Rodon, Lynn, Hendriks, Anderson all stars

southsider2k5

5 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Ohtani starting pitcher for AL. Rodon and Lynn get screwed.

Scherzer starting for NL.

Ohtani will bring in tons more fan interest. All I care about in terms of the game are if any are inserted, they are in and out ASAP and do not get hurt. I stopped watching the All Star game as a child, not sure how anyone can sit through it. Selig had to come up with a gimmick  "This time it counts" to counteract complete lack of interest and his idiotic photo. Hell, they have trouble enough getting anyone to watch the most important games unless the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox or Cubs are involved. That's what happens when you run the sport like a cigarette manufacturer, hoping to suck whatever  money is left before you kill your customers.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Ohtani will bring in tons more fan interest. All I care about in terms of the game are if any are inserted, they are in and out ASAP and do not get hurt. I stopped watching the All Star game as a child, not sure how anyone can sit through it. Selig had to come up with a gimmick  "This time it counts" to counteract complete lack of interest and his idiotic photo. Hell, they have trouble enough getting anyone to watch the most important games unless the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox or Cubs are involved. That's what happens when you run the sport like a cigarette manufacturer, hoping to suck whatever  money is left before you kill your customers.

Being the starting pitcher in the All-Star game is something you earn as the best pitcher in your league. It's a title you get to carry the rest of your life, and who knows if Lynn or Rodon will get another chance.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Ohtani starting pitcher for AL. Rodon and Lynn get screwed.

Scherzer starting for NL.

I want to see Shohei Ohtani start the game after he hits a nuke in the 1st more than I want to see Rodon or Lynn pitch at all. 

The guy is doing stuff none of us have ever seen, the league needs to push this to the forefront as much as possible, because lord knows the Angels won't

Edited by mqr
  • Like 2

Let's be honest here, now that the ASG is literally meaningless, why not let Ohtani start?  Sure there are guys who have been better, but is Carlos Rodon really going to get millions of extra people tuning into the game?  With no value on this game, the entire value becomes selling MLB to the rest of the world and the broadest audience possible.  I imagine Rodon and Lynn understand that pretty well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Ohtani doesn't even qualify for pitching stats yet this season, having not even pitching 70 innings this season.  His ERA, if qualified, would be 12th in the AL, and he's carrying a 1.20 WHIP.  If I'm Rodon or Lynn, I'm livid.  

I’m sure they don’t care. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Being the starting pitcher in the All-Star game is something you earn as the best pitcher in your league. It's a title you get to carry the rest of your life, and who knows if Lynn or Rodon will get another chance.

No. The Cy Young is earned based on being the best pitcher of the league. It’s based on an entire season.

If Lynn or Rodon started this weekend, or were injured and did not play or even attend the ASG, it has no barring on their first half accomplishments. They get paid any contract incentives for being named.

The fact that there was such widespread player and fan apathy forced the owners to first make it “count”, and then when that didn’t work, inserted a clause in the CBA ordering elected and name players to attend the game or get permission to bail on it. LOL. The NHL takes a game payment from players for skipping, the MLBPA is too strong for that BS.

All sports should cancel the game. I guess a Spring Training version (have two games, a FLA and AZ game) would be fine, since it’s nothing but a glorified exhibition game. It could be the Daytona 500 of Spring Training to kick off games.

Otherwise, Hard Pass. Don’t get hurt and too bad you can’t get the much needed rest like your teammates, hope you have a contract bonus to compensate for your inconvenience.

8 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

They're highly competitive professional athletes....of course they care.  They may not b**** to the media but there's no way they "don't care".  

I can MAYBE give you Carlos, but I highly doubt Lynn gives a fuck. He’d probably rather have the time off and drinking some cold ones.

37 minutes ago, mqr said:

I want to see Shohei Ohtani start the game after he hits a nuke in the 1st more than I want to see Rodon or Lynn pitch at all. 

The guy is doing stuff none of us have ever seen, the league needs to push this to the forefront as much as possible, because lord knows the Angels won't

Hard disagree here from me. and the players, the Sox players, absolutely do care (responding to the person who said they don't care).

“I mean, half the innings as anybody else, to start the game is probably not the best [choice] among the players,” Lynn told the Sun-Times. “There are quite a few people who’ve had better first halves, for sure.”

• Like 1

Just now, ShoeLessRob said:

I can MAYBE give you Carlos, but I highly doubt Lynn gives a fuck. He’d probably rather have the time off and drinking some cold ones.

“I mean, half the innings as anybody else, to start the game is probably not the best [choice] among the players,” Lynn told the Sun-Times. “There are quite a few people who’ve had better first halves, for sure.”

Lynn absolutely cares; he cared enough to say something about it before it was named.

“I’ll put my name in the hat, for sure,” Lynn said.

These guys want to earn the accolade. I hate giving it to Ohtani just because it's a good journalistic story. Journalists are fawning over it. The guy arguably didn't even earn a spot on the team as a pitcher int he first place.

1 minute ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Stoney was just on Twitter this morning mentioning that his start in the '80 ASG was one of his top career highlights and how much he hoped Lynn or Rodon would get to experience the same honor.  

Ohtani didn't earn the start, but Manfred gonna Manfred.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Hard disagree here from me. and the players, the Sox players, absolutely do care (responding to the person who said they don't care).

I didn't say they don't care, I said that I don't

2 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Stoney was just on Twitter this morning mentioning that his start in the '80 ASG was one of his top career highlights and how much he hoped Lynn or Rodon would get to experience the same honor.  

Ohtani didn't earn the start, but Manfred gonna Manfred.

This was Cash, not Manfred.

Have to wonder if Cash would have done this if Glasnow was healthy.

Just now, mqr said:

I didn't say they don't care, I said that I don't

I know, that's why I noted I was responding to another poster and not you.

I'd already argue Ohtani didn't earn the All-Star collection as a pitcher in the first place. I get your point of bringing eyes to the event but I just have my doubts.