Trevor Bauer receives 2 YEAR suspension from MLB

Kyyle23

On 8/27/2021 at 8:28 PM, oldsox said:

What if he is in jail?  I can't believe they have to pay him in that case.

If he were charged with a crime and put in jail he wouldn't be on administrative leave anymore and would get a suspension that would stop the money coming in. 

There would need to be at least criminal charges and or substantial documentation for multiple incidents for a one year suspension to survive an arbitration challenge.

Not defending Bauer, just stating the process needs to also be fair/consistent, can’t just be yet another owner salary cancellation/suppression vehicle.

Chapman choked his girlfriend and fired a gun 8 times in an incident and got 30 games. Sam Dyson (Full Season) and Jose Torres (100 games) are the only players to receive a suspension over 85 games, and they had multiple prior incidents and suspensions in MLB related incidents (Dyson especially).

I do agree he is likely to be blackballed, now that the Astros FO has been blown up. Don’t see another organization with the stomach to take this on.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

9 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

There would need to be at least criminal charges and or substantial documentation for multiple incidents for a one year suspension to survive an arbitration challenge.

Not defending Bauer, just stating the process needs to also be fair/consistent, can’t just be yet another owner salary cancellation/suppression vehicle.

Chapman choked his girlfriend and fired a gun 8 times in an incident and got 30 games. Sam Dyson (Full Season) and Jose Torres (100 games) are the only players to receive a suspension over 85 games, and they had multiple prior incidents and suspensions in MLB related incidents (Dyson especially).

I do agree he is likely to be blackballed, now that the Astros FO has been blown up. Don’t see another organization with the stomach to take this on.

I absolutely can see a 1 year suspension being a minimum and it being upheld during arbitration. Also agree with you and Passan… he’s likely done in MLB for good.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32119416/will-trevor-bauer-ever-pitch-again-next-los-angeles-dodgers-mlb?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Won’t miss him a wink.

Edited by hi8is

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Based on his contract, if the league does not assess a suspension by November 1st, Trevor will either receive $28M on that day and remain under contract for the next two seasons, at which time he may be assessed a suspension with pay, or he can opt out and receive $2M on November 1, 2021, and ten more $2M payments between November 1, 2031 and 2040.

They can’t retroactively confiscate 2021 salary after November 1, 2021.

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2021 at 8:50 AM, oldsox said:

The salary for 2022 is huge.  Something like $40-45 million, IIRC.

His contract is for $32M in 2022, and $32M in 2023, or a $15M buyout for 2023 in the event Bauer opts out after 2022.

However, a portion of the remaining two years can be forfeited in the event MLB issues a suspension and it's upheld via arbitration if challenged by Bauer.

Sam Dyson is the only player in MLB history to receive a one year suspension for Domestic Violence. Six players received suspensions between 51-100 days, and the remaining seven players receiving suspensions served between 7-40 days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_players_suspended_for_domestic_violence

Based on the above, I do not believe MLB can credibly suspend him for more than a year, and believe anything beyond a 40-50 game suspension would be challenged by Bauer's attorneys.

On 9/10/2021 at 4:47 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

Based on his contract, if the league does not assess a suspension by November 1st, Trevor will either receive $28M on that day and remain under contract for the next two seasons, at which time he may be assessed a suspension with pay, or he can opt out and receive $2M on November 1, 2021, and ten more $2M payments between November 1, 2031 and 2040.

They can’t retroactively confiscate 2021 salary after November 1, 2021.

Trevor Bauer did not opt out for 2022 as expected, and therefore is entitled to his full $28M 2021 salary, which cannot be retroactively confiscated with any suspension, in addition to his $10M signing bonus, which was never in jeopardy.  There will be no "Trevor Bauer 11/1 Days" between 2031-2040. Bobby Bonilla remains MLB Legend, Julio "Juice" Cruz White Sox Legend, in this regard.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/11/trevor-bauer-to-decline-opt-out-for-2022-season.html

• 4 months later...
On 4/1/2022 at 7:38 PM, Texsox said:

That's gonna help him get on the field. Teams want players willing to sue the folks that give them free publicity.

Seriously?  Free publicity?  He got plenty of publicity just playing baseball. If a reporter truly reported something known to be untrue and it damaged his reputation, I hope he succeeds in holding them accountable. That type of thing goes on way too much these days where success is made on number of clicks and not integrity.  

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, PorkChopExpress said:

Seriously?  Free publicity?  He got plenty of publicity just playing baseball. If a reporter truly reported something known to be untrue and it damaged his reputation, I hope he succeeds in holding them accountable. That type of thing goes on way too much these days where success is made on number of clicks and not integrity.  

Previous post was sarcasm.

16 hours ago, PorkChopExpress said:

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant the media in general, not the specific person he sued. Imagine if his next suit is ESPN or MLB Network. 

Basically just kicking it down the road a little further. He's now in that John Rocker, Ozzie, Kaepernick* vein. No matter how talented he's going to cost you ticket sales, sponsors, and bring a ton of negative publicity to your team. Is it worth it? 

*If anyone wants to debate he doesn't belong linked to the others, I understand. He obviously has more fans than the others. I almost didn't list him. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Do they have any intention of him pitching another game? MLBPA I'm sure doesn't care since he is getting paid anyway and then there were reports that the Dodgers players didn't want him back.

Realistically they can only officially keep him out of baseball for so long.  Eventually they are going to have to make a decision.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Wow. I wish I wasn't, but I am surprised. I expected he'd be eligible around the trade deadline this year. I still don't see him ever playing again. If he loses the appeal does he retire? Japan? Independent ball?