The Grandal will come out tomorrow, you can bet your bottom dollar

Buehrle>Wood

1 hour ago, Vulture said:

If the majority of engineers designed bridges that collapse, I still wouldn’t hire an engineer who designs bridges that collapse. Injuries up league wide but Sox seem to be among the league leaders. Is it a coincidence the guys like Engel, Robert and Grandal for example, are also the guys built like tanks, like they’re doing max reps all day. You can’t make a tendon stronger. At some point there is too much muscle for the tendon to handle. Performing whip like movements repeatedly at max muscle mass is going to result in increased injuries to tissues. One of the reasons you don’t typically see quarterbacks and tennis players built like linebackers i’d think. I dont think there’s much of a mystery here as people are making out. I could be wrong but to me it seems obvious. 

You can make tendons stronger. Similar to all tissues like muscle and bones they hypertrohphy when placed under graduated stress. This is the process for rehab for someone like Jimenez after re-attaching to tendons. It also works in healthy subjects. All tissues can increase in tensile strength. The only time there is too much muscle for the tendon is in abnormal muscle growth as in PEDS. Now injuries occur when the external forces are greater then the internal structures ability to absorb it. In most cases the tendon has been weakened by a previous injury and has progressed from tendinitis to tendinopathy where the is a cellular breakdown of the tendon. The tendon can be built back up through proper rehab.

Unfortunately, it is nowhere near as simplistic as you make it. With your bridge someone built it from material that can ba easily made and examined and be replaced quite easily. The human body has many tissue that can't be replicated, seen nor easily examined. Working with players in this case is a lot of educated guessing due to these factors. We are getting better at the science but it really is still the practice of medicine.

Another factor to consider is that since it really is a league wide issue, if you fire the staff, who will you hire? Everyone will be fired and there aren't enough experienced professionals to go around.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

You can make tendons stronger. Similar to all tissues like muscle and bones they hypertrohphy when placed under graduated stress. This is the process for rehab for someone like Jimenez after re-attaching to tendons. It also works in healthy subjects. All tissues can increase in tensile strength. The only time there is too much muscle for the tendon is in abnormal muscle growth as in PEDS. Now injuries occur when the external forces are greater then the internal structures ability to absorb it. In most cases the tendon has been weakened by a previous injury and has progressed from tendinitis to tendinopathy where the is a cellular breakdown of the tendon. The tendon can be built back up through proper rehab.

Unfortunately, it is nowhere near as simplistic as you make it. With your bridge someone built it from material that can ba easily made and examined and be replaced quite easily. The human body has many tissue that can't be replicated, seen nor easily examined. Working with players in this case is a lot of educated guessing due to these factors. We are getting better at the science but it really is still the practice of medicine.

Another factor to consider is that since it really is a league wide issue, if you fire the staff, who will you hire? Everyone will be fired and there aren't enough experienced professionals to go around.

They'll hire you, Mr. PTATC. Your services are needed to save the White Sox.

58 minutes ago, Vulture said:

GettyImages-1267341251-1-1024x683.jpg

Check out Brady’s arm. This isn’t even close to maxed out muscle mass. Lean and wiry. Imagine if he had been throwing with an arm built like Robert’s thigh. His arm would have been done 15+ years ago. That’s what you want in a baseball player because the motions in baseball are similar whip type movements. 

The vast majority of a throw in any sport comes from the lower extremity transferring force through the trunk to the upper body. Arm strength and build has very little to do with it. Arm muscle strength and velocity of throwing have minimal correlation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vulture said:

If the majority of engineers designed bridges that collapse, I still wouldn’t hire an engineer who designs bridges that collapse. Injuries up league wide but Sox seem to be among the league leaders. Is it a coincidence the guys like Engel, Robert and Grandal for example, are also the guys built like tanks, like they’re doing max reps all day. You can’t make a tendon stronger. At some point there is too much muscle for the tendon to handle. Performing whip like movements repeatedly at max muscle mass is going to result in increased injuries to tissues. One of the reasons you don’t typically see quarterbacks and tennis players built like linebackers i’d think. I dont think there’s much of a mystery here as people are making out. I could be wrong but to me it seems obvious. 

We're comparing steel reinforced bridges to muscles, tendons, and ligaments now? Cmon. 

9 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

are the only remnants from 2005 the training staff or are there zero staff left over?  outside of KW 

The athletic training staff is quite a bit different. The strength and conditioning staff is similar though.

4 minutes ago, ron883 said:

They'll hire you, Mr. PTATC. Your services are needed to save the White Sox.

No thanks. Did my time there. I realize I can't call it grueling but life in the MLB schedule sucks.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

No thanks. Did my time there. I realize I can't call it grueling but life in the MLB schedule sucks.

Not only that, the job is like the weatherman being blamed because it’s too hot or too cold. Moncada dives awkwardly hurts his hand, fire the trainer.

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The athletic training staff is quite a bit different. The strength and conditioning staff is similar though.

Just with my own experiences with rush orthopedics I find their doctors/ surgeons to be of top quality and have done a terrific job with me, that said the rehab people come and go and it’s hard to get stability. Athletes are being looked at daily and they also have these guys around them all the time. You would imagine they have the highest quality of people helping them. 

23 minutes ago, quickman said:

I would clarify my point that we don’t want to give away the pieces that the cubs would want. In addition I think the angst gets intensified because it’s cubs / Sox . Cubs are still pissed off from the Quinntanna trade.

No doubt and one reason they were quick to characterize Eloy as strictly a DH to minimize his perceived value as soon as he sustained the freak injury this year.

4 minutes ago, flavum said:

I feel like they don’t want to announce anything until they know they’re playing tonight. But the clock is ticking. 

Yeah, that $3000 they would have to pay Zavala for being on the roster today can be saved to make a big acquisition at the trade deadline.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Not only that, the job is like the weatherman being blamed because it’s too hot or too cold. Moncada dives awkwardly hurts his hand, fire the trainer.

In reality the teams know this. Rarely do things like this get people fired. It's usually a change of FO wants to bring in their own people. I only know of someone getting fired for one incident. A friend of mine was the trainer for the Blue Jays during the WS run in the 90's. Ricky henderson fouled a ball off his foot in a game. The trainer had him stand on an ice pack then something else happened and he had to leave for awhile. Ricky stood on the ice pack for over an hour and got ice burns on his foot and couldn't play well. not good.

Edited by ptatc

• Heads22 changed the title to Grandal tears tendon in left knee, Zavala called up