Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Buehrle>Wood

The Grandal will come out tomorrow, you can bet your bottom dollar

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

When Grandal comes back from rehab, will he be catching right away or will it be more of a DH/1B/Off the bench late type of deal?

If he can't catch, then he's not ready to come back. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lucroy is available. Why have we not signed him yet. Hard to cut someone else, but he seems  tailor made right now over Zabala

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If he can't catch, then he's not ready to come back. 

I agree. I don't think they will bring him back until he is ready to catch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ptatc said:

I agree. I don't think they will bring him back until he is ready to catch.

I for sure think he will get more time off from catching the rest of the year to hopefully make sure he is healthy and ready for the playoffs. Wouldn't surprise to see him catch 3 out 7 games and DH/1B 2 of the other games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Lucroy is available. Why have we not signed him yet. Hard to cut someone else, but he seems  tailor made right now over Zabala

There is a 10 day window for his status to get sorted out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BigHurt3515 said:

I for sure think he will get more time off from catching the rest of the year to hopefully make sure he is healthy and ready for the playoffs. Wouldn't surprise to see him catch 3 out 7 games and DH/1B 2 of the other games.

Yep. A decreased load.  But he shouldn't come back and not be able to play catcher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Lucroy is available. Why have we not signed him yet. Hard to cut someone else, but he seems  tailor made right now over Zabala

Personally, while I know Zavala cannot hit much - his defense, and game calling has looked pretty good. And the pitchers seem to like him, based on their game interactions with him. He is energetic, and sure seems to act far more like a veteran than a guy who has played a handful of MLB games. I think he is a sufficient place holder for now. And, as I recall Lucroy asked to be released by the Sox. Not sure why he would want to come back, with Grandal getting closer to a return.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Mokena94 said:

Personally, while I know Zavala cannot hit much - his defense, and game calling has looked pretty good. And the pitchers seem to like him, based on their game interactions with him. He is energetic, and sure seems to act far more like a veteran than a guy who has played a handful of MLB games. I think he is a sufficient place holder for now. And, as I recall Lucroy asked to be released by the Sox. Not sure why he would want to come back, with Grandal getting closer to a return.

Lucroy saw the writing on the wall probably. Probably wanted an opportunity  to latch on to another team while he could.  But yeah, the numbers seem tough depending on how quick Grandal recovers. I would rather have him behind the plate under the microscope  pressure the team is under than a rookie.  Especially if he was needed in the post season.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mokena94 said:

Personally, while I know Zavala cannot hit much - his defense, and game calling has looked pretty good. And the pitchers seem to like him, based on their game interactions with him. He is energetic, and sure seems to act far more like a veteran than a guy who has played a handful of MLB games. I think he is a sufficient place holder for now. And, as I recall Lucroy asked to be released by the Sox. Not sure why he would want to come back, with Grandal getting closer to a return.

Agreed on this front. And it's not like we're struggling to score runs either, and expect more offense once Eloy is back soon. While Zavala's swings a wet noodle at the plate, I don't see a pressing need to replace him just to get a few more hits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zevala is not a major league catcher. There is no shortage of better defensive catchers that can’t hit.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Zevala is not a major league catcher. There is no shortage of better defensive catchers that can’t hit.

I cannot argue that there may be better out there, but I think he catches and calls a major league game. The thing I noticed most is how when he goes out to the mound the pitchers seems to really listen to and respect him. Throughout the whole season with injuries, the LaRussa stuff, the Mercedes issue, etc... the majority of the team has seemed super close. When all the decisions come down, I think you have to at least consider that factor. A guy like Eaton never seemed in that group, and I truly think that had a say in his release (and plus he was hitting awful). My point being, the players seem to like Zavala, and while they know when Grandal comes back, Zavala will be gone - bringing in Lucroy who at best could be a slight upgrade, doesn't seem to make sense to me. Just my opinion, and I respect any that don't agree - it's just baseball.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, bmags said:

Zevala is not a major league catcher. There is no shortage of better defensive catchers that can’t hit.

This. Shit the dude they signed in AAA already is probably better. Cool story and I hope Zavala is enjoying it while it lasts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bmags said:

Zevala is not a major league catcher. There is no shortage of better defensive catchers that can’t hit.

Zevala being on a major league roster would beg to differ haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

 

🤔

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

Edited by Tnetennba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of the three starters Grandal regularly caught, Keuchel appears to be the most impacted to date.

In his last three starts with Grandal behind the plate, Dallas gave up 1 barrel in 65 batters faced.

In the four games since (three with Zavala), he has given up 7 in 95 batters faced.

Going in, I though Dylan would have the greatest impact, with Lance and Dallas not caring much. Dylan has pitched about the same, and Lance Lynn is as expected.

I expect the same rotation when Grandal is able to catch regularly (Lynn, Cease, Keuchel with Rodon and Lucas sticking with Collins). The wild cards are who works with Kopech if converted and whether Collins sticks with both in the playoffs (my hunch is Lucas only with Grandal at DH).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2021 at 12:04 PM, SoxBlanco said:

Here it is embedded:

 

That's about how hard he runs to first base anyway, looks like he's back to normal 😆

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2021 at 3:59 PM, MiddleCoastBias said:

Agreed on this front. And it's not like we're struggling to score runs either, and expect more offense once Eloy is back soon. While Zavala's swings a wet noodle at the plate, I don't see a pressing need to replace him just to get a few more hits.

At least there is no shock what he brings to the plate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what is now important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, as of today it is 4 weeks since he suffered a 4-6 week injury, and we were told he was ahead of schedule, so I assume he’s at least starting a rehab stint?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So.......when is Yaz starting a rehab assignment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So.......when is Yaz starting a rehab assignment?

tomorrow supposedly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, DannyWright said:

tomorrow supposedly

Where did you see this?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×