The Grandal will come out tomorrow, you can bet your bottom dollar

Buehrle>Wood

1 hour ago, BamaDoc said:

Just using the last 28 days feature at baseball reference.  In that time , Collins batting avg is .065 with OPS .418     I agree it looks like his defense has regressed.  Maybe he is taking his  offensive slump into the field?  I chuckled when people insinuated him going down and keeping Zavala when Grandal comes back.  It isn't funny anymore

it feels as bad as the numbers. he's not the answer at backup catcher ... i thought he was ... i was one of his bigger proponents saying "it's just backup C" ....

at this point - we're not trying to develop prospects anymore. sucks to be a fringe guy, but we have to make decisions that put us in position to win each and every game. if we're talking backup catcher who's bad at calling and catching? we have Yermin. at least he brings something to the table with the stick. or the guy we traded for. but collins needs to go work on some stuff ... the experiment is over. hell, i think it's dumb we didn't sign wilson ramos. anything is better than what we have. We should be trying combinations of anyhting and everything at this point. 

5 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

it feels as bad as the numbers. he's not the answer at backup catcher ... i thought he was ... i was one of his bigger proponents saying "it's just backup C" ....

at this point - we're not trying to develop prospects anymore. sucks to be a fringe guy, but we have to make decisions that put us in position to win each and every game. if we're talking backup catcher who's bad at calling and catching? we have Yermin. at least he brings something to the table with the stick. or the guy we traded for. but collins needs to go work on some stuff ... the experiment is over. hell, i think it's dumb we didn't sign wilson ramos. anything is better than what we have. We should be trying combinations of anyhting and everything at this point. 

I was so focused on the BP and Gallo and Escobar, that I never cared about backup catcher as a need.  The closer we got to the deadline the more I wanted Gomes . He would've been a really nice get although not LH he was bringing an fWAR a little below Grandal. Big discrepancy between fWAR and bWAR for Gomes  . For Grandal it's pretty much equal.

Do you send Collins down once Yas is back? 

I'd rather give him some breathers at DH to keep his knee happy for playoffs. Zavala is fine and even if he can't hit who cares with rest of lineup? 

When Yas isn't catching...

zavala 

Abreu

Hernandez 

TA

Yoan

Luis/AV/Engel

Yas

16 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

At this point it almost feels like they will transfer him to the day 60-day IL to open up a spot on the 40 for Robert and let him take his time coming back.

I don't think so. He was running the bases, doing some drills with cones and taking BP this weekend. I think he gets a rehab assignment sometime this week, and probably won't need more than a few games before they get bring him back. 

2 hours ago, manbearpuig said:

At this point it almost feels like they will transfer him to the day 60-day IL to open up a spot on the 40 for Robert and let him take his time coming back.

I hope not.  That means Yaz is out until after Labor Day.  

6 hours ago, wegner said:

Tough to argue with pinch hitting Seby there but it would have been nice to keep Britton in the game...that guy was imploding.

I would have taken my chances with Leury in that spot. Seby is the worst hitter on the team by…..a lot. May be a better option than Collins vs LHP, but with Leury available that seemed like the best play. Oh well. Not exactly a bunch of good options. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I would have taken my chances with Leury in that spot. Seby is the worst hitter on the team by…..a lot. May be a better option than Collins vs LHP, but with Leury available that seemed like the best play. Oh well. Not exactly a bunch of good options. 

Guess Leury may not have been available. So makes more sense now. TLR had 2 terrible options there between Collins and Seby. 

1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

Has played 4 games, has caught in one of them for 5 innings. Sure seems like they will take this rehab slowly.

Yah.  Unfortunately doesn't appear Yaz is going to be ready to take the bulk of the catching anytime soon.  Hopefully he is by mid-September.  

Likely means we're going to see our fair share of Eloy-Robert-Vaughn OFs with Yaz at DH for at least the first few weeks he's back.