Engel back, Eaton DFA

Heads22

IMO, this move makes a lot more sense if a 2B or RF acquisition is imminent.  Without it, we're an Engel hammy tweak away from being forced to play two 1st basemen in the OF everyday, or play Mendick everyday which clearly isn't the answer.  

Not that Eaton was solving much of anything, but he was a body that played good RF defense and hit from the left side. Two major team weaknesses, especially with the Yaz injury.    

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

Just now, manbearpuig said:

Opening up a spot on the 40-man doesn't exactly mean a deal is about to happen though. I honestly thought Eaton was the obvious one to go out of the bunch.

The vast majority of us keep calling for BP help, a 2 nd baseman upgrade, an outfielder, etc.  If we get these new guys quite a few moves like this are happening.

Just now, quickman said:

maybe a trade is imminent, but if not with all the injuries we have this is surprising. It also shows that the sox are willing to eat money dont they also have to pick up the buyout for next year? 

Yeah he's owed a $1 million buyout and the rest of his $7 million salary. 

5 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

Yeah, this move shows they're not fucking around, I'm shocked as well but also delighted, he's clearly on his last legs. I do think this signifies they're making a deal for an outfielder.

Same, but I think a big part of this is Sox not having room for a guy working through chain link injuries. Brian Goodwin had health, which clearly is now the premium.

• Thanks 1

In other words, if Sox had our starters struggling offensively but not injured, I imagine Eaton may be safe pending trade upgrade. But when they are all out via injury and he’s hobbling and unproductive it’s not worth having a guy that needs to sit every 3 games.

Just now, bmags said:

Same, but I think a big part of this is Sox not having room for a guy working through chain link injuries. Brian Goodwin had health, which clearly is now the premium.

You gotta be available to be valuable and his body's about done. I just can't imagine with Engel dealing with injuries and the high probability that Goodwin turns into a pumpkin sometime soon I think they're going to get someone, admitting to this mistake was the first step.

Surprised - he can play when his legs are under him but clearly his lower body is an issue. Too bad cause he had a real nice first month of the season. I still think they played him too much too early but obviously injuries forced their hand. 

Sox aren’t messing around - of course Joc sure would have been nice. 

Just now, Kalapse said:

For a DFA it's a legit exciting move because of all that it signifies.

If we're willing to eat $4 million on DFA, we're definitely willing to take on some money in a trade.