Trevor Story

soxfan49

Me, a genius who uses home/road splits from coors3244D818-1498-4AD5-A321-090592818FD3.png

How will he perform out of that dry Arizona air? Well his away splits vs *gasp** RHP are terrible.

Clearly that is what he will hit in GRF, since that is an away stadium from his baseline of “home”.

But…shoot that ALC experience would come in so handy. 

Tough call. I’ll leave it up to the genius level analysts.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Capital G said:

What were Aronados splits and how is he doing in STL?

well he's 50% better than last year offensively, but not near his peak, but what of that is st louis and what part is just natural decline?

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Me, a genius who uses home/road splits from coors3244D818-1498-4AD5-A321-090592818FD3.png

How will he perform out of that dry Arizona air? Well his away splits vs *gasp** RHP are terrible.

Clearly that is what he will hit in GRF, since that is an away stadium from his baseline of “home”.

But…shoot that ALC experience would come in so handy. 

Tough call. I’ll leave it up to the genius level analysts.

Relax. And there's no need to turn up the temperature while using the bolded.

That said, it's perfectly fair to look at Escobar's splits: 73 v RHP away from Arizona. But, they're better than Story's 64 vs RHP, or vomit-inducing 41 vs LHP away from Coors.  Oh yeah, and Story's inferior splits come with the additional ~$5MM or so in remaining salary, compared to Escobar's remaining salary.

For a budget-conscious ownership, $5MM could buy a RP in the offseason, or perhaps go towards part of a QO [if they'll still exist] this offseason. 

18 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I didn't comment on the "strikeout machine" angle. My view is that the overwhelming majority of Rox leave Coors, and then suck out loud.

I remember just this past offseason how David fucking Dahl was going to be a golden god, and that the SOX should acquire him. Where's he now? Most MLBers leave the Rox, and either suck, or take some time to adjust from Coors after leaving Colorado.

Sure, the true stars like Arenado can prosper away from Coors. But Story ain't a star. Hes got a middling wrc+ v RHP, and he sucks out loud vs RHP (this team's Achilles Heel), and he's due a lot of cash for the rest of the season. FFS, Danny Mendick's splits v RHP ARE BETTER than Story's non-Coors splits v RHP.

Add into it the very real adjustment period of switching leagues on top of losing the Coors Field advantage, and I wouldn't want him here, unless it was for an absolute song.

Escobar's right now a better player, a switch hitter, with ALC experience, with OF experience, and would be cheaper in terms of salary to acquire. There isn't the very real question of Escobar having to adjust from Coors Field. Hes in every measurable way a superior acquisition to Story, full stop.

...... right....so anyway, Trevor Story doesn't strike out a lot..... 🤦

Another aspect of Story being acquired to play 2b despite not having played it in the majors is how often he plays out of positon at SS for shifts. A SS like Story often plays near second base and towards the right side of the IF. 

If the Sox are going to add an IF, I like his athleticism, power, and hard contact. While Escobar has had a better 1st half, Story is likely to improve and Escobar is likely to see some regression. 

30 minutes ago, bmags said:

We may not get much Sox rumors, but we are so lucky to get every minor development of every Yankees or mets move

Lol very true...at this point any rumor involving a potential target of ours is highly interesting to me as there is literally nothing else out there.

Story has a terrible ops over the last month of .579.   I would bet no one is offering better than what the qualifying offer might bring so they might keep him.  Heck if he finishes like this you may not give qualifying offer for fear he takes it.

4 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

Story has a terrible ops over the last month of .579.   I would bet no one is offering better than what the qualifying offer might bring so they might keep him.  Heck if he finishes like this you may not give qualifying offer for fear he takes it.

You absolutely give him the QO.  He's been a great baseball player for 5 years