The Grandal will come out tomorrow, you can bet your bottom dollar

Buehrle>Wood

2 minutes ago, tray said:

It wasn't one position because they both DHed and played 1B.

McCann was a All Star. Collins is playing at a Minor league level on a contending team.

I don't get some of you that complain that Reinsdorf doesn't spend the money to put this team in contention, then you argue that money should not be spent.

Hindsight is 20/20 but the  decision to save money and go with Collins has proven to be short-sighted.

They have a 1B.

They have plenty of DHs.

Also McCann has sucked this year, and has been out hit by... Zack Collins.  For 9.5 million less dollars, or about as much as Lance Lynn is making this year.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'm not sure we will ever be at full strength. Moncada, Eloy, Robert, and Nicky get hurt quite a bit. Grandal and Abreu are getting up in age. 

It seems Moncada has been playing with a nagging injury for a while. Hopefully the power comes back in the 2nd half. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Because Mercedes can't catch.

Yep. Mercedes is a DH only. Sheets has supplanted him and is keeping the seat warm for Eloy. 

Yermin might get traded to a team that can give him regular ABs as a DH. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

McCann has sucked this year, and has been out hit by... Zack Collins.  For 9.5 million less dollars, or about as much as Lance Lynn is making this year.

Collins has outhit and outplayed McCann defensively?  OK...

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yep. Mercedes is a DH only. Sheets has supplanted him and is keeping the seat warm for Eloy. 

Yermin might get traded to a team that can give him regular ABs as a DH. 

"The money will be spent." Don't you feel confident that Jerry will absorb as much payroll as necessary to improve this team during the deadline? LOL. What a slap in the face to fans that "money will be spent" line Rick always would say was. 

21 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm just thinking it's cool seeing Venus and Mars in the sky now.

Can't wait until Jupiter and Saturn are out in the late evening. 

I just bought astrophotography equipment. Will share my photos with the group when I get it down a bit more. 

On a lighter note. 

I'm expecting Grandal to miss at least 4-6 weeks with his injury. If it's a season ender, I'm probably just going to casually follow until the playoffs, and then catch the playoff games before transitioning into football and hockey season. 

Go Sox. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

55 minutes ago, tray said:

Stone complained tonight about Collins reaching for balls across the plate that otherwise might have been called strikes and allowing balls to get by him for extra bases.  I have been excited to see Collins progress this season , but now I question whether he can handle being the primary catcher on a contending team.

One knee catchers are just not on balance for lots of plays…maybe the future niche is finding/developing catchers who can avoid that.  I remember Tony Pena always did that thing where he stretched his other leg out to alleviate the pressure…but not with a knee on the ground.

Edited by caulfield12

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Can't wait until Jupiter and Saturn are out in the late evening. 

I just bought astrophotography equipment. Will share my photos with the group when I get it down a bit more. 

On a lighter note. 

I'm expecting Grandal to miss at least 4-6 weeks with his injury. If it's a season ender, I'm probably just going to casually follow until the playoffs, and then catch the playoff games before transitioning into football and hockey season. 

Go Sox. 

It's sad but this team has been losing fan interest for weeks now. The internet is real quiet in terms of Sox Nation. It seems like people are just done with the baseball stress. Very unfortunate circumstances. We need more Eloy and Robert updates quick. 

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

It's sad but this team has been losing fan interest for weeks now. The internet is real quiet in terms of Sox Nation. It seems like people are just done with the baseball stress. Very unfortunate circumstances. We need more Eloy and Robert updates quick. 

This is the first hame all season I just really didn’t care that much…and even had Moncada and Cease going for fantasy team.

Just that feeling they might have to back into the playoffs, especially with how the starting pitching and defense has been underperforming recently.  If it’s not one of those, it’s injuries or the bullpen.

Other than Burger and Sheets, hard to get very much excited about watching this offense.  We started out the year with Eaton/Engel as the weak lineup link…now, every night there are about 5-6 dead spots in the order.

1 hour ago, tray said:

Stone complained tonight about Collins reaching for balls across the plate that otherwise might have been called strikes and allowing balls to get by him for extra bases.  I have been excited to see Collins progress this season , but now I question whether he can handle being the primary catcher on a contending team.

The first part about reaching across the plate isn't a complaint by Stone. What he is saying there is if  Collins sets up on the outside part of the plate because that's where the pitch should be and then the pitch goes to the inside part of the plate , it's not the catchers fault it isn't called a strike. It's on the pitcher to hit his spot.

To frame a pitch properly it usually has to go in the vicinity of where you expect it to be.

If a catcher has to reach all the way across the plate from where he set up, no catcher can possibly frame that pitch. Stone is saying umps just won't give you the call on pitches like that .

30 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I have been pretty apathetic since Robert got hurt. Nothing they've done has changed that for me. 

I was more into 2019 and 2020 than I am this season. 

I'm usually more into baseball than any other sport I follow. Not this year. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 3

At this point the Sox really need this All Star break to get some players the 5 days off. I would sit both Moncada and Grandal right now. That would give them 11 days until the next game. Anybody else with a lingering injury sit them right now as well. Get in to the break with a 4 or 5 game lead and call it good on the first half. 

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

One knee catchers are just not on balance for lots of plays…maybe the future niche is finding/developing catchers who can avoid that.  I remember Tony Pena always did that thing where he stretched his other leg out to alleviate the pressure…but not with a knee on the ground.

Yes. Collins definitely isn't a great framer but one knee guys also need good command from their pitchers because otherwise you need to jerk the glove around because you can't do a subtle shift as well as with a traditional stance. 

Maybe part of that was also Sox pitchers struggling with command. 

5 hours ago, brijames1957 said:

At this point the Sox really need this All Star break to get some players the 5 days off. I would sit both Moncada and Grandal right now. That would give them 11 days until the next game. Anybody else with a lingering injury sit them right now as well. Get in to the break with a 4 or 5 game lead and call it good on the first half. 

10-day IL them now and they only miss 5 games (well, Moncada anyway. Grandal’s might be more severe) with a day off Thursday and 4 days off for All-Star break.

Edited by manbearpuig

• Heads22 changed the title to Grandal tears tendon in left knee (out 4-6 weeks), Zavala called up