Is it time to give TLR his due? And maybe some apologies?

ron883

The team has been decimated by injuries, but is absolutely crushing the division. "Tony's guys" like Leury and Hamilton would get shit on left and right for being played too often. Now they are fan favorites and are integral to the team. No matter who goes down, the team steps up and finds a way to win. 

Maybe it's time to give TLR his due? Going further, there are plenty of people here that have said some very mean things about TLR. Very nasty things. Many people owe him an apology, including myself. I'm sorry Tony. Ricky renteria wouldn't be carrying this team like TLR has. The team and is simply united. It looks like a storybook season tbh. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Without a long dissertation I will just agree. Yes he’s done a good job. I was wishy-washy when he was hired. I wanted Bouchy not an apology though. We’ll never agree with every move a manger makes but he hasn’t made too many bad decisions. If he was influential in keeping Engel instead of Eaton, GREAT MOVE.  

• Like 2

Yeah...the entire body of work is hard to argue against...but he has had some head-scratching moments...some caused all by himself!  Purposely?  Maybe but we will never know!  I was 100% against the hiring of TLR...but I hope he manages us to a WS victory in October!

His game management still leaves a lot to be desired and still puts games in jeopardy - as recently as this road trip.  Let’s not pretend that the next man up chemistry/magic washes all of that way.  They still play dumb / bad D far too often and really are still afloat because of a terrible division.  Not everything is TLR’s fault by any means and despite so many obstacles he’s also not the entire reason why they are in 1st.  I still firmly believe they have a better record with a better manager. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

Nope.  I owe him nothing. 

I don't think you were one of the posters but weren't there uh, certain people here that were uh, almost certain (if not certain) that when he was hired TLR was going to sink the entire season?  Guess we should have been yelling at the training staff instead.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

Every time I'm ready to come around on him something dumb happens. 

This would be true of any manager in the history of the game. Sure, you wouldn’t have to “come around” on some guys because you might like them from the beginning, but every single manager would make decisions that are head scratchers.

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't think you were one of the posters but weren't there uh, certain people here that were uh, almost certain (if not certain) that when he was hired TLR was going to sink the entire season?  Guess we should have been yelling at the training staff instead.

He was definitely one of those guys

T. McKenzie, 10 starts, 6.38 ERA

JC Mejia, 6 starts, 6.16 ERA

Logan Allen, 7 starts, 9.13 ERA

S. Hentges, 7 starts, 8.22 ERA

Eli Morgan, 5 starts, 8.44 ERA

If you removed 35 starts from the White Sox rotation and gave them a $50 million budget instead of $130+ million (and traded Tim Anderson and Giolito, the equivalents of Lindor and Carrasco before the season) what would happen?

I guess the better question is would Ventura, Bevington and Manuel NOT have this 2021 White Sox team in first place?

Especially when their second place opponent has lost 11 out of 12 games now.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

Just now, Melton1972 said:

Wait until the Sox lose 2 or 3 games in a row. Then everyone will pile on TLR. When things turn sour, he is the first in the line of fire.

And he is OK with that. He's fine taking the heat off the players. 

11 minutes ago, ron883 said:

And he is OK with that. He's fine taking the heat off the players. 

So the whole unwritten rules controversy with Yermin, the DUI, the over reliance on bunting, strange bullpen decisions and lack of defensive positioning, LH/RH crap…all were part of some grand strategy to unite the team together?

How Ozzie-like.

You realize you’re staking a position now just to stoke a controversy that you’re going to have to continually defend in the future, like Giolito and Parkman.

In fact, Hibbard finally gave up on the bombardment of positive threads, realizing you can’t force posters to change their perspectives, anymore than SoxTalk requiring members to read and write a book report on How to Win Friends and Influence People would change the tone of 95+% of sports related boards on the internet.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

So the whole unwritten rules controversy with Yermin, the DUI, the over reliance on bunting, strange bullpen decisions and lack of defensive positioning…all were part of a grand strategy to unite the team together?

How Ozzie-like.

You can't deny the team is united. There's no doubt about it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Thread makes it seem like peoples main criticisms of TLR are about tactics. I would disagree.

It's an interesting point of debate: his fiercest defenders love the same thing his fiercest critics loathe: his man management.

Everyone know where I am on that.  You don't get to be a HOF baseball person manager without being a helluva people person.  Didn't work on the cop tho.

14 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's an interesting point of debate: his fiercest defenders love the same thing his fiercest critics loathe: his man management.

Everyone know where I am on that.  You don't get to be a HOF baseball person manager without being a helluva people person.  Didn't work on the cop tho.

I think there are some specific examples here where I wouldn’t change my judgement of them even if I had benefit of knowing it worked out, and it mostly did. 

I think the Idea today that fans were wrong about Leury and he was right is a little overblown. I love Leury, but it was a real drag. He was put in a tough position of needing to play but also having to play against RHP because we had better LHP options. 

Soxtalk constantly wants to platoon players, but it’s nice to remember how hard this game is. TLR knew we needed a lot of Leury this year, and knew the investment in giving him more reps would pay off. It did. But it’s not like dude is an all star. He’s just acceptably below average now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I listen to the tigers broadcasters every now and then and Kirk Gibson absolutely adores TLR, defends him quite often

one comment he made stuck out, he said "Tony knows how to keep the clubhouse loose, when guys are struggling he knows how to take the heat off the dogs to keep em running" or something to that effect

edit: it also seemed like he preferred a guy like Tony vs Hinch, but that isn't surprising, a lot of people in baseball despise Hinch

Edited by joesaiditstrue
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

This thread scares the shit out of me because anything ron posts about the opposite occurs...

Well, the Indians are still a long ways from getting Civale and Bieber back, but Plesac returns tmrw against KC.

Civale was given permission recently by Dr. Thomas Graham to start playing catch to test the injured middle finger on his right hand. Civale was leading the AL with 10 wins when he went on the injured list following his start against the Cubs on June 21.

Antonetti said Bieber, whose last start was June 13, will undergo another exam this weekend to help determine when he can pick up a baseball again. He went on the injured list with an inflamed subscapularis muscle in the rotator cuff of his right shoulder.

“It’s safe to say we’re still weeks away,” said Antonetti, when asked when Civale and Bieber could rejoin Plesac in the rotation. cleveland.com/sports

If it was the premature demise of Abreu, that would be more worrisome.  Somewhere out there is another version of Ron STILL waiting for Nelson Cruz to stop hitting.  

But I’m not altogether sure “OUR Ron” could survive another 5-6 years of Jose producing. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1