Engel back, Eaton DFA

Heads22

18 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

First post and I'm an English White Sox fan, been a White Sox fan since I saw them live when my family visited Chicago in the early 80's, it was hard following them in those days as baseball wasn't reported much in the UK, but now thanks to the wonders of the internet I can stream games live. So please be nice!

Why if Eaton was going to be DFA'd today and he has been so poor at the plate, why was he lead off hitter yesterday? 

Welcome to Soxtalk!

1 hour ago, KipWellsFan said:

This seems inappropriate, no??? Or am I missing something?

Checking the unwritten rules against publicly celebrating the release of a former teammate immediately after he was DFA'd.

Just another instance of Hahn spending the money poorly, and too quickly in a buyers FA market.

I was pissed when he was signed. Knew immediately it was a terrible signing.

At the very least, the White Sox Organization figured it out now, rather than going through the whole year. 

The whole process was a F, now maybe a D grade because at least they are reactive enough here.

2 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

First post and I'm an English White Sox fan, been a White Sox fan since I saw them live when my family visited Chicago in the early 80's, it was hard following them in those days as baseball wasn't reported much in the UK, but now thanks to the wonders of the internet I can stream games live. So please be nice!

Why if Eaton was going to be DFA'd today and he has been so poor at the plate, why was he lead off hitter yesterday? 

Welcome to Soxtalk . You are our 2nd English fan. @Bazox is the other one. That's a very good question and one can only speculate as to why he was leading off. There is probably  no satisfactory explanation since he could 've played at the bottom of the lineup.

I think the most rational explanation would be with Anderson resting ,the pitcher for the Twins does worse against left handed batters and Eaton is better against right handed pitchers. Now that pitcher was very good yesterday and almost no one hit well except for Collins and the Sox held a 2-0 lead for a while even though the whole team only had that 1 hit for  many innings . Also without Anderson the Sox don't really have anyone else who is what you might call a typical leadoff hitter . The only ones who come closest are Billy Hamilton or Brian Goodwin. Hamilton is a switch hitter but currently not able to bat left handed because he is nursing an injury .

Goodwin has been hitting right handed pitching well and taking walks with a .450 on base percentage against right handed pitching so maybe he was a better choice. One last chance for Eaton to show his worth perhaps. Maybe the decision to be DFA'd was made after the game though that seems unlikely.

2 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

I think based on Tony's comments in that article that it's more likely TLR convinced Jerry to eat the money. don't see that happening if Renteria or Hinch is the manager

This makes sense although it might might not have anything to do with TLR .It makes a lot more sense than those who think they know what TLR is thinking or feels about certain players.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nothing is a tad aggressive.  He did give us Gio, and Lynn.  As for his 2021, that's a fair assessment.  

I am not Eaton guy at this point, but with how thin we are in the OF right now and will continue to be for some time, I am surprised at the move.  Could have just optioned Burger who doesn't appear to have a role on this team (as per how TLR is using him - not that I necessarily agree with it) except as a weak side platoon DH and pinch hitter.  

If Eaton played good defense I’d agree with you, but he’s garbage in the field too so I’d say the Sox have better options. That and I don’t think Burger is going back down unless he faceplants

Edited by Vulture

31 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I was pissed when he was signed. Knew immediately it was a terrible signing.

At the very least, the White Sox Organization figured it out now, rather than going through the whole year. 

The whole process was a F, now maybe a D grade because at least they are reactive enough here.

They should have listened to Soxtalk and picked up Jason Heyward.

I won’t have time to read through this thread until I get home tonight, but my first thought was if Eaton had his “bad attitude” behind the scenes to cause this.

Its so unlike the Sox to eat this kind of money without very good reason.  More than just performance.

Never understood the Eaton signing from jump. 

But it's a Reinsdorf run organization so I guess I'm not supposed to.

Everytime I see FTJR jumped 50 ft in the air on send a ball to Jupiter I tell myself he's a lucky guy to have been traded. Reinsdorf would still him cost-contained in AA. 

The idea of Reinsdorf paying anyone but himself 340 mil is sheer fantasy.

I'm waiting for them to trade Lil Bro Tatis for a lot of nothing.

Edited by GradMc

4 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Check out TLR’s comments when Eaton came off the IL.  
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyherald.com/amp-article/20210702/sports/210709837/

Yes, this does not read like a manager who’d object to a DFA:

"Because of his veteran status, he doesn't feel like he needs to go down to the minor leagues for a rehab," manager Tony La Russa said. "I think because he's got that kind of short stroke, smart hitter, he can come in right away and give you good at-bats."

"The one thing you make clear, they could choose not to go to rehab, the guys that play the best are going to play the most," La Russa said. "Will be interesting to see (Eaton) compete against our young guys."

Given:

- La Russa’s quotes

- Goodwin’s tweet

- Sox are eating EIGHT MILLION

This looks like a decision everyone was on board with. Eaton rubbed Tony/Rick/etc the wrong way not taking a rehab assignment, and his personality apparently rubbed teammates the wrong way.

$8 million for addition by subtraction...on and off the field. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Holy crap they cut him before Brian Goodwin or sending down Jake Burger?  Wow.

This.

Couldn't agree more. Worked midnights. Laid down this morning and spanky is on the team. Just woke up and he's been released. Wow.

3 hours ago, Chimpton said:

IMO, batting him lead off was a "last chance" for Eaton to showcase himself and change the organization's mind with a big game. 

Hahn, La Russa, & the front office didn't just come up with the idea to DFA him in the last 24 hours. It was likely brewing for a few days, in anticipation of Engel returning, and they wanted to be certain Eaton had nothing left before writing off $8 million as a sunk cost. 

1 minute ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

IMO, batting him lead off was a "last chance" for Eaton to showcase himself and change the organization's mind with a big game. 

Hahn, La Russa, & the front office didn't just come up with the idea to DFA him in the last 24 hours. It was likely brewing for a few days, in anticipation of Engel returning, and they wanted to be certain Eaton had nothing left before writing off $8 million as a sunk cost. 

That's really unfortunate for Eaton cause nobody was hitting Berrios last night. He did come up with a pretty big hit to get the third run in. I'd have to imagine him getting lost along with Goodwin on that Cruz fly ball didn't help his cause, as that ball landed closer to Eaton than it did Goodwin.