Trevor Bauer receives 2 YEAR suspension from MLB

Kyyle23

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Wow. I wish I wasn't, but I am surprised. I expected he'd be eligible around the trade deadline this year. I still don't see him ever playing again. If he loses the appeal does he retire? Japan? Independent ball? 

Pretty sure any other professional leagues can't take him as long as he is under contract with MLB.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Holy crap!  Any word if that includes what he has already served or is this on top of it?

Marcell Ozuna got 20 games for choking and beating his wife.    This is a long fucking time and it rewards a hyper-rich organization that wants to wash its hands of its contract.  You know he is going to appeal.  

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Holy crap!  Any word if that includes what he has already served or is this on top of it?

Starting today. No time served since he was paid. 

should be interesting lawsuit. I think it might be hard for MLB to uphold this two year suspension. 

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

Marcell Ozuna got 20 games for choking and beating his wife.    This is a long fucking time and it rewards a hyper-rich organization that wants to wash its hands of its contract.  You know he is going to appeal.  

He has already said as much.

Just now, zenryan said:

Starting today. No time served since he was paid. 

should be interesting lawsuit. I think it might be hard for MLB to uphold this two year suspension. 

It's crazy.  I wonder if they are going to be willing to negotiate back at all?  I never imagined this.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Pretty sure any other professional leagues can't take him as long as he is under contract with MLB.

Good point. I'm also wondering what the Dodger's position really is? I could see them pushing for two years to avoid the publicity mess, but he's also a hell of a pitcher. :huh

33 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

I agree. This was doing the Dodgers a solid. They knew he would fight it, so it will be probably ultimately be decided by someone other than MLB. So it's a Manfred win.

34 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's crazy.  I wonder if they are going to be willing to negotiate back at all?  I never imagined this.

It will be interesting as this isn't a case where she didn't press charged. It us a case that the prosecutor said they didn't find enough evidence.  

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

It will be interesting as this isn't a case where she didn't press charged. It us a case that the prosecutor said they didn't find enough evidence.  

There is no harder case to prove than a domestic one.  100% the "victim" is going to be put on the stand and interrogated just as hard as the "defendant"  The conviction percentage here is ridiculously low for just that reason, and it scares DA's away from trying them.  But that doesn't mean that MLB didn't see enough evidence in their minds as it isn't the same burden of proof for them as it is in a courtroom.

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I agree. This was doing the Dodgers a solid. They knew he would fight it, so it will be probably ultimately be decided by someone other than MLB. So it's a Manfred win.

Also thinking about this, I am pretty sure the Dodgers still have to "pay" Bauer, but then the fine just covers his paycheck, and that goes to MLB into whatever fund they have it designated as.

16 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

There were guys that received zero games for doing the same.  At one time what a man did with his property was his business so beat your wife it's your business and she's your property. 

Times change. Punishments change. 

The Dodgers and baseball's problem is if he wins the appeal the protests and advertiser boycotts that would follow him playing would be more expensive than his contract. That's there biggest issue. It's not just a Dodger issue. I could see each team tossing in $2 mil and telling him to go away. 

Bauer is a POS, but I don't see a credible arbitrator upholding this ridiculous suspension length when compared to the length of prior MLB domestic violence suspensions. It's a negotiating starting point by the owners. The Dodgers will waive him and pay off for whatever games are left on his contract upon any reduction of the suspension. They have made it clear throughout this process they have no interest in him returning.

The two interesting scenarios at this juncture are what, if anything, with the MLBPA do to challenge this suspension, and whether another MLB team will take a chance after he is reinstated. Perhaps he'll sign with a Japanese or Korean team to stay sharp in the interim, not sure how open these leagues would be to signing him.

That's a really good point about it being a starting point for negotiations. This is splitting hairs but it's really not the owners, it's MLB. The Dodgers are an interested party. I'm not certain how much input the other team owners had, or should have had, in the decision. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

That's a really good point about it being a starting point for negotiations. This is splitting hairs but it's really not the owners, it's MLB. The Dodgers are an interested party. I'm not certain how much input the other team owners had, or should have had, in the decision. 

I agree this specific instance primarily impacts the Dodgers and the authority of the Commissioner's Office. That said, owners in general have an interest in testing the boundaries of escaping the terms of a "guaranteed" contract. Other MLB suspensions (performance enhancing and recreational drugs, on field actions such as fights and bean balls) were doled out in a narrow negotiated range between MLB and the MLBPA.

I don't believe the MLBPA intended for this wide range of discretion when they agreed to the Domestic Violence Policy. That said, it will be interesting as to whether the Union will join Bauer in actively fighting this, or it has agreed to the terms of the suspension, as it has done throughout the past several months of his fully paid suspension.  Public relations wise, it puts the union in a tight / bad PR spot to back Bauer, and puts the owners on the moral high ground.

There have been no public releases regarding the suspension by the MLBPA. Noted defenders of the MLBPA have tweeted in support of this suspension (see below).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I agree this specific instance primarily impacts the Dodgers and the authority of the Commissioner's Office. That said, owners in general have an interest in testing the boundaries of escaping the terms of a "guaranteed" contract. Other MLB suspensions (performance enhancing and recreational drugs, on field actions such as fights and bean balls) were doled out in a narrow negotiated range between MLB and the MLBPA.

I don't believe the MLBPA intended for this wide range of discretion when they agreed to the Domestic Violence Policy. That said, it will be interesting as to whether the Union will join Bauer in actively fighting this, or it has agreed to the terms of the suspension, as it has done throughout the past several months of his fully paid suspension.  Public relations wise, it puts the union in a tight / bad PR spot to back Bauer, and puts the owners on the moral high ground.

There have been no public releases regarding the suspension by the MLBPA. Noted defenders of the MLBPA have tweeted in support of this suspension (see below).

The union is in a tough position. In the most pejorative sense critics will ask is the union worried that future players who enjoy choking women unconscious will receive even longer suspensions? It's tough to find a path in to protect players from potential career ending suspensions without defending their actions. In this case someone who enjoys choking people unconscious. 

I think the two years makes more sense as a starting point for negotiations than what MLB believes will work.

Perhaps the union can make a statement that based on the CBA, union guidelines, etc they are required to offer the following assistance as they have with other players. We do not condone the behavior but etc etc etc 

The real possibility is he accidentally kills someone. Could you image this M Lol B presser? Hey we knew this guys gets off choking women unconscious, we thought he knew what he was doing, but he got a little carried away and this one died. We are confident it was consensual and the grand jury will not be pursuing charges. 

• 3 weeks later...