The Grandal will come out tomorrow, you can bet your bottom dollar

Buehrle>Wood

3 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think it is pretty clear the Sox don't see Mercedes as a catcher at all. He can finish a game behind the plate when the backup gets hurt but that's about it, the Sox want no part of him catching. 

don't think the Sox want any part of him at all lol

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

This is not a rebuild but rather a plug the hole created by an unfortunate injury.  We all think we can limp along until Eloy and Robert return assuming this catcher situation doesn't become a black hole where games go to die.  At the very least we need a good defensive catcher.  I brought up the Contreras/Bryant idea as a way to deal with today's situation.  I don't agree with those who feel we don't have the pieces to get that deal done.

Plugging one hole is one thing. The Sox have more than one hole. Hahn certainly knows more than I do, but I don't have high hopes. If a decent deal comes down, good. I am not anticipating it.

13 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

So, if this is what it is (plantaris) is it even something that is fixed? Or is the time spent basically recuperating from the side effects of the tear?

It's a small thin tendon that runs along with the gastroc and the soleus. It has a muscle attachment above the condyle of the knee and runs down to the achilles tendon just like the others. Anatomically there is no real decision on what the small muscle does with the other bigger ones there. Clinically, it really hurts when it pops off but there is no functional loss without it. Sometimes it's used a a UCL replacement during Tommy John surgery if the patient doesn't have a palmaris longus which many don't. 

It' basically body spare parts.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Vulture said:

What tears off? 

It's usually the attachment of the muscle above the femoral condyle but it can be the attachment with the achilles. I'm guessing since they called it a tendon in the knee that it was the proximal part.

25 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

How do you go from a “calf injury” to a torn knee tendon. back of knee?

Plantaris tendon goes from back of knee all the way to the heel. Everything is interconnected in the musculoskeletal system anyway. If youre compensating for one source of pain, you’re going to be using other muscles in an abnormal fashion making whatever you’re using more susceptible. Considering he was playing on a bad knee from the beginning of the season, that’s a lot of compensating. It makes sense if playing with a bad knee the compensation would primarily occur in the other leg. Besides it was reported as “calf tightness”. If the tendon was already flaring up maybe it manifested as calf tightnessPlantaris_muscle_-_posterior_view.png

Edited by Vulture
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I tore the same tendon and was down less than a week. Went from not being able to put any weight on in to being completly fine. Of course, it was probably in a completely different spot.

Yep I've seen some back pretty quickly. I'm sure with a catcher they are going to be a little more conservative because of the way the knee and ankle need to bend when squatting. 

Of course this is all my guess as to what's going on based on the available information. It could be the politeus behind the knee but he would most likely be out longer and the calf issue doesn't make sense.

Edited by ptatc

6 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Does anybody know if Collins has an option left? I'm thinking if the Sox trade for Yadi that would only work if Collins can be sent down when Grandal returns.

Collins should have 1 minor league option remaining.