GT 7/3 White Sox @ Detroit Keuchel v. Skubal 3:10 PM CT

When I started the GT on the 2nd game of the 6/27 DH against Seattle the Sox had just lost the suspended game. Their lead over Cleveland in the Central had shrunk to 2 games . The Sox had lost 7 of their last 8.

Mercedes and Collins drove in all 7 runs and Luis Gonzalez made a perfect throw home to gun down a runner at the plate. Aaron Burr started the game and went 2 innings without giving up a hit. Not exactly the names we are used to seeing in the headlines lately.

We've witness a dramatic turn in the Sox fortunes from that point on led by some improbable names .

Gavin Sheets made his Sox debut in grand fashion in the next game. He had 2 hits and 2 RBI but that was just a preview. Andrew Vaughn had 2 hits in what would be the start of 4 games in a row with 2 hits and counting. Burr pitched 1.1 hitless innings. The Giolito/Donaldson controversy started and the Sox won 7-6.

6/30 The Sox hit 6 HR's led by Grandal with 2 and Sheets collected his 1st MLB HR. Vaughn had 2 hits again with a HR and 3 RBI. Brian Goodwin and Abreu also hit HR's. Final score 13-3 White Sox

7/1 Vaughn had his 3rd straight game with 2 hits. Brian Goodwin hit his 2nd HR (3rd of the season) in 2 games and a double. Sheets 1/3 with a double and RBI. Collins 2/3 , HR and 2 RBI. It also was the return of Kopech who pitched a scoreless inning in relief and got the win. Burr also pitched a scoreless inning. Sox sweep the Twins 8-5.

7/2 The debut of rookie Jake Burger with the Sox at 3rd base in place of the injured Moncada. Surprise! Another good debut. Jake went 2/4 with a fluke double and played a flawless 3rd base. Vaughn again with 2 hits , a double and a HR. Gavin Sheets hit a  3 run HR in the 9th. Eaton returned from injury and went 2/4 .Final 8-2 Sox over Tigers for their 5th win in a row. The victory extended the Sox lead over Cleveland in the Central to 6 games. It was 2 when I started the 1st GT.

It's been an exciting 5 wins to be sure and the most exciting time since the now departed Yerminator was eating his burger. It great to see Burger and Sheets step up and perhaps save the Front Office from selling them short.  It Takes A Team ! Enjoy today's game !

Let's Go !!

:gosox3::gosox2::gosoxretro::gosox4::gosox1:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• bmags pinned this topic
12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

When I started the GT on the 2nd game of the 6/27 DH against Seattle the Sox had just lost the suspended game. Their lead over Cleveland in the Central had shrunk to 2 games . The Sox had lost 7 of their last 8.

Mercedes and Collins drove in all 7 runs and Luis Gonzalez made a perfect throw home to gun down a runner at the plate. Aaron Burr started the game and went 2 innings without giving up a hit. Not exactly the names we are used to seeing in the headlines lately.

We've witness a dramatic turn in the Sox fortunes from that point on led by some improbable names .

Gavin Sheets made his Sox debut in grand fashion in the next game. He had 2 hits and 2 RBI but that was just a preview. Andrew Vaughn had 2 hits in what would be the start of 4 games in a row with 2 hits and counting. Burr pitched 1.1 hitless innings. The Giolito/Donaldson controversy started and the Sox won 7-6.

6/30 The Sox hit 6 HR's led by Grandal with 2 and Sheets collected his 1st MLB HR. Vaughn had 2 hits again with a HR and 3 RBI. Brian Goodwin and Abreu also hit HR's. Final score 13-3 White Sox

7/1 Vaughn had his 3rd straight game with 2 hits. Brian Goodwin hit his 2nd HR (3rd of the season) in 2 games and a double. Sheets 1/3 with a double and RBI. Collins 2/3 , HR and 2 RBI. It also was the return of Kopech who pitched a scoreless inning in relief and got the win. Burr also pitched a scoreless inning. Sox sweep the Twins 8-5.

7/2 The debut of rookie Jake Burger with the Sox at 3rd base in place of the injured Moncada. Surprise! Another good debut. Jake went 2/4 with a fluke double and played a flawless 3rd base. Vaughn again with 2 hits , a double and a HR. Gavin Sheets hit a  3 run HR in the 9th. Eaton returned from injury and went 2/4 .Final 8-2 Sox over Tigers for their 5th win in a row. The victory extended the Sox lead over Cleveland in the Central to 6 games. It was 2 when I started the 1st GT.

It's been an exciting 5 wins to be sure and the most exciting time since the now departed Yerminator was eating his burger. It great to see Burger and Sheets step up and perhaps save the Front Office from selling them short.  It Takes A Team ! Enjoy today's game !

Let's Go !!

:gosox3::gosox2::gosoxretro::gosox4::gosox1:

My thoughts exactly.  There was a good chance they would trade one or both of them for way too cheaply.  Now, not so much.

34 minutes ago, oldsox said:

My thoughts exactly.  There was a good chance they would trade one or both of them for way too cheaply.  Now, not so much.

Maybe we keep them now?  

Yoan is my favorite player ( I always fall for the 3rd baseman), but he cannot stay healthy.  

Burger could play the Lamb role on this team next year, giving Yoan a couple games off every week.

Sheets is clearly a future MVP. 

Facing a lefty with 3 switch hitters unavailable but not on the IL.  I predict:

1. Anderson, ss 2. Hamilton, cf 3. Abreu, 1b 4. Vaughn, lf 5. Goodwin, rf 6. Burger, 3b 7. Sheets, dh 8. Mendick, 2b 9. Collins, c.  Although it could be Eaton instead of either Goodwin or Sheets.  Not a lot of options for TLR.

3 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

1. Anderson, ss 2. Hamilton, cf 3. Abreu, 1b 4. Vaughn, lf 5. Goodwin, rf 6. Burger, 3b 7. Sheets, dh 8. Mendick, 2b 9. Collins, c.  Although it could be Eaton instead of either Goodwin or Sheets.  Not a lot of options for TLR.

Do we know Garcia is definitely out today too? If not I’d stick him in RF.

38 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Billy might finally get a start in CF today. I was getting pretty tired of Goodwin's awful routes in CF. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

TLR will dab on you by the end of the game.......LOL.

NO, I dont like Leury 5th either but TLR seems to push right buttons 

With injuries, not much you can do really. 

Probably would have had Garcia-Hamilton-Mendick 7-8-9 and moved everyone else up but I don't think it is that big of a difference 

31 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Yes Garcia hitting 5th, very ideal lol

Who would you prefer hit 5th?  Maybe Collins?  It’s not like we have a plethora of proven middle of the lineup guys available at the moment.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

How long are we going to debate TLR lineup construction.  After cookie cutter Renteria maybe this stuff works. 

Injury has really limited his options and nothing is ideal right now, but lets not pretend like there haven't been some dreadful performances too.  

1 hour ago, 2Deep said:

Line up is out and I like it........

TA

SHEETS 1b

Jose dh

Andrew lf

Leury rf

Burger 3b

Billy cf

Collins c

Mendick 2b

Solid, glad to see both Billy and Leury in the lineup, optimal defensively with players available. Also like Jose taking a break in the field, not sure how Sheets is there, but Jose and Tim need days off too.

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

How long are we going to debate TLR lineup construction.  After cookie cutter Renteria maybe this stuff works. 

You take a shot at Ricky who had an awesome lineup that scored a fuck-ton? Yeah guys are hurt this year but weird jab about last year’s team.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

So Grandal is the backup catcher but it's an emergency only situation? That doesn't sound ideal.

That doesn't sound bad. That means he should be back within a couple days. 

If you mean it's not good that we have 1 catcher, I agree. 

Edited by ron883