The Grandal will come out tomorrow, you can bet your bottom dollar

Buehrle>Wood

Just now, ptatc said:

I agree. I don't think they will bring him back until he is ready to catch.

I for sure think he will get more time off from catching the rest of the year to hopefully make sure he is healthy and ready for the playoffs. Wouldn't surprise to see him catch 3 out 7 games and DH/1B 2 of the other games.

Just now, BigHurt3515 said:

I for sure think he will get more time off from catching the rest of the year to hopefully make sure he is healthy and ready for the playoffs. Wouldn't surprise to see him catch 3 out 7 games and DH/1B 2 of the other games.

Yep. A decreased load.  But he shouldn't come back and not be able to play catcher.

14 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Lucroy is available. Why have we not signed him yet. Hard to cut someone else, but he seems  tailor made right now over Zabala

Personally, while I know Zavala cannot hit much - his defense, and game calling has looked pretty good. And the pitchers seem to like him, based on their game interactions with him. He is energetic, and sure seems to act far more like a veteran than a guy who has played a handful of MLB games. I think he is a sufficient place holder for now. And, as I recall Lucroy asked to be released by the Sox. Not sure why he would want to come back, with Grandal getting closer to a return.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mokena94 said:

Personally, while I know Zavala cannot hit much - his defense, and game calling has looked pretty good. And the pitchers seem to like him, based on their game interactions with him. He is energetic, and sure seems to act far more like a veteran than a guy who has played a handful of MLB games. I think he is a sufficient place holder for now. And, as I recall Lucroy asked to be released by the Sox. Not sure why he would want to come back, with Grandal getting closer to a return.

Lucroy saw the writing on the wall probably. Probably wanted an opportunity  to latch on to another team while he could.  But yeah, the numbers seem tough depending on how quick Grandal recovers. I would rather have him behind the plate under the microscope  pressure the team is under than a rookie.  Especially if he was needed in the post season.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

17 minutes ago, Mokena94 said:

Agreed on this front. And it's not like we're struggling to score runs either, and expect more offense once Eloy is back soon. While Zavala's swings a wet noodle at the plate, I don't see a pressing need to replace him just to get a few more hits.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Zevala is not a major league catcher. There is no shortage of better defensive catchers that can’t hit.

I cannot argue that there may be better out there, but I think he catches and calls a major league game. The thing I noticed most is how when he goes out to the mound the pitchers seems to really listen to and respect him. Throughout the whole season with injuries, the LaRussa stuff, the Mercedes issue, etc... the majority of the team has seemed super close. When all the decisions come down, I think you have to at least consider that factor. A guy like Eaton never seemed in that group, and I truly think that had a say in his release (and plus he was hitting awful). My point being, the players seem to like Zavala, and while they know when Grandal comes back, Zavala will be gone - bringing in Lucroy who at best could be a slight upgrade, doesn't seem to make sense to me. Just my opinion, and I respect any that don't agree - it's just baseball.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

Zevala is not a major league catcher. There is no shortage of better defensive catchers that can’t hit.

This. Shit the dude they signed in AAA already is probably better. Cool story and I hope Zavala is enjoying it while it lasts. 

Of the three starters Grandal regularly caught, Keuchel appears to be the most impacted to date.

In his last three starts with Grandal behind the plate, Dallas gave up 1 barrel in 65 batters faced.

In the four games since (three with Zavala), he has given up 7 in 95 batters faced.

Going in, I though Dylan would have the greatest impact, with Lance and Dallas not caring much. Dylan has pitched about the same, and Lance Lynn is as expected.

I expect the same rotation when Grandal is able to catch regularly (Lynn, Cease, Keuchel with Rodon and Lucas sticking with Collins). The wild cards are who works with Kopech if converted and whether Collins sticks with both in the playoffs (my hunch is Lucas only with Grandal at DH).

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 3:59 PM, MiddleCoastBias said:

Agreed on this front. And it's not like we're struggling to score runs either, and expect more offense once Eloy is back soon. While Zavala's swings a wet noodle at the plate, I don't see a pressing need to replace him just to get a few more hits.

At least there is no shock what he brings to the plate.