The Grandal will come out tomorrow, you can bet your bottom dollar

Buehrle>Wood

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Hoping for good news.  I was at the game and it and didn't look good.  Watched the highlight last night and looked even worse.  At the game looked like his thigh or upper leg - the replay looked much more like an achilles injury.

This team can probably get by without Grandal for 6 weeks or so.  BUt if this is a season-ender, WOOF.  Despite being hated by a good chunk of (clueless) Sox fans, Grandal is a HUGE part of this team and would be the 4th devastating blow we've encountered.  At some point, it just becomes too much to weather.  Thankfully, Eloy and Luis should (god willing) help fill some of the offensive gap.  But we're at least 6 weeks away from that.  Collins has definitely improved as a catcher, but he is not an everyday guy. Zavala certainly isn't the answer.  Going to need to find something in the trade market if Grandal's season is over. Welp. 

I think grandal is the hardest person to lose and replace on the roster. They're in trouble without Yaz. 

Good news is the Indians are garbage and the division trash so they'll likely be fine if the pitching stays healthy 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think grandal is the hardest person to lose and replace on the roster. They're in trouble without Yaz. 

Good news is the Indians are garbage and the division trash so they'll likely be fine if the pitching stays healthy 

Yeah, I'd say that Robert.  But Grandal would be #2 for me.  Regardless, he's incredibility important. 

2 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

If Grandal is out for the season, the Sox need to get Tony's old buddy Yadi ASAP. He still hits lefties well and would be a good platoon partner for Collins.

Most teams would make a guy like Molina (or his battery mate Wainwright) at his stage of his career available if they were out of it as the Cardinals are (7 1/2 games out of a WC).

Not sure if it will happen, even if they consent to a trade, because they have been Cardinals for life. The team still sells out most games, will want to keep "Cardinals Nation" happy. If they can sell it as giving either/both one last chance at a WS, the fan base could be sold.

Still recall during the offseason the Cardinals were seen as a near lock on the Division / Wild Card this year after their cheap acquisition of Arenado. The Cardinals are 12th in the NL (21st in MLB) in run differential. They have had minimal injuries, they just have played mediocre baseball.

29 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Hoping for good news.  I was at the game and it and didn't look good.  Watched the highlight last night and looked even worse.  At the game looked like his thigh or upper leg - the replay looked much more like an achilles injury.

This team can probably get by without Grandal for 6 weeks or so.  BUt if this is a season-ender, WOOF.  Despite being hated by a good chunk of (clueless) Sox fans, Grandal is a HUGE part of this team and would be the 4th devastating blow we've encountered.  At some point, it just becomes too much to weather.  Thankfully, Eloy and Luis should (god willing) help fill some of the offensive gap.  But we're at least 6 weeks away from that.  Collins has definitely improved as a catcher, but he is not an everyday guy. Zavala certainly isn't the answer.  Going to need to find something in the trade market if Grandal's season is over. Welp. 

It looked terrible because he was in a lot of pain, but the physical act that caused it to happen was minimal. Hopefully that keeps the severity down. It wasn't like he was busting his ass going somewhere, he just took a pitch  That calf muscle couldn't have been as engaged as it would be for other things.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Engel isn't robert but hes much closer to being able to cover for him than collins or zavala are to Yaz imo.

For sure. I get the logic. Robert just adds so much to this team in every aspect. L And obviously Engel hasn’t been healthy either. But yeah, they’re both extremely difficult players to replace. 

16 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Most teams would make a guy like Molina (or his battery mate Wainwright) at his stage of his career available if they were out of it as the Cardinals are (7 1/2 games out of a WC).

Not sure if it will happen, even if they consent to a trade, because they have been Cardinals for life. The team still sells out most games, will want to keep "Cardinals Nation" happy. If they can sell it as giving either/both one last chance at a WS, the fan base could be sold.

Still recall during the offseason the Cardinals were seen as a near lock on the Division / Wild Card this year after their cheap acquisition of Arenado. The Cardinals are 12th in the NL (21st in MLB) in run differential. They have had minimal injuries, they just have played mediocre baseball.

Yeah I think Molina retires a cardinal

30 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, I'd say that Robert.  But Grandal would be #2 for me.  Regardless, he's incredibility important. 

His power is very important to this team as is his OBP . If we think the Sox offense has been sputtering but has survived because of next man up working Grandal is a huge loss.

Now Collins isn't a terrible replacement . After all he has power and a good eye and an increase in PT might be good for him but I would imagine I won't be venturing into too many game threads because it will be hard to look at the 100's of posts blaming him for pitches that aren't called strikes, pitcher's pitching bad, how he calls a terrible game and how he sucks at framing. You'd think Collins had a 666 on his skull.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

His power is very important to this team as is his OBP . If we think the Sox offense has been sputtering but has survived because of next man up working Grandal is a huge loss.

Now Collins isn't a terrible replacement . After all he has power and a good eye and an increase in PT might be good for him but I would imagine I won't be venturing into too many game threads because it will be hard to look at the 100's of posts blaming him for pitches that aren't called strikes, pitcher's pitching bad, how he calls a terrible game and how he sucks at framing. You'd think Collins had a 666 on his skull.

But the metrics support the claims he’s horrible at framing 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fathom said:

But the metrics support the claims he’s horrible at framing 

I didn't say he was good at the things I mentioned. I just said I don't like seeing all the people parroting the things you usually say when most people have no idea if Collins is actually as lousy as so many say he is. It's easier to be a sheep than it is to do actual research with an open mind or give him the benefit of the doubt on things people may not understand such as game calling. I mean if Rodon and Gio like throwing to him there has to be a reason. I know Grandal has his share of defensive critics too about this game calling/passed ball, but at some point you have to think there are a lot of benches in baseball calling pitches and pitchers have the ultimate say by nodding or shaking their heads and executing the pitches.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

20 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The good news is if he has to miss a month or two, he , Robert, Eloy, all should be pretty strong at the end of the season and the playoffs when other guys are probably dying. Could be huge.

I didn't see it but calf injuries are tough especially for a catcher. It should be at least 4 weeks. Probably 6-8.

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I didn't see it but calf injuries are tough especially for a catcher. It should be at least 4 weeks. Probably 6-8.

OK, so what would cause a training staff to clear a catcher with an extant calf injury so quickly?

Given the craptacular injury luck this team has had this season, one might anticipate that they'd be more conservative in their estimates for his return from the initial injury.

1 minute ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

OK, so what would cause a training staff to clear a catcher with an extant calf injury so quickly?

Given the craptacular injury luck this team has had this season, one might anticipate that they'd be more conservative in their estimates for his return from the initial injury.

Great question!  This training staff should be fired 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

The first one i saw and i thought it should have been a minimum of 5 days. The athletic trainers don't always have the proper information. The player has to report it properly. Players have been known to down play injuries from either wanting to come back or influence from manager, coaching, FO 

• Like 1

Just now, ptatc said:

Sorry, I didn't see the whole thread. just jumping on from some comments.

Actually I misread it anyway. I thought you were responding to post with “I don’t see it” but you meant you didn’t see the injury happen I think. I think I might be developing late onset dyslexia. Literally saw “I didn’t see it” as “I don’t see it” until I reread it. No one actually said officially 1-2 months, I was referring to Dick Allen’s speculation in post you quoted

42 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It looked terrible because he was in a lot of pain, but the physical act that caused it to happen was minimal. Hopefully that keeps the severity down. It wasn't like he was busting his ass going somewhere, he just took a pitch  That calf muscle couldn't have been as engaged as it would be for other things.

Didn't Jake Burger snap his achilles walking in his backyard?  Point remains for sure, but I wouldn't rule anything serious out.  Grandal is a tough dude and as you said he was in an incredible amount of pain. 

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

The first one i saw and i thought it should have been a minimum of 5 days. The athletic trainers don't always have the proper information. The player has to report it properly. Players have been known to down play injuries from either wanting to come back or influence from manager, coaching, FO 

I thought I saw you post the same back then. I feel like someone had to recognize how key Grandal is to this team, and MAKE SURE that he was unlikely to make a "slight" injury into a several weeks-long or months-long absence.

Agreed that the player had to "fess up," and properly report the injury. But this also feels like a failure in leadership, be it from the training staff, the coaching staff, or the FO. 

45 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

To me the fact the act was minimal makes it worse. Like it was the straw that broke the camels back. If it was a good twisting or something I’d be more hopeful a little rest would do the trick

• Heads22 changed the title to Grandal tears tendon in left knee (out 4-6 weeks), Zavala called up