Trevor Story

soxfan49

Rosenthal mentions sox as a potential suitor for Story, but then dismisses it.

I'd say none of the big writers have much on who sox are heavy on, which means they probably aren't heavy on anyone at the moment. Would expect deadline at this point (not going out on a limb there, I know.

https://theathletic.com/2714711/2021/07/19/rosenthal-the-10-most-intriguing-questions-of-the-2021-mlb-trade-deadline/?source=dailyemail&redirected=1

A team such as the White Sox could acquire Story to play second base, but it would seem odd for any club to land an above-average defender at short not to play short, and trade prospects in the process. So, barring an injury to another contender’s shortstop, it would not be a shock for the Rockies to keep Story, make him a qualifying offer and receive a compensation pick when he departs. That, after all, is how they landed Story in the first place — with the 45th pick as compensation for the loss of reliever Octavio Dotel in 2011.

40 minutes ago, bmags said:

Rosenthal mentions sox as a potential suitor for Story, but then dismisses it.

I'd say none of the big writers have much on who sox are heavy on, which means they probably aren't heavy on anyone at the moment. Would expect deadline at this point (not going out on a limb there, I know.

https://theathletic.com/2714711/2021/07/19/rosenthal-the-10-most-intriguing-questions-of-the-2021-mlb-trade-deadline/?source=dailyemail&redirected=1

A team such as the White Sox could acquire Story to play second base, but it would seem odd for any club to land an above-average defender at short not to play short, and trade prospects in the process. So, barring an injury to another contender’s shortstop, it would not be a shock for the Rockies to keep Story, make him a qualifying offer and receive a compensation pick when he departs. That, after all, is how they landed Story in the first place — with the 45th pick as compensation for the loss of reliever Octavio Dotel in 2011.

I think the Sox will make some moves but not until the deadline and they will be quiet about it. 

9 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I think the Sox will make some moves but not until the deadline and they will be quiet about it. 

I think the Sox roster as it is constructed is fine on the bottom end.  If they add, it will be meaningful.  They have a lot of mediocre players they can move around.  That doesn't help them.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think the Sox roster as it is constructed is fine on the bottom end.  If they add, it will be meaningful.  They have a lot of mediocre players they can move around.  That doesn't help them.

Who do you think they will acquire? I’m thinking Escobar and two relievers.

Edited by maloney.adam

10 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Who do you think they will acquire? I’m thinking Escobar and two relievers.

I am going to guess there is one big name that blows us away.  I do think we will add a 2B and at least one reliever, but I think we add someone that no one is really talking about.  No evidence, just a hunch.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am going to guess there is one big name that blows us away.  I do think we will add a 2B and at least one reliever, but I think we add someone that no one is really talking about.  No evidence, just a hunch.

Adding someone none of us are talking about would be a very RH move.  He has always played his cards close to the vest.

sorry for the ignorance here, but if we acquire any guy that their contract runs out this year ( escobar, bryant, story) and we dont resign them or make them a qualifying offer do we get a sandwich pick in the next draft? I am unsure how that all work and could use some insight from the members on this board.

1 minute ago, quickman said:

sorry for the ignorance here, but if we acquire any guy that their contract runs out this year ( escobar, bryant, story) and we dont resign them or make them a qualifying offer do we get a sandwich pick in the next draft? I am unsure how that all work and could use some insight from the members on this board.

You can't off the QO to a player you acquire mid-season so any rental the Sox trade for will come with no compensation when they lose them in the offseason.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, quickman said:

No. A player can no be offered a QO so the team doesn't get anything.

6 minutes ago, quickman said:

A player has to be on a teams roster an entire season to be able to give a qualifying offer.  They also can't have had one extended to them previously.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think Soxtalk has talked about everyone under the sun There are a lot of 2nd basemen becoming free agents but the best fit is Escobar, 2nd best if we stick to lefties is Brad Miller. Big name out there the Sox go for would be unSox like. You're thinking a starting pitcher I would guess. I don't think any free agent would blow us away unless it was Scherzer maybe Castellanos if he tells the Reds he's opting out . Big names require big bullets and big money which I don't see the Sox having much of either after the Lynn extension.

5 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

......he's striking out 23% of the time, the lowest percentage of his career....?

64 wrc+ vs rhp away from coors this season

And he's still owed ~$8MM for the rest of 2021

Yeah, I'd take Escobar instead.

Ya know, the switch-hitting, 2nd baseman who's already played here, and is only owed ~$3MM for the rest of the season?

That guy could help this roster that needs some help vs RHP more than story, while being more palatable to this frugal ownership, IMO. 

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

......he's striking out 23% of the time, the lowest percentage of his career....?

He went 3 for 4 (K's) yesterday; 4 for 4 two days ago..  36% for July (18 for 50).  Plus, his BA is down, and he's expensive.

He's a great pinch runner, however.

4 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Moncada struck out 3/4 times on Tuesday.  He sucks.

Not sure how we got into a comparison of Moncada and Story.  Okay, they both strike out a bit too much.  Moncada probably is a bit too fussy at the plate, whereas Story swings at just about anything and misses a lot.  Or he seems to, to me.  Moncada is younger and has what appears to be some very big years immediately ahead of him with the White Sox, whereas Story looks to be declining.  Both have great speed.  Story plays one position, and Anderson is already there and is the better player.  Story makes about $17.5 per year.  Expensive.  I just don't get why Story would be a good fit on White Sox, and this has nothing to do with Moncada, who I admire greatly.

5 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Not sure how we got into a comparison of Moncada and Story.  Okay, they both strike out a bit too much.  Moncada probably is a bit too fussy at the plate, whereas Story swings at just about anything and misses a lot.  Or he seems to, to me.  Moncada is younger and has what appears to be some very big years immediately ahead of him with the White Sox, whereas Story looks to be declining.  Both have great speed.  Story plays one position, and Anderson is already there and is the better player.  Story makes about $17.5 per year.  Expensive.  I just don't get why Story would be a good fit on White Sox, and this has nothing to do with Moncada, who I admire greatly.

I was making fun of you.. that was the point of that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/21/2021 at 7:29 AM, Two-Gun Pete said:

64 wrc+ vs rhp away from coors this season

And he's still owed ~$8MM for the rest of 2021

Yeah, I'd take Escobar instead.

Ya know, the switch-hitting, 2nd baseman who's already played here, and is only owed ~$3MM for the rest of the season?

That guy could help this roster that needs some help vs RHP more than story, while being more palatable to this frugal ownership, IMO. 

Cool story, but what does that have to do with someone calling Story a "strikeout machine" despite his pretty decent K% for a power hitter, and having his lowest K% of his career?

• Fire 1

7 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Cool story, but what does that have to do with someone calling Story a "strikeout machine" despite his pretty decent K% for a power hitter, and having his lowest K% of his career?

I didn't comment on the "strikeout machine" angle. My view is that the overwhelming majority of Rox leave Coors, and then suck out loud.

I remember just this past offseason how David fucking Dahl was going to be a golden god, and that the SOX should acquire him. Where's he now? Most MLBers leave the Rox, and either suck, or take some time to adjust from Coors after leaving Colorado.

Sure, the true stars like Arenado can prosper away from Coors. But Story ain't a star. Hes got a middling wrc+ v RHP, and he sucks out loud vs RHP (this team's Achilles Heel), and he's due a lot of cash for the rest of the season. FFS, Danny Mendick's splits v RHP ARE BETTER than Story's non-Coors splits v RHP.

Add into it the very real adjustment period of switching leagues on top of losing the Coors Field advantage, and I wouldn't want him here, unless it was for an absolute song.

Escobar's right now a better player, a switch hitter, with ALC experience, with OF experience, and would be cheaper in terms of salary to acquire. There isn't the very real question of Escobar having to adjust from Coors Field. Hes in every measurable way a superior acquisition to Story, full stop.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete