The Grandal will come out tomorrow, you can bet your bottom dollar

Buehrle>Wood

6 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yes, the updated prognosis, shifting from the initial timeline of 4-6 weeks to “return before the end of the regular season (before Oct 3)” indicates the initial timeline will be extended.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/white-sox-yasmani-grandal-has-surgery-torn-tendon-knee

One concern is lack of minor league games should this be pushed out past the end of the AAA season.

AAA plays games until 9/19 this year

7 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yes, the updated prognosis, shifting from the initial timeline of 4-6 weeks to “return before the end of the regular season (before Oct 3)” indicates the initial timeline will be extended.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/white-sox-yasmani-grandal-has-surgery-torn-tendon-knee

One concern is lack of minor league games should this be pushed out past the end of the AAA season.

Makes much more sense if it was truly a repair.

15 hours ago, ron883 said:

Perfect, thanks. I have good posture as far as I know. Not a sloucher. 

It's a good idea to get into the habit while standing at learning to keep the abdomen muscles taut while breathing. If you are fit and not carrying extra belly fat it will benefit your back as long as you work on having a firm stomach and do your back exercises. An inversion table wouldn't be bad but that's a luxury for many.

There's no reason to doubt ptatc on this. He's always been the goods on this board. Robert Murray reported that Grandal was expected to be out 5 weeks. His source is very, very close to the situation. I've heard similar to the expectation being a 4-6 week timeline still. The White Sox are just being cautious as they have been with all of their injuries. We'll see what happens I suppose. 

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

There's no reason to doubt ptatc on this. He's always been the goods on this board. Robert Murray reported that Grandal was expected to be out 5 weeks. His source is very, very close to the situation. I've heard similar to the expectation being a 4-6 week timeline still. The White Sox are just being cautious as they have been with all of their injuries. We'll see what happens I suppose. 

It will be interesting to see. 5 weeks just isnt feasible for a full tendon repair. But as we all know press releases don't always tell the whole story and the procedure may have been different

I wonder if trainers like ptatc would temper expectations for a  rehab timetable based on anticipated stress and strain , i.e., a knee injury for a catcher who couches down and stands up 100+ times  each game. 

1 minute ago, tray said:

I wonder if trainers like ptatc would temper expectations for a  rehab timetable based on anticipated stress and strain , i.e., a knee injury for a catcher who couches down and stands up 100+ times  each game. 

As someone who is a complete laymen - I can still confidently say that is a reasonable expectation.

3 minutes ago, tray said:

They will work with the team physicians and then communicate this to the coaching staff. Who in turn will tell the FO. They will then send out the press release. Sometimes things change along the way. The trainers work under the physicians who have the ultimate say.

Edited by ptatc

Just now, tray said:

Thank you.

I edited the post to add the extra important step of the physician consult. Legally the physician has the ultimate say and if they did the surgery as in this case, the trainer probably didn't have much to say about it.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

But they literally rushed Engel and Yaz back causing the more severe injury; with Engel they repeatedly let him push too much too soon.

• Fire 1

22 hours ago, bmags said:

AAA plays games until 9/19 this year

Ok, so given that the re-injury occurred 7/6, 9/1 would put him at ~8-ish weeks out from the injury.

If his recovery goes well, perhaps he can join Charlotte around ~9/10, which can give him a week or so down there. Then, if that goes reasonably well, he can easily be back for the last 2 weeks of the regular season. All this team has to do is to stay afloat, while Grandal recovers. 

As an aside, if Jimenez rejoins the roster around the end of July, then Robert in August, and Grandal in September, that would be a big boost to this team's post season chances.

13 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Ok, so given that the re-injury occurred 7/6, 9/1 would put him at ~8-ish weeks out from the injury.

If his recovery goes well, perhaps he can join Charlotte around ~9/10, which can give him a week or so down there. Then, if that goes reasonably well, he can easily be back for the last 2 weeks of the regular season. All this team has to do is to stay afloat, while Grandal recovers. 

As an aside, if Jimenez rejoins the roster around the end of July, then Robert in August, and Grandal in September, that would be a big boost to this team's post season chances.

Not to mention the likelihood of at least one affiliate being in post-season play, extending by at least a week the possible number of games for someone in rehab.