The Grandal will come out tomorrow, you can bet your bottom dollar

Buehrle>Wood

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah.  Unfortunately doesn't appear Yaz is going to be ready to take the bulk of the catching anytime soon.  Hopefully he is by mid-September.  

Likely means we're going to see our fair share of Eloy-Robert-Vaughn OFs with Yaz at DH for at least the first few weeks he's back. 

At least Vaughn has looked good out there. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah.  Unfortunately doesn't appear Yaz is going to be ready to take the bulk of the catching anytime soon.  Hopefully he is by mid-September.  

Likely means we're going to see our fair share of Eloy-Robert-Vaughn OFs with Yaz at DH for at least the first few weeks he's back. 

I can live with that.  Issue with Seby isn't his catching ability.

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't necessarily think his Dh ing is a sign he is far away. Catching is brutal. They may be saving him until the bat is ready. 

That's what I was thinking. Getting his timing back at the plate is probably the time consuming part.

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't necessarily think his Dh ing is a sign he is far away. Catching is brutal. They may be saving him until the bat is ready. 

This - I figure they aren’t going to waste his knees catching a bunch of minor league games. When he is ready to catch - he will do it at the big league level and this is more just a stint to get his timing back. My guess is we see him during the next series. 

10 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

This - I figure they aren’t going to waste his knees catching a bunch of minor league games. When he is ready to catch - he will do it at the big league level and this is more just a stint to get his timing back. My guess is we see him during the next series. 

I definitely hope that is the case!  But he is coming of a knee surgery, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's unable to catch 5-6 times a week yet.  I hope he is tho! 

I am so done with the automatic out in the line-up in Zavala/Collins, and while Seby is at least serviceable behind the plate, he definitely isn't good enough to make up for his noodle bat.  

Edited by ChiSox59

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I definitely hope that is the case!  But he is coming of a knee surgery, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's unable to catch 5-6 times a week yet.  I hope he is tho! 

I am so done with the automatic out in the line-up in Zavala/Collins, and while Seby is at least serviceable behind the plate, he definitely isn't good enough to make up for his noodle bat.  

I am still trying to figure out why Seby is considered so great defensively. Another PB yesterday, so 6 in 20 starts. Hardly,ever throws anyone out 15 SB 1 CS, granted a lot of that is on the pitchers, but I think he has made some awful throws.

Edited by Dick Allen

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

It really wasn't knee surgery. It was a tendon near the knee. I know its a technicality but it makes a difference. His knee joint is intact and structurally sound.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

I am still trying to figure out why Seby is considered so great defensively. Another PB yesterday. Never throws anyone out, granted a lot of that is on the pitchers, but I think he has made some awful throws.

I am with you.  I called him serviceable behind the dish, which I think is fair. Seby isn't anywhere close to a major leaguer.  

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I am still trying to figure out why Seby is considered so great defensively. Another PB yesterday. Never throws anyone out, granted a lot of that is on the pitchers, but I think he has made some awful throws.

Maybe it's a low bar sort of thing when compared to Collins. Not that that makes it any better.

• Like 1

Anyone know how Xavier Fernandez or Carlos Perez is behind the plate? I feel like they have to be better options at this point as a backup. I feel like it will be a 4-way competition between Perez, Fernandez, minor league signing and Zavala (unless he is cut) for the job next year.

Edited by manbearpuig

4 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Anyone know how Xavier Fernandez or Carlos Perez is behind the plate? I feel like they have to be better options at this point as a backup. I feel like it will be a 4-way competition between Perez, Fernandez, minor league signing and Zavala (unless he is cut) for the job next year.

If they are so down on Collins, they think Seby is ahead of him, not trading for a back up catcher at the deadine is curious. They don't cost much. 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

If they are so down on Collins, they think Seby is ahead of him, not trading for a back up catcher at the deadine is curious. They don't cost much. 

I kinda figured that was the point of bringing in Deivy Grullon, but he hasn't exactly played a ton in AAA

3 hours ago, gogosox1959 said:

Zavala is not going down.  Collins is gone unless they decide that they have an extra arm and go with 3 catchers until Billy or Engel get back

6+ passed balls in a very short amount of time, horrific skills at catching balls in the dirt, numerous runners getting free bases, if he ain't gone sox will lose a lot of games down the stretch ans playoffs soley bc he sucks behind the plate