Engel back, Eaton DFA

Heads22

24 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Looks like the right FA OFer to sign was Schwarber. I doubt the Sox were even all that interested. 

Schwarber would have been a great DH and backup outfielder in hindsight. And a dangerous lefty against right handed pitchers in a homer friendly park.

Although most of us knew it was right move, it's surprising the Sox did it.  Whether a trade is coming or not, Eaton had no place on this team.  Thanks for the first few weeks and the big 2-run HR in that extra inning game.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Eaton had a good game yesterday.  I am not sure Goodwin is the superior player, just that he is cheaper.  Eaton has more experience and better D than Goodwin.

They're paying Eaton either way, so the $$ can't matter.  I'm shocked at the move "irregardless."

1 minute ago, joesaiditstrue said:

wow, can't believe JR signed off on the DFA.  perk of TLR being the manager?

Maybe improvement by elimination.  If he refused a rehab assignment and there were any clubhouse issues, it really makes more sense.

Just now, manbearpuig said:

Think it would be opposite and TLR would want him to be honest.

I think based on Tony's comments in that article that it's more likely TLR convinced Jerry to eat the money. don't see that happening if Renteria or Hinch is the manager

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

I think based on Tony's comments in that article that it's more likely TLR convinced Jerry to eat the money. don't see that happening if Renteria or Hinch is the manager

sox fan delusion takes on a whole other level now... yes, tony called up jerry and begged him to cut 4 million dollars.

16 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Eaton had a good game yesterday.  I am not sure Goodwin is the superior player, just that he is cheaper.  Eaton has more experience and better D than Goodwin.

The money aspect doesn't matter though, since they're just paying him to go away now as a sunk cost. Goodwin is currently providing value with the bat, Eaton hasn't since April. Eaton is (probably) better defensively than Goodwin, but Engel and Hamilton are better than the both of them defensively. To me, it came down to this. Do you want output with the bat or the glove right now with your other OFer? This move seems more about having the better hitter right now available in the OF rotation/off the bench over riding with the worse hitting, but slight defensive upgrade. When Eloy and Robert come back, I don't picture Goodwin sticking around all that long, but that's also assuming relative health of the OFers on the roster now. 

• Like 1

First post and I'm an English White Sox fan, been a White Sox fan since I saw them live when my family visited Chicago in the early 80's, it was hard following them in those days as baseball wasn't reported much in the UK, but now thanks to the wonders of the internet I can stream games live. So please be nice!

Why if Eaton was going to be DFA'd today and he has been so poor at the plate, why was he lead off hitter yesterday? 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Reinsdorf had nothing to do with this move.  He will have something to do with a move that takes on a substantial contract.

Eaton is a sunk cost.  Cutting him proves nothing in regard to fiscal thinking for the White Sox organization.  The bottom line of the White Sox has not changed by this move.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

First post and I'm an English White Sox fan, been a White Sox fan since I saw them live when my family visited Chicago in the early 80's, it was hard following them in those days as baseball wasn't reported much in the UK, but now thanks to the wonders of the internet I can stream games live. So please be nice!

Why if Eaton was going to be DFA'd today and he has been so poor at the plate, why was he lead off hitter yesterday? 

Were you interviewed on a Chicago radio station a couple years ago?