The Grandal will come out tomorrow, you can bet your bottom dollar

Buehrle>Wood

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

At this stage, I wonder if Zavala gets the send down for a few days.  You lose him for like 5 days, but you also save Collins option in case you need it down the road. Might also save him some trade value. 

Right now with a 3-man bench and thinking that Grandal is going to (likely) get some DH at bats, maybe they role with 3 catchers for what, a week?

edit: actually, less if he comes back for the Cubs series.

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Like 1

I’d be surprised if Grandal catches more than a game or two a week, the three catchers makes sense for the rest of the year. They will wait to September 1st plus for Hamilton, perhaps they will do the same for Leury and or Engel.

Hopefully Grandal is able to catch back to back night games at some point in September, test the injury and stamina before the playoffs, to keep the postseason roster at two catchers. You can swap out a catcher each series if something happens.

They may need to IL Lamb again and or make a hard decision about him and Goodwin, since there are four players out (Grandal, Engel, Hamilton, Garcia) and only three available September slots (2 for the 28 man roster plus a reliever (Wright)).

58 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I’d be surprised if Grandal catches more than a game or two a week, the three catchers makes sense for the rest of the year. They will wait to September 1st plus for Hamilton, perhaps they will do the same for Leury and or Engel.

Hopefully Grandal is able to catch back to back night games at some point in September, test the injury and stamina before the playoffs, to keep the postseason roster at two catchers. You can swap out a catcher each series if something happens.

They may need to IL Lamb again and or make a hard decision about him and Goodwin, since there are four players out (Grandal, Engel, Hamilton, Garcia) and only three available September slots (2 for the 28 man roster plus a reliever (Wright)).

It's close enough to the end of the season that you just DFA Lamb if you don't want him on the roster anymore.

55 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

If it's LaRussa's decision then why the fuck are we paying Hahn?

In all sports, coaches/ mangers have input on the roster.

If it works posters compliment the person they like, if it doesn't they blame the guy they don't like. 

In reality none of these decisions are made in a vacuum by a single person.  It is made by the group. 

I know people today love to blame a single person but that just isn't the way it works.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

As of today we are 7 full weeks into a 4-6 week injury where the guy was constantly said to be ahead of schedule.

And when he returns, it is likely he is a part time catcher, at least to start.

The perils of signing an old catcher, especially to a large contract, the largest in Sox history.

11 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The perils of signing an old catcher, especially to a large contract, the largest in Sox history.

I just don’t get why they had to feed BS to the public about his timeline. If they had said “we did the surgery and now we think it might be 8 weeks”, I wouldn’t be commenting on this. 

i think if we didn't have a 99.99% chance of winning the division he'd be closer to the 4-6 week time frame. Plus what is a 4-6 week timeline? until he's able to do baseball activities? play in a rehab game? be up with the sox? it's all relative. like it's been mentioned above it may be a situation where we're just trying to time out the expanded rosters for September 1. 

Also, give me Yermin and 2 catchers (so 2 catchers plus and emergency catcher) over Collins as my third catcher. One at least offers an upside of a bat. 

21 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

LOL - still on that Grandal hate train despite the fact its become so so so so abundantly clear the last 7 weeks how important he is to this team?  

On 7/7/2021 at 12:47 PM, Sleepy Harold said:

So maybe not 4-6 weeks anymore?

24 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I just don’t get why they had to feed BS to the public about his timeline. If they had said “we did the surgery and now we think it might be 8 weeks”, I wouldn’t be commenting on this. 

So they did issue this tweet AFTER the 4-6 week tweet, I just don't think they ever actually followed up with the next one about the new timetable.