Engel back, Eaton DFA

Heads22

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Tony is exactly why I am shocked Eaton got let go.  Those two were made for each other.

I almost wonder if Rick saw Eaton batting leadoff yesterday and said nope fuck this, we ain't doing that anymore.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Surprised - he can play when his legs are under him but clearly his lower body is an issue. Too bad cause he had a real nice first month of the season. I still think they played him too much too early but obviously injuries forced their hand. 

Sox aren’t messing around - of course Joc sure would have been nice. 

Joc has been pretty terrible as well. 94 wRC+; 0.2 fWAr.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

You gotta be available to be valuable and his body's about done. I just can't imagine with Engel dealing with injuries and the high probability that Goodwin turns into a pumpkin sometime soon I think they're going to get someone, admitting to this mistake was the first step.

The FO made a reasonable decision to acquire Eaton and a reasonable decision to cut him loose IMO.  Seems to me they are being proactive far more than in prior years.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Joc has been pretty terrible as well. 94 wRC+; 0.2 fWAr.  

I am not saying joc is perfect - but he would have been better. He also put .840 and 780 or so ops in May and June so yes he sucked in April but he is going to be productive all season long. 

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I am not saying joc is perfect - but he would have been better. He also put .840 and 780 or so ops in May and June so yes he sucked in April but he is going to be productive all season long. 

Looks like the right FA OFer to sign was Schwarber. I doubt the Sox were even all that interested. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

HAHAHA Eaton is a clown and his teammates hate him

I don’t think this has anything to do with that. Not sure Goodwin should be tweeting this - but he is clearly excited that he is staying on the roster (for now). 

1 minute ago, KipWellsFan said:

This seems inappropriate, no??? Or am I missing something?

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don’t think this has anything to do with that. Not sure Goodwin should be tweeting this - but he is clearly excited that he is staying on the roster (for now). 

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

lmao Goodwin is definitely happy he'll have a job for at least one more month. 

It's definitely appropriate. Eaton is an asshole and even his teammates know it.

Of course it's in reference to Eaton being DFA'd. 

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Eating salary only matters if they replace him with a high salary.  He is DFA'd if someone picks him up they do not pay the salary.  If they release him and he is replaced by Engel then there is nothing really gained other than Goodwin's salary which is nothing.

Releasing him and taking on a decent sized contract shows a change in philosophy.

4 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Eating salary only matters if they replace him with a high salary.  He is DFA'd if someone picks him up they do not pay the salary.  If they release him and he is replaced by Engel then there is nothing really gained other than Goodwin's salary which is nothing.

Releasing him and taking on a decent sized contract shows a change in philosophy.

The contract is picked up by another team only if they claim him off waivers right? If he clears waivers and gets released, we still pay him the rest of his salary. I doubt he gets claimed and we're not going to end up outrighting him to Charlotte afterwards. 

18 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

You gotta be available to be valuable and his body's about done. I just can't imagine with Engel dealing with injuries and the high probability that Goodwin turns into a pumpkin sometime soon I think they're going to get someone, admitting to this mistake was the first step.

I think they are riding the hot hand until Eloy and Robert get back.

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

The contract is picked up by another team only if they claim him off waivers right? If he clears waivers and gets released, we still pay him the rest of his salary. I doubt he gets claimed and we're not going to end up outrighting him to Charlotte afterwards. 

I can't see anyone claiming him, but yes.  If he flows through waivers, he can either accept an assignment to the minors, or elect free agency.  Either way Eaton gets paid.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I can't see anyone claiming him, but yes.  If he flows through waivers, he can either accept an assignment to the minors, or elect free agency.  Either way Eaton gets paid.

Nobody's going to claim him but someone might trade for him and be willing to pay a small portion of his remaining salary. Not likely, but not impossible.

53 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

At this point Goodwin is the superior player, so it makes sense to keep him over Spanky. 

Eaton had a good game yesterday.  I am not sure Goodwin is the superior player, just that he is cheaper.  Eaton has more experience and better D than Goodwin.

• Like 1