in CaliSoxFan's face. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

To be fair, you don't bring much either, if anything.

Cali Sox Fan is a great poster.  Hope he/she continues contributing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

You didn't say he doesn't have to play everyday.

You said Andrew Vaughn doesn't bring a damn thing to the table. You said Hamilton is more valuable against RHP. 

Here's exactly what I said from that quote you used. " I still see so many here saying Vaughn has to play every day. No he doesn't, ...." Strike 1

As far as what I said in the 2nd line I showed you a passage from @Chicago White Sox who said the exact same thing by saying he is " far and away our worst hitter against righties." He just said it in a nicer way. I would assume since he said  "far and away worst" that would include Hamilton too. Strike 2

SO you see once again ,as some have done,you have taken things out of context and just used the part of the quote that suited you.

Strike 3.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

I mean this sincerely, you are one of the best posters here. I don't know why people are going in on you so hard regarding Vaughn. Let's just celebrate his success instead of smearing it in CaliSoxFan's face. 

1 hour ago, Green Line said:

To be fair, you don't bring much either, if anything.

Thank you both for your kind words of encouragement. It is very much appreciated.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Green Line said:

Me too.

My own view is that AV  has been  over-rated and over-hyped as an outfielder.  Vaughn plays deep, a conservative defensive position that allows him to see everything  in front of him while not having to play too many balls hit between him and the outfield wall.   Because he plays deep, he only has to back pedal a few steps before the wall.  Once again yesterday he jumped to catch a routine fly ball far short of the wall after which Benetti/Stone complimented the catch like they just saw Willy Mays famous over the shoulder catch.

Is he a better OF than Eloy? Maybe, but Eloy is taller and faster than Vaughn and probably makes plays on balls that Vaughn could not get to.

Perhaps Eloy should learn a few lessons from Vaughn about playing LF - play deep to avoid running into the outfield wall, , allow balls to drop in front of you  instead of diving for them,  and never risk life and limb to catch a fly ball.

• Like 1

If you truly want to win games, just as you don't want other bad hitting players in the game you shouldn't want Vaughn in the game either against RHP. Vaughn isn't good enough defensively or fast enough to justify a spot in the lineup against RHP. He doesn't bring a damn thing to the table. Hamilton is more valuable against RHP than Vaughn is.

5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Feel free to quote any of my posts about Vaughn and tell me where I lied ? People keep lieing to me telling me I wanted him to be part of a weak side platoon. Search my posts see if you can find one that says that ?

Come on back it up just don't tell me your opinion otherwise sit down and shut up.

Does not compute, you're out.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

1 minute ago, tray said:

Me too.

My own view is that AV  has been  over-rated and over-hyped as an outfielder.  Vaughn plays deep, a conservative defensive position that allows him to see everything  in front of him while not having to play too many balls hit between him and the outfield wall.   Because he plays deep, he only has to back pedal a few steps before the wall.  Once again yesterday he jumped to catch a routine fly ball far short of the wall after which Benetti/Stone complimented the catch like they just saw Willy Mays famous over the shoulder catch.

Is he a better OF than Eloy? Maybe, but Eloy is taller and faster than Vaughn and probably makes plays on balls that Vaughn could not get to.

Perhaps Eloy should learn a few lessons from Vaughn about playing LF - play deep to avoid running into the outfield wall, , allow balls to drop in front of you  instead of diving for them,  and never risk life and limb to catch a fly ball.

Eloy will never learn anything from Vaughn about playing the OF - because he will never play it again.