White Sox @ Tigers - 7/4/21- Game Thread

soxfan49

24 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Wish we could sticky posts. Sox just gave us no excuse to not enjoy the 4th doing something else lol

The last two games haven't just been bad. This team has played poorly in 4 of the last 5 series. 

Houston- Trash

Pittsburgh- Ass

Seattle- Trash two of the games

Minnesota- Looked great

Detroit- Trash two of the games

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I guess I’m not really too bothered by what I’m seeing since we are fielding such a AAA lineup right now. We will be a much better team when we get everyone back healthy. 

The big concern is our inconsistent starting pitching and poor bullpen. And of course the power outage with Tim, Jose,and Yoan. 

4 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I guess I’m not really too bothered by what I’m seeing since we are fielding such a AAA lineup right now. We will be a much better team when we get everyone back healthy. 

not to mention Detroit is throwing a new pitcher out every 1-2 innings, with some guys we haven't even faced yet.  plus the Sox aren't great on the road, and like you said we are missing most of our starters

only concern is the starting pitching, Lucas has been meh all year, same with Keuchel

Edited by joesaiditstrue

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

The big concern is our inconsistent starting pitching and poor bullpen. And of course the power outage with Tim, Jose,and Yoan. 

I guess so. All rotations go through a stretch like this. The bullpen might be fixable by acquisition. Yes, these are all valid concerns -  but we did a 98 win clip for the first half of the season with many starters out and despite the power outage from some of those guys. 

The strangest thing to me right now is reading knee jerk reactions on a daily basis here. It’s seems like the goalposts of everyone’s expectations of this team have just moved in such an irrational direction over the course of this year. Did anyone really have this team competing for a World Series after Eloy went down? How about even before he went down? I seem to remember a lot of folks were in the “not this year camp”, or thinking we were an 80 something win team. 

Yet it seems like simultaneously everyone now thinks we are this established WS contender but also feels that once we have a bad stretch of a few games it’s time to jump straight off a bridge. Why? 

To take it one step further, I wonder - does only one team have a great year, the eventual World Series winner? Or is it possible that the White Sox are having a very good year but maybe don’t win the World Series, but still win 95 games and still go deep in the playoffs. Is that acceptable, or do 29 teams disappoint every season?

I suppose what I’m saying is that all things considered this team has been very good and resilient this year and I wish I felt like the board had more faith in it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I guess so. All rotations go through a stretch like this. The bullpen might be fixable by acquisition. Yes, these are all valid concerns -  but we did a 98 win clip for the first half of the season with many starters out and despite the power outage from some of those guys. 

The strangest thing to me right now is reading knee jerk reactions on a daily basis here. It’s seems like the goalposts of everyone’s expectations of this team have just moved in such an irrational direction over the course of this year. Did anyone really have this team competing for a World Series after Eloy went down? How about even before he went down? I seem to remember a lot of folks were in the “not this year camp”, or thinking we were an 80 something win team. 

Yet it seems like simultaneously everyone now thinks we are this established WS contender but also feels that once we have a bad stretch of a few games it’s time to jump straight off a bridge. Why? 

To take it one step further, I wonder - does only one team have a great year, the eventual World Series winner? Or is it possible that the White Sox are having a very good year but maybe don’t win the World Series, but still win 95 games and still go deep in the playoffs. Is that acceptable, or do 29 teams disappoint every season?

I suppose what I’m saying is that all things considered this team has been very good and resilient this year and I wish I felt like the board had more faith in it. 

It's not time to jump ship by any means. But the team must be honest with itself if it wants to win. SP regression was expected but the bullpen has been bad all year. We will win this division but the playoffs are the focus for me. I think there needs to be a few roster tweaks and a few lineup switches.