Engel back, Eaton DFA

Heads22

5 hours ago, 2Deep said:

Love this move. He is dead weight. I also think a move/trade is coming.....

Cespedes coming up.  With some of the promotions this year, at this point, nothing would really be all that shocking.

Fwiw, Eaton and Mercedes helped carry the team in April…it wasn’t worth $7 million or whatever, but both those guys made important contributions early.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Cespedes coming up.  With some of the promotions this year, at this point, nothing would really be all that shocking.

Fwiw, Eaton and Mercedes helped carry the team in April…it wasn’t worth $7 million or whatever, but both those guys made important contributions early.

Dude he's in A+ ball lmao. Even then he's striking out 1/3 of the time down there and hitting under .250. He's not ML ready. 

• Like 1

Surprised and happy at the move! 

Side question that is semi-off topic but I'm curious:  What happens to the player when this happens on the road?  Do they fly back separately from the team? Will Eaton go back to Chicago or back to his regular home (no idea where he resides) and wait to clear waivers?  I've always wondered the logistics of this from a player standpoint. 

Edited by Getupstretch39

4 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Checking the unwritten rules against publicly celebrating the release of a former teammate immediately after he was DFA'd.

Just another instance of Hahn spending the money poorly, and too quickly in a buyers FA market.

Teams like SF, Milwaukee and the Rays/A’s have done more with less (Giants on the pitching front), but Hahn at least gets a B or B- so far.  Can’t imagine the bullpen implosion with Colome.  Hendriks’ confidence/swagger really rubbing off.  

It’s one of just a few examples of Sox being helped and Twins hurt simultaneously in the last couple of decades.  We can also argue over McCann vs. Grandal, but the predicted pitching implosion never occurred.  James on this year’s team wouldn’t miraculously give Lucas back his 2019-20 stuff.

More importantly, we’re developing guys like Vaughn and especially Burger and Sheets one year earlier…building up some needed depth (starting pitching front, not so much.)   Also, Billy Hamilton one of the best under the radar moves, IMO.

Edited by caulfield12

I feel like the significance of Engel's absence has been overshadowed by Eloy and Robert. Engel gives you A+ defense at all three OF spots, A+ baserunning, and as of recently, quality hitting with power. Assuming he can stay healthy, he's the reason why I'm looking at 2B and C for trade upgrades before I'm looking in the outfield.

• Like 1

I like the move. Engel over Eaton was the right call. Goodwin wouldn’t of been a good move. I’d rather just for right now until the trade deadline have ENGEL, GOODWIN, HAMILTON, VAUGHN, SHEETS AND BURGER. our pitching staff will keep us in games until the cavalry arrives in late August. Grandl, Robert, Jimenez, and whatever happens at the deadline, then decisions will have to be made  it would WILL BE INTERESTING 

20 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I feel like the significance of Engel's absence has been overshadowed by Eloy and Robert. Engel gives you A+ defense at all three OF spots, A+ baserunning, and as of recently, quality hitting with power. Assuming he can stay healthy, he's the reason why I'm looking at 2B and C for trade upgrades before I'm looking in the outfield.

Indeed. I was kind of stoked to see how Engel would do this year . Just a lot of little signs over the years that he was ready to contribute more offensively against more than LHP . He has some very real pop and seems to barrel up the ball often now.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Indeed. I was kind of stoked to see how Engel would do this year . Just a lot of little signs over the years that he was ready to contribute more offensively against more than LHP . He has some very real pop and seems to barrel up the ball often now.

He's still got a chance, if he can stay healthy.  There's at least a month before Robert will be ready and Engel is going to get the lion's share of the CF at bats.  If he does well there, he can get plenty of ab's in the corners given the offensive and/or defensive liabilities of Vaughn/Goodwin/Sheets/Lamb etc.  I'll be interested to see how he does.  When he's been healthy, he has looked very good.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I agree... a true 5 tool player ability.

On 7/7/2021 at 4:08 PM, Getupstretch39 said:

Surprised and happy at the move! 

Side question that is semi-off topic but I'm curious:  What happens to the player when this happens on the road?  Do they fly back separately from the team? Will Eaton go back to Chicago or back to his regular home (no idea where he resides) and wait to clear waivers?  I've always wondered the logistics of this from a player standpoint. 

The player gets airfare to return home. I am assuming the player gets to select his city of choice when he rents in Chicago but lives permanently elsewhere, unless a player must declare their "home city" for all compensation (including tax withholding). Would be cool if a player can ask for a ticket to say New Zealand or somewhere else they would like to visit.

From the CBA

(5) In the case of termination by the Club of a Player’s contract during the championship season or during Spring Training, reasonable traveling expenses, including first-class jet air fare and meals en route, to the Player’s home city.

• 3 weeks later...