Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Buehrle>Wood

The Grandal will come out tomorrow, you can bet your bottom dollar

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah.  Unfortunately doesn't appear Yaz is going to be ready to take the bulk of the catching anytime soon.  Hopefully he is by mid-September.  

Likely means we're going to see our fair share of Eloy-Robert-Vaughn OFs with Yaz at DH for at least the first few weeks he's back. 

At least Vaughn has looked good out there. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah.  Unfortunately doesn't appear Yaz is going to be ready to take the bulk of the catching anytime soon.  Hopefully he is by mid-September.  

Likely means we're going to see our fair share of Eloy-Robert-Vaughn OFs with Yaz at DH for at least the first few weeks he's back. 

I can live with that.  Issue with Seby isn't his catching ability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to just gush about someone who I spent much of the year crapping on but his presence in the lineup just makes the other hitters much better.  His ability to take pitches and run up pitch counts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Need to get him back for the bitching. Why did they let McCann Walk? His contract is an albatross and all the rest.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't necessarily think his Dh ing is a sign he is far away. Catching is brutal. They may be saving him until the bat is ready. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't necessarily think his Dh ing is a sign he is far away. Catching is brutal. They may be saving him until the bat is ready. 

That's what I was thinking. Getting his timing back at the plate is probably the time consuming part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't necessarily think his Dh ing is a sign he is far away. Catching is brutal. They may be saving him until the bat is ready. 

This - I figure they aren’t going to waste his knees catching a bunch of minor league games. When he is ready to catch - he will do it at the big league level and this is more just a stint to get his timing back. My guess is we see him during the next series. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

This - I figure they aren’t going to waste his knees catching a bunch of minor league games. When he is ready to catch - he will do it at the big league level and this is more just a stint to get his timing back. My guess is we see him during the next series. 

I definitely hope that is the case!  But he is coming of a knee surgery, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's unable to catch 5-6 times a week yet.  I hope he is tho! 

I am so done with the automatic out in the line-up in Zavala/Collins, and while Seby is at least serviceable behind the plate, he definitely isn't good enough to make up for his noodle bat.  

Edited by ChiSox59

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I definitely hope that is the case!  But he is coming of a knee surgery, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's unable to catch 5-6 times a week yet.  I hope he is tho! 

I am so done with the automatic out in the line-up in Zavala/Collins, and while Seby is at least serviceable behind the plate, he definitely isn't good enough to make up for his noodle bat.  

I am still trying to figure out why Seby is considered so great defensively. Another PB yesterday, so 6 in 20 starts. Hardly,ever throws anyone out 15 SB 1 CS, granted a lot of that is on the pitchers, but I think he has made some awful throws.

Edited by Dick Allen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I definitely hope that is the case!  But he is coming of a knee surgery, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's unable to catch 5-6 times a week yet.  I hope he is tho! 

I am so done with the automatic out in the line-up in Zavala/Collins, and while Seby is at least serviceable behind the plate, he definitely isn't good enough to make up for his noodle bat.  

It really wasn't knee surgery. It was a tendon near the knee. I know its a technicality but it makes a difference. His knee joint is intact and structurally sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dick Allen said:

I am still trying to figure out why Seby is considered so great defensively. Another PB yesterday. Never throws anyone out, granted a lot of that is on the pitchers, but I think he has made some awful throws.

I am with you.  I called him serviceable behind the dish, which I think is fair. Seby isn't anywhere close to a major leaguer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I am still trying to figure out why Seby is considered so great defensively. Another PB yesterday. Never throws anyone out, granted a lot of that is on the pitchers, but I think he has made some awful throws.

Maybe it's a low bar sort of thing when compared to Collins. Not that that makes it any better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Anyone know how Xavier Fernandez or Carlos Perez is behind the plate? I feel like they have to be better options at this point as a backup. I feel like it will be a 4-way competition between Perez, Fernandez, minor league signing and Zavala (unless he is cut) for the job next year.

Edited by manbearpuig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Anyone know how Xavier Fernandez or Carlos Perez is behind the plate? I feel like they have to be better options at this point as a backup. I feel like it will be a 4-way competition between Perez, Fernandez, minor league signing and Zavala (unless he is cut) for the job next year.

If they are so down on Collins, they think Seby is ahead of him, not trading for a back up catcher at the deadine is curious. They don't cost much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

If they are so down on Collins, they think Seby is ahead of him, not trading for a back up catcher at the deadine is curious. They don't cost much. 

Yan Gomes would have been fantastic.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

If they are so down on Collins, they think Seby is ahead of him, not trading for a back up catcher at the deadine is curious. They don't cost much. 

I kinda figured that was the point of bringing in Deivy Grullon, but he hasn't exactly played a ton in AAA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

 

The sooner the better.  Zavala can't go down soon enough imo.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zavala is not going down.  Collins is gone unless they decide that they have an extra arm and go with 3 catchers until Billy or Engel get back

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Grandal back next week?

 

“Grandal is nearing a return.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gogosox1959 said:

Zavala is not going down.  Collins is gone unless they decide that they have an extra arm and go with 3 catchers until Billy or Engel get back

 

6+ passed balls in a very short amount of time, horrific skills at catching balls in the dirt, numerous runners getting free bases, if he ain't gone sox will lose a lot of games down the stretch ans playoffs soley bc he sucks behind the plate 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make that 7 passed balls now as he dropped another one.  He is very very very bad behind the plate.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×