Trevor Story

soxfan49

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

How do we fit both Escobar & Story since according to Bob we’ve already acquired the former?

Don't forget Frazier and Reynolds. The Sox won't be able to field a Knights and Barons team on August 1 ;)

• Love 1

Story scares me a bit.  Obviously super talented, but he’s much better against LHP and then you’ve got the whole Coors factor that makes you question his road / home splits.  I’m fully aware of the hangover effect, but a 86 wRC+ on the road against RHP is a red flag.  I’d still be down to acquire him, but you’d think he’d be one of the more costly rentals out there.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Story is hitting .184 away from Coors this year. No thanks. 

You're 100% correct but we heard that about Arenado too and his OPS is above .820 for the Cards. Perhaps a change of scenery will do him good. No one on the Rockies is doing much of anything on the road this year

41 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Story scares me a bit.  Obviously super talented, but he’s much better against LHP and then you’ve got the whole Coors factor that makes you question his road / home splits.  I’m fully aware of the hangover effect, but a 86 wRC+ on the road against RHP is a red flag.  I’d still be down to acquire him, but you’d think he’d be one of the more costly rentals out there.

But this is still correct, story is amazing but honestly just not a good balance fit for our cws. 
much better fit is gallo

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Stop with the outdated “away from coors” logic. Its flat out lazy and wrong. 

7 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

You're 100% correct but we heard that about Arenado too and his OPS is above .820 for the Cards. Perhaps a change of scenery will do him good. No one on the Rockies is doing much of anything on the road this year

He was a .900+ OPS guy in Colorado. If going away from Coors means a 100 point drop on your OPS, Story would be a high 700s OPS hitter and that's assuming he hits like he did in years past. Because he hasn't been good this year. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chw42 said:

He was a .900+ OPS guy in Colorado. If going away from Coors means a 100 point drop on your OPS, Story would be a high 700s OPS hitter and that's assuming he hits like he did in years past. Because he hasn't been good this year. 

He’s 30 now, much better than last year in coots, and offense is down across league compared to 2019. 

Story likely has more homers playing in Chicago.

5 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Rabbit mentioned it first so I’ll let it have legs.

Yeah, he had this out 3 days ago, I think. Suggested Story at 2B and a reliever as our moves to make. This is my preference as I buy his thought process of the Colorado owners more concerned about getting that contract off the books that could really discount the names we have to send in return.

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

What's interesting about a possible Story acquisition is that he's a better defensive SS than TA. There's no way we move TA to 2B...right?

No because TA would still be with the team next year. Story would be huge. He is off to a slow start for him, so history suggests he  could have a huge second half.

TA has a ton more range than Story and a stronger arm. Unless Story showed while he was here that he was far better than TA, he’d play 2b. Good insurance for an injury to TA as well. Buy low candidate with a huge upside. 

No way a Story deal happens.

COL expects to both replace and upgrade over the value of the draft pick they will get after offering a QO with Story rejecting it *and* they will expect to take the deal of the highest bidder/best centerpiece most likely among bidders.  On the Sox side (and everyone else's side) there is the fact that a midseason deal eliminates the possibility of offering the QO and recouping a draft pick, so there's no second year or any compensation when he leaves in FA.

So in essence Story costs a shit ton more than someone like Escobar and Schoop and probably similar to Frasier or maybe a tad less but then there's no second season.

So no.  It's not happening.  Unless the Sox are willing to take on a bunch of money along with it in a package deal ie Blackmon which again means no.

IMO Ketel Marte is a more realistic target than Story.

My opinion is we'll get Escobar or maybe someone like Schoop who won't or can't get a QO and is merely a rental.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think that eventually he will be a good hitter all around on another team playing in a different park, but I don't want him to have to make the adjustment with us ie I don't want the Sox to be the ones to have to eat the losses of any adjustment period.  That kind of defeats the purpose.  Also the price would be too high and would be a poor utilization of trade resources given the fact that we are at the front end of our contention window instead of say at the back end of a contention window.

• Like 1

I'd hate for the Sox to trade anything meaningful for a guy who would be playing out of position for less than half a season, and then walk. I'm all for it if they feel like taking on his salary, and sending nothing significant in return for it. I don't think the Rockies are going to be asking for nothing of significance, though...

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft
  • Like 1

Ya kinda gotta dangle the hook all over the lake and see what’s best to reel in relative to cost. Escobar, Frazier, Story, and who knows who else. You gotta test the waters on anyone who could conceivably make sense. Story seems like a stretch to me, but maybe it makes the most sense in the end. We shall see.