GT 7/6: SOX @ MIN, 7:10

Just now, joesaiditstrue said:

if you're going on xBA alone, the Billy Hamilton catch is much more impressive imo

Well I don't think xBA was a thing when Wise made his catch. This one just seems more difficult given the conditions. Wise's catch was obviously under much higher leverage given the perfect game on the line. 

7 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

The Sox need to give up on shoving as many lefty bats as possible into the lineup vs RHP and start Engel or Hamilton in CF every day.

TLR is obsessive about having lefties facing righties regardless. Old school.

7 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

LaRussa had probably forgotten more about the game of baseball than we will ever know 

So you agree he’s senile then? I’d prefer to pretend coginitive decline among elderly alcoholics showing actual apparent signs of decline doesn’t exist and that in fact the human mind remains sharp as a tack until the day we die. It will be helpful in maintaining this delusion if we all call it bigotry instead. I hope the board will comply with my humble request and deviants promptly excoriated. Thank you very much

Edited by Vulture

28 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Can’t believe Goodwin actually caught that one.

If you take into account their relative defensive abilities, one could argue that the last out by Goodwin was a better catch than Billy's 😎

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

The Sox need to give up on shoving as many lefty bats as possible into the lineup vs RHP and start Engel or Hamilton in CF every day.

Depends on the RHP. Can't just make a blanket statement like that. Berrios has great stuff but LH hit him about .100 batting average points better than RH . His stuff was just very good tonight. Would you rather have a .200BA  up there against him or a .300BA  ?

32 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

TLR is obsessive about having lefties facing righties regardless. Old school.

And conversely opposing managers usually make pitching changes based on the guys coming up to bat handedness .Plus before the rule change about facing 3 hitters it was often done that way for 1 or 2 hitters. All of this is nothing new to baseball by both sides. There is nothing old school about it. Acting like it's some TLR flaw is very strange.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And conversely opposing managers usually make pitching changes based on the guys coming up to bat handedness .Plus before the rule change about facing 3 hitters it was often done that way for 1 or 2 hitters. All of this is nothing new to baseball by both sides. There is nothing old school about it. Acting like it's some TLR flaw is very strange.

There are actually managers out there aware of the fact there is such a thing as reverse splits. Acting like it’s not a flaw is pure denial

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moncada said:

Hamilton haters just got **** slapped 🤣 

Billy brought a whole new game to the Sox and TA helped. Billy deserves a spot on the playoff squad. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Vulture said:

There are actually managers out there aware of the fact there is such a thing as reverse splits. Acting like it’s not a flaw is pure denial

ANd if you can give me some stats where managers used reverse splits to their advantage  or when TLR could've used reverse splits but didnt have at it, but its rare that pitchers or hitters have reverse splits throughout theirs careers. I spoke about how it happens in most instances. Saying that  there are times when there are reverse splits where a RHB may PH or start against a RHP isn't worth discussing. You probably would have a hard time finding some type of article discussing it unless it's talking about All STar type players having good stats against lefties and righties. Like Eloy seems to hit both well but that's how you normally treat good players

When you are talking about starting or PH one bench player over another with reverse splits it's  pretty meaningless. Can you find me one bench player on the Sox or fringe level pitcher who is better against same handed handed players ? Goodwin, Lamb, Eaton are lefty and better against righties. Vaughn , Engel, Abreu, Robert, Madrigal Anderson all better against LHP. Switch hitters most of them also have a strong side.

It's not a flaw because it rarely makes a difference. In fact I challenge you to find one article where a manager intentionally batted a RHB over a LHB because of reverse splits and it worked, or choose a LHB over a RHB against a LHP who isn't normally in the starting lineup.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Look either he did or didn't cost the Sox the game. Pick one. If you are talking about the triple , you are nuts. That ball was in the air 3 seconds and was a laser. You're talking like you're angry because he isn't Buxton and sometimes you know balls get by Buxton too because he isn't superman either. Balls like that do find gaps even with the best CF's around.

Lol. Relax dude. Goodwin sucks balls at the OF. The eyes say it. The stats say it. Not sure why that seemingly offends you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

ANd if you can give me some stats where managers used reverse splits to their advantage  or when TLR could've used reverse splits but didnt have at it, but its rare that pitchers or hitters have reverse splits throughout theirs careers. I spoke about how it happens in most instances. Saying that  there are times when there are reverse splits where a RHB may PH or start against a RHP isn't worth discussing. You probably would have a hard time finding some type of article discussing it unless it's talking about All STar type players having good stats against lefties and righties. Like Eloy seems to hit both well but that's how you normally treat good players

When you are talking about starting or PH one bench player over another with reverse splits it's  pretty meaningless. Can you find me one bench player on the Sox or fringe level pitcher who is better against same handed handed players ? Goodwin, Lamb, Eaton are lefty and better against righties. Vaughn , Engel, Abreu, Robert, Madrigal Anderson all better against LHP. Switch hitters most of them also have a strong side.

It's not a flaw because it rarely makes a difference. In fact I challenge you to find one article where a manager intentionally batted a RHB over a LHB because of reverse splits and it worked, or choose a LHB over a RHB against a LHP who isn't normally in the starting lineup.

That’s an awful long post to explain why something is not worth discussing. I challenge you to come up with an even longer post about how it’s not worth discussing why its not worth discussing.. No word gobbledygook to fill up space though. I need a series of cogent and concise statements supporting the argument. If you choose to fulfill this task I will accept your challenge and provide said statistical analysis of this unworthy topic.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 2